Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Is anyone else having problems w/ not drinking with their meals. This is driving me completely insane. I think it is the hardest part of this whole process. When I eat I feel like I need to drink something in between. And I am so thirsty after I eat it is hard to go an hour. Also are we supposed to be sipping our drinks still. Because when my hour is finally up I just gulp down that smooth tea...he he

Tenille- I am finding that quite an adjustment. I am so used to drinking with my meals. I cant wait for the hour to be up also.

Tenille My nutritionist told me to wait half an hour before and after meals. From the time I'm done eating. I find it difficult also. I'm so used to having liquids to wash all the food down. But from the beginning I started to use that rule when I was still on Clear Liquids, so that small period kind of got me in the swing of things. Still, there are times when I do wish I could drink with my meals and have almost made the mistake of doing so. Now I keep all drinks out of reach when I'm eating so my hand doesn't automatically go for it.

Today was hard. I felt like I was hungry all day long. I waited until

2 1/2 hours before eating, but I was still hungry after finishing my small meals. Finally tonight after my last meal I feel somewhat satisfied. I had Black Bean soup.....full of Fiber and protien. But to be honest, right now I am craving something to crunch. These mushies are killing me, I want to chew, but as much as Im chewing mushie food.......its not doing it for me.

What about some crackers only4me? My doc told me to break them up and pop them in my Soup to kind of dissolve, but I must confess a couple of times I've bitten them and chewed them to pieces, then washed it down with a spoonful of soup. Having the crunchy, salty taste in my mouth briefly was great. ;)

II have noticed too that if I drink or eat too fast sometimes I get hiccups.

ribearty- I do the same thing. I can tell when my band is 'ready to stop eating' and I am drinking to fast because just like you I get a hiccup. If I ignore it and eat a couple more bites HOLY COW the hiccups are terrible and very loud. I have never had that before!! My family has gotten so as soon as they hear me hiccup my kids will say 'you've had enough' LOL

Jackie, cottage cheese (low fat to boot) is not a cheat. You are probably craving it because of the nutrition it provides. Personally I hate it and cannot get it past my lips. But if you are craving it, go for it. I would be more concerned if you were craving ice cream or Cookies (which is what I crave all day).

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your exercise plan is amazing, and you are making such wonderful food choices. The stall in your weight probably has much more to do with Aunt Flo and the stress you have placed on yourself than anything else. Relax, and let your body heal. Wait until you have some restriction before expecting anything amazing with your weight.

Lose the stress, and enjoy the moment.

kathybad- Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I used to not like cottage cheese either and would eat it maybe 1-2 times a year but now I eat a little EVERY TIME I eat a meal. I feel like I just can't get enough. LOL

I haven't had the sweets cravings. I don't think I was ever a big one on sweets though. The only time I was was when aunt flo called (1 week prior) and let me know she was on her way and then WATCH OUT!!! I was on the hunt for anything chocolately. I am happy to report though that this month it is different. I am not even craving the sweets. THANK GOD!!! Hope that continues because it used to be like I had NO CONTROL during hat week. DQ about every night for that whole week. LOL

Yes, I told him a week ago. He was thrilled. I created a powerpoint presentation using photos from the resorts website. The presentation took him through the itinerary and snapshots of the resort. The final slide told him how I had arranged for babysitting.

I then reminded him that I had 3 other business trips this fall that I had to go on. He said "Yeah, I know... but I'm going to Palm Springs Baby!"

Kathybad- I am soooo happy for you and your hubby. You two will have so much fun together. Great time to get reacquainted with one another' if ya know what I mean. ;)

Jackie Anne said it better that I could - it took 3 times on the scale to lose 2 lbs - scales are fickle things - with aunt flo in the neighborhood take it with a grain of salt - Also we lost alot of weight fast that 1st week after surgery (combined with pre-op) and our body has to catch up.... Stay positive - "The Secret"

Indiogirl- You are all so wonderful!!! You make me feel so 'understood'. This forum and all of you are what keeps me focused. I love knowing that no matter what it seems like I am experiencing I can come on hear and others know exactly how I am feeling.

