Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Dini - thanks for the calendar...the list was taxing on my and I'm sure on Chimboree! I have a friend in Fairbanks (Alaska) who uses vitalady.com...I think they're out of California, but they are very helpful and if they can't send stuff to you, I'm sure they could recommend someone! Good luck with that.

Bobberts_mom - I can feel for you with nightmareish hospital moments...I have a degree in Health Care Administration and I live in bush Alaska...oh, boy, there's things in need of changin'! My son got attacked by a pit bull last month...we ran to the hospital (there's only one joint with docs here), this being our first encounter in this town, I went straight to the "Emergency Room" to find....NOTHING...yep, that's right! We ended up at the clinic and had about 5 trainees, PA's, Docs see us before he was stitched and bandaged up. It's Indian Health Care...Alaska is quite equipped when it comes to IHC, nothing like you hear about on reservations, but still....inadequate for the price you're paying (and most of the time the billers can't figure out what to charge!) Just gotta laugh about it. Stay informed, read their "Patient's Bill of Rights"....prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Mike - decided on the band for a very simple reason...I have a friend that had the bypass and she farts all the time...really, that's it...of course there's the underlying reasons of: don't want to re-do the plumbing, recovery time, cost, risk, not eating LOTS of reg. foods, malnutrition, etc., but the farting is what has stuck with me for 6 years!

Man, I had to read three pages of posts...I feel like I haven't been on in quite some time. New people too! Welcome!

...I have a degree in Health Care Administration and I live in bush Alaska...

So do I!! I have a minor in Business Admin, too. Now ask me if I'm doing anything w/either of them? :rolleyes:

W/all the recent screw ups in healthcare, it seems I should be. (Side note: Did you hear about the lady in LA that died right in the ER?!?!?! She was vomiting blood and they wouldn't help her...wow. What's up w/that???)

Wrangler, you are moving along quickly. Sometimes I felt like they should just do a full body MRI and check out everything. I feel better though. I haven't ever been checked out this thoroughly and as I am getting older, issues can arise. I think the only thing not done is a mammography. Since my Primary care doc wants me to have one yearly, I will try to get it in before the surgery. Having just have a colonoscopy within the last 6 months, I will feel like I have been checked from head to toe...wait a minute, I HAVE been checked from head to toe...:biggrin1:

Dini, you are going to have to give a report on the Protein supplements.< /p>

I did a great deal of internet research last night on the issue of maximum of 25 gm protein. I did find on vegetarian site that stated that. I read numerous research studies and the gist was you need to replace what you lose. Protein is like any other nutrient (carbs, fat) in that if you take in more than you use it will convert to fat. Protein absorption varies based on the type of protein it is (animal, plant) and even the type within each group. Several studies used supplements containing 50+ gm. per serving. Protein is broken down starting in the stomach with most absorption in the duodenum and upper small intestine. This is why protein deficiency is such a potential problem in gastric bypass patients. If you are not real active your protein needs are lower. The more physical activity, the more protein you need. Recommendations ranged from 0.3 gm/kg body weight(RDA), the average was 0.8 gm/kg, with athelete and exercise anywhere from 1-2 gm/kg. So the overall consensus was there is no set amount to take in or not take in at one time and you should work with your nutritionalist, based on your activity level, come up with a daily amount. It was stated it is better to space it out through the day as you use protein throughout the day.

I sure hope this was not too much and too detailed information. I am really into research...:rolleyes:

Another thing, the vegetarian site that stated 25 gms max or it turns into fat did not list any research this was based on. They just made the statement. The other material I read was research articles in peer reviewed journals.

Chimboree - Yep, I *try* to stay connected to the news in the outside world...I think there was an ENORMOUS lack of care for that woman. There's going to be a HUGE lawsuit I'm sure. (Of course, it was also noted that she was carted away by the police because there was a warrant for her - she died in their care - and so the snob in me says that the whole family probably has issues and a lawsuit is just going to give some very undeserving people money....but, really, trying not to judge here!) Can you tell my background is quality and risk management?

To note: talked to my nutritionist the other day and she said to try to get a Protein Shake that has around 15g Protein with 100-150 calories. The goal is to get a decent amount (15-20g) of protein for the fewest calories. She suggested Carb Solutions, Slim Fast High Protein, and Edge Body for Life shakes. Also she said that there is a Beneprotien powder that you can add to stuff like yogurt - supposed to be tasteless, but you never know!

I have tried the Beneprotein powder at my taste testing class. It is ok. We tried it mixed in unsweetened applesauce, and I did taste an aftertaste, and it probably would of been better with a sweetner in it, but I'm thinking if you put it in pudding, or Soup, you probably won't even know it's there.

That 25 g of Protein thing still has me confused. Take for instance, the Atkins diet. Though I never was able to do this well, because I love my fruit, but I've always heasr people say they could eat as much protein on that diet and still lose weight. I'm sure these people were not excercising, or using all their protein for energy, but they still lost weight. Very interesting.

...Can you tell my background is quality and risk management?

So is mine! I have always been in the QA arena. JCAHO was always my favorite time of year. LOL!!! I want to get involved more in risk mgmt, but not sure what path in life I really want to take.

So is mine! I have always been in the QA arena. JCAHO was always my favorite time of year. LOL!!! I want to get involved more in risk mgmt, but not sure what path in life I really want to take.

When I grow up I want to be the State Ombudsman. I'm a patient advocate at heart...and a little loud-mouthed! Ahhhh....Joint Commission....brings back fond memories....NOT! LOL!

Sunshine6855

2bthinagn

Nulife2be

Quinn

Dakota476

ChickB13

could you guys let me know if you gets your dates so i can pop you on the calendar also can everyone else check the calendar to make sure i've got the dates right and that your also on it.

Sunny i'm looking forward to giving you my opinion on the shakes but they just emailed me saying delivery will be 10-14 days. i'm not inpressed particular since there charging me 70$ that could be 3 weeks thats madness.

Lynette i have found lots of places since last night in the uk and ireland but there want to charge me over doubl the price of the usa thats not going to happen i'd rather buy the slim fast type of shakes. i'm not being a cheap ass but i think the prices are taking the piss!!!

welcome purplegirl!

I'm not the baby of the group anymore!!! your very young! i totally agree with getting it young. we've a great group going on here you'll love it! i'll add you to the calandar let us know when you get your date!! welcome

So DIni,

I wonder how much shipping would be if I purchased something for you here and shipped it to you there? I wonder how long it would take?

Purplegirl,

Welscome to the Lucky 7's. I wish I could of had done this at 16. It would saved me tons of problems. Good for you for doing something now about the weight. You'll be able to live a long, happy life.

Lynette my daring it would cost the same due to heartache and hassle!!! but thanks for even thinking about it. not a lot of people out there like you shows you've a big heart.

i think we should like all meet next summer or something. how cool would a cruise with our NEW AND IMPROVED SELVES be.

a friend of mine is doing so with others from a different website and i think its brill idea. she said after talking to people for like a year you feel like you know one another already and she is so looking forward to it. anyways just a suggestion!!