Holy Cow, Girl!!!! YOU got your hands FULL ... those are tough ages!!! At least they were for me! Those were the ages that I was NEVER right, they had ALL the answers, and loved to prove it to me!!! God Bless YOU, lol!!!! Still, sometimes, now that mine are 21 and 23, I wish I would have taken a little more time to enjoy those ages! They went by so fast, but some of it, I think is necessary, because all of those disagreements we had, made them into pretty nice, responsible, adults! They are definitely able to think for themselves, lol!!:P

dmtjet- I have a almost 16 (9 more days until her birthday) and a 14 year old. I am telling you somedays (more than I care to admit) I think I will go bonkers before they are 18. LOL They know EVERYTHING and just don't like me at this age. Doesn't matter what I say or do it just isn't right. Guess that is the teenage years. My mom and I were talking on the phone earlier today and I was talking about the attitudes and she said to me 'you kids did the same thing when you were that age.' I said there is no way I was this mouthy and hateful at times' She said 'oh yes you were and don't you remember me telling you someday I hope you have kids that act just like you are right now so you know how it feels.' Before we hung up I told my mom 'mom I am sorry about the way that I was during those teen years and I love you.' She said 'and Courtney and Austin will say the same to you someday when they move out and are on their own.'

A very wise women I met a couple of years ago asked me how old my kids were. I told her 12 and 14 (at the time). She said 'not many more years and they will be grown and gone' I said 'yeah and I dread that day. When I think of it I already miss them and that isn't even for a few years. I don't want them to leave home.' She said 'I have raised 4 kids and they are all over 18. There is a reason why GOD saves the teen years for the last stretch while they live at home. It is to help parents get over that I dont want them to go faze. After going through the teen years the day will come for them to move out and you will be more than glad to help them pack and be on their way.' LOL

At the time I didn't think a whole lot of what she said. Now sometimes today I think of that when the kids are mouthing or what not and I think 'man she was a very wise women.!!!!!!!!!!!!!' LOL

Love these kids to pieces but I tell you somedays at certain times it can be questionable. LOL

Tenille, I forget all the time and I drink Water when I eat. Tonight I got a little sudden heartburn as a reminder but until I read your post, I didn't even relate it! Obvious this bander thinks it is a hard thing to do!! I will take your post and encouragement and do a better job myself!! Thanks, CC

Is anyone else having problems w/ not drinking with their meals. This is driving me completely insane. I think it is the hardest part of this whole process. When I eat I feel like I need to drink something in between. And I am so thirsty after I eat it is hard to go an hour. Also are we supposed to be sipping our drinks still. Because when my hour is finally up I just gulp down that smooth tea...he he

I will drink prior like 15 minutes - don't understand why you cant drink before and yes after i eat i want to drink - i only have to wait 1/2 hr but that seems like 10 when you are thristy. I can gulp too. but i think this is cuz i don't have much restriction.

Another question - I wasnt that big of a salt person prior to surgery but now i want salt not sweets - my potastium (sp) was low after surgery cuz i remember them giving me extra. maybe that why ?? who knows...

Indiogirl- You are all so wonderful!!! You make me feel so 'understood'. This forum and all of you are what keeps me focused. I love knowing that no matter what it seems like I am experiencing I can come on hear and others know exactly how I am feeling.

Jackie

Isnt strange how we are of different ages, from all over the US and UK (dini) we are all so different and yet again so alike. IMHO our obesity is the thread that connects us. We all have the same issues - some diff some alike - so for me it is so EASY to understand your furstrations with the scale - i wasn't kidding Thrusday i got on the scale 3 time before i went to work and had 3 different readings... I hate the scale.... Just keep pluging away and the pound will come off..

dmtjet- I have a almost 16 (9 more days until her birthday) and a 14 year old. I am telling you somedays (more than I care to admit) I think I will go bonkers before they are 18. LOL They know EVERYTHING and just don't like me at this age. Doesn't matter what I say or do it just isn't right. Guess that is the teenage years. My mom and I were talking on the phone earlier today and I was talking about the attitudes and she said to me 'you kids did the same thing when you were that age.' I said there is no way I was this mouthy and hateful at times' She said 'oh yes you were and don't you remember me telling you someday I hope you have kids that act just like you are right now so you know how it feels.' Before we hung up I told my mom 'mom I am sorry about the way that I was during those teen years and I love you.' She said 'and Courtney and Austin will say the same to you someday when they move out and are on their own.'

A very wise women I met a couple of years ago asked me how old my kids were. I told her 12 and 14 (at the time). She said 'not many more years and they will be grown and gone' I said 'yeah and I dread that day. When I think of it I already miss them and that isn't even for a few years. I don't want them to leave home.' She said 'I have raised 4 kids and they are all over 18. There is a reason why GOD saves the teen years for the last stretch while they live at home. It is to help parents get over that I dont want them to go faze. After going through the teen years the day will come for them to move out and you will be more than glad to help them pack and be on their way.' LOL

At the time I didn't think a whole lot of what she said. Now sometimes today I think of that when the kids are mouthing or what not and I think 'man she was a very wise women.!!!!!!!!!!!!!' LOL

Love these kids to pieces but I tell you somedays at certain times it can be questionable. LOL

OK i have raise 1 son already - and now I am raising his son who's 16 (my Grandson) - I was 36 the 1st time so it didn't seem to faze me too much -(that i can remember anyway) but this time - You say Hi how are you doing today and you get that look - or that tone of voice - don't bug me. I sure miss the time when he was little and idolized me... But this too shall pass - I know he loves me even though he doesn't show it.

One nite while he was out he called an apoligized for being such a butthead - it really shocked me and like i told him "I don't pay attention to your nastiness (too much anyway) I know that you are a teenager so i take you with a grain of salt. And no we weren't as nasty to our parents - we are of a diff generation (or at least i am) where we didn't back talk or we would get slapped from here to kindgom come.

Good luck - I feel your pain and it's my 2nd go around ;)

Jeanie--You have given me hope, because there are some days where I feel like it is nothing but disagreements, and an soon as I am finished with one, I turn around and someone else is coming at me with something else. I have always let them speak their mind, because when I was a child, I was never allowed to have an opinion. But sometimes I wonder if I have created my own situation, but I do know that they will always speak up for what they feel is their rights.

only4me- I know exactly how you feel. I have a going to be 16 in 9 days and a 14 year old and that seems to be all we do is disagree also. I am told I am to strict because 'so and so's parents are letting them go' or 'so and so's parents let them blah blah blah'. When they are older I hope they can look back and say 'oh yeah now I know why mom did/said this or that'. I don't have the problems of them drinking, having sex, or drugs or lying'. It is the mouthing part and the attitude. I guess I shouldnt complain because I could have it alot worse and that the stars above that they have listened to me about the other stuff thus far. My daughter, the 16 year old, actually came to me about 2 months ago and asked if I would buy her a Purity Ring. For those that do not know about them it is a ring that they wear that symbolizes their promise to be pure until marriage. I about fell over but was so happy when she asked. We immediately went and I bought her one and surprised her with it. She is so proud because she wanted it blessed by our pastor and now on her wedding day she will give that to her new husband. She is a very deep and responsible girl but as most teens are she is mouthy and knows EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure you did a wonderful job! Loving them is tough, but full of rewards! Some day they will understand just how difficult it was all those years and look back and "admire" the way we handled it!!! At least, that is what I am hoping for, lol! It is a shame that there are soooo many things in the world that we have to anticipate and prepare them for! It's a shame that the world can be such a nasty place to grow up in!;)

dmtjet- it sounds like you have a wonderful relationship with your children. I do have a good relationship but it is just the daily whoas of life with teens. My kids lost their dad when he was 35 to complications of juvenile diabetis and I try to 'hold on to tight and need to learn to start letting go some', as my daughter tells me. I admit that is something that I must work on just so damn hard. We as adults know how precious and short life can actually be and they just don't understand that. They are wonderful and caring kids they just want their independence. My daughter gets upset because she thinks I am always looking at all the bad or negative that can happen in different situations and I try to explain to her that is because I am a mom and that is what we do and someday she will understand. In the mean time I will continue to be the mom that is 'to strict' and 'to over protective' LOL

On another note, Hunter has his preschool evaluation on Tuesday. I really hope he decides to start going on the potty. He can do it, he just doesn't want to. I'm about ready to let him run naked in the house today so he has to run into the bathroom,LOL.

lynnette- Oh the joys of potty training. HAHA My daughter would pee in the potty but not pooh so I took her diaper off one day and let her run around the house naked too. When she had to pooh she came to me running crying diaper holding her bottom and I told her 'go to the potty' she cried and ran back in forth for a little bit holding her butt but finally she figured out she wasn't getting the diaper and she didn't want to go on the floor so she ran in and sat on her potty chair and went. LOL After that there was NO WAY she would let you put a diaper on for naps or anything. Her highlight then was that she 'pooh'ed in the potty chair' and she told everyone we seen. Strangers or whomever would listen. LOL Gosh I miss those younger days!!!

I go to the physicologist tomorrow for my post op appointment. Anyone else seeing the physicologist post surgery? I think it good to stay on track. I've already seen the dietician, and she told me I didn't have to see her again, unless I wanted to, but if it helps keep me on track, then I think it's great to utilize them. Besides, they are free with my program fee I've already paid.

I don't see the psychiatrist or the diatician after surgery. Seen them both before but I do want to go back to the diatician and take my kids with. I talked with my family doc and he said he would make the recommendation for me. I think it is important for them also. I am sure they will love this!!

As far as food demons for me...I know that eating until I am satisfied is a hard concept. Im not really sure what that feels like. I really have to sit there and think....Am I satisfied yet?... I am really having a hard time judging that...To me satisfied was when I was full. This new satisfied is a very grey area for me. I am just eating what a serving size is for me right now (between a 1/2 and one Cup)--but I really feel like I could still eat. So if I feel like I could still eat, does that mean I am satisified?

only- I am having the same problem. I don't know what satisfied means. Satisfied to me is (this is terrible to admit) stuffed and uncomfortable. That is how I got where I am.

My surgeons PA told me at my last appointment if I find that I am able to eat more than a 1/2 -1 cup of food each time not to get freaked out because I have no restriction. SHe told me to make healthy choices and to try to not go over 1 1/2 cups at a time. I try to stick to the 1 cup mark but have gone over a few times and then I feel bad. Just doesn't seem worth it so I do ok with the 1 cup.

I have found just how much I used to drink with each meal though. I never realized that before. Now half way through a meal I want a drink and then I think 'this eating and then waiting just isn't worth it' so a few times I have stopped eating before I was finished so that I could start my 45 minutes after eating so that I can get a drink sooner. That is ok though I don't need it. I get what my body needs in a day.

Jackie, I just got an idea about your weight stall! I am losing but I used to exercise a lot. I know the muscle added to my weight. I imagine that without my really hard workouts, I am losing muscle which is speeding up my weight. You on the other hand, sound like you are exercising MORE than you used to. (I will get back to normal soon). You might be building muscle which will burn more calories each day than your fat, so the more the better, even if it weighs more on the scale, because you will look better and lose faster eventually! Thats my take based on my own past experiences. With everything you are doing the fat loss is there. You will start to show the weight loss eventually and will speed past non exercisers!! CC

TENILLE- I just posted in one of my book length previous posts about this. I never realized how much I actually drink during a meal until now. Now as soon as I am finished eating I walk straight to my stove timer and set it for 45 minutes and wait it out. UUUGGGHHHH Can't wait for that timer to go off!!!!

Jackie, I just got an idea about your weight stall! I am losing but I used to exercise a lot. I know the muscle added to my weight. I imagine that without my really hard workouts, I am losing muscle which is speeding up my weight. You on the other hand, sound like you are exercising MORE than you used to. (I will get back to normal soon). You might be building muscle which will burn more calories each day than your fat, so the more the better, even if it weighs more on the scale, because you will look better and lose faster eventually! Thats my take based on my own past experiences. With everything you are doing the fat loss is there. You will start to show the weight loss eventually and will speed past non exercisers!! CC

NewCC- you are right. Muscle weighs more than fat and burns more calories. I just have to keep reminding myself of that. I have been doing very well (tooting my own horn here-sorry) with the exercising. I am actually really LIKING to exercing right now. Never in a MILLION years would I have thought I would say that. There have been times when I have thought about skipping for the day but then I get myself up and get moving. Didn't get where I am now exercing everyday. It feels so good to get on the treadmill and the bike now and walk at the high speeds. I am walking at a 3.6-4.2 now and I am not even getting winded really bad. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks for your encouragement. I love you all and know that I wouldn't/couldn't do this without your support. ;)

Laurend - I've always felt the best way to learn (or re-learn in your case) is to teach. It will all come back to you and you may even come up with better ways to comprehend and remember the material!:car:

Jeanie - Girl, you have way too much time on your hands! Either that or you took a speed reading and typing course in your early years! I'm not having any "issues" with my fill...in fact I actually kind of thought I'd feel different, but don't.

NewCC - I personally hope that those food demons leave! I LOVE to feel full...not just satisfied. I LOVE to feel a huge wad of food be chewed and swallowed. This is just a whole new "satisfied" feeling we have to get used to so we can be successful!

Tenille - Yes, I wanna drink with meals. This has been a hard habit to break. I've started keeping a glass, but with only about 2 oz of liquid in it at the table...not enough for a good swig if you know what I mean. When I get the urge to drink I realize that it's not going to satisfy me and so I just let it go. Also, the liquid has helped in the past when something got stuck...make it just a little moist and happy, happy, joy, joy feelings come 'round again.:hungry:

I went to a wedding yesterday and after eating (small meal of chicken, Tomato salad, and watermelon - ok, there were more choices, but I was sticking to small and chewable). I get a call from my mom (who is watching my 2 yr old daughter) saying, "I was in the kitchen....(phone cut out)...meet me at the emergency room!" :car::help: I raced out of the reception and (than heavens I had borrowed her Corvette - great car in case of emergency!) met her at the hospital. Turns out the little stinker had gotten into Miracle Grow...covered herself head to toe (mouth too). Well, mom paniced and didn't think to call Poison Control first. So...after an hour in emergency and $100 co pay....it's HARMLESS! :nervous

So I put my girl to bed and went back to the party...thing is...I was STARVING when I got there! I managed to stick to black olives and a SMALL slice of cake, but after all that, I think I deserved some friggin' cake! Ok, they were weird people and the cake was sugar free, but it was still cake!:D

I'm still baffled why I was hungry...I mean my stomach was grumbling! I can't tell if I actually have restriction or if I'm limiting myself right now. I'm hungry right now, that's for sure!:hungry:

My doc tells me to eat three meals a day and have a Protein shake as an after Breakfast and after lunch snack to even things out. I have to admit that I don't do that.....

I usually have a shake for Breakfast and some fruit (like a banana). Then nothing until lunch, which could also be a shake, and then I EAT a snack and EAT dinner...sometimes I graze in the evening, but it's always something small, low calorie/carb...yeah, I suck at following diets.

Thanks to MarcyinAK I found my Lucky # Sevens! I was so happy to be invited to join y'all.

I get my first fill today. I'm a little nervous, but excited too. Between surgery and first post-op appt I had lost 15 lbs. At post-op was started on real food, and since I didn't feel any restriction, promptly gained five pounds within the first week. Well, as of this morning I've gotten that five pounds off, and will not be embarrassed to weigh in today :-) Whew! Dodged that bullet. I was feeling like such a failure because I had GAINED weight.

I've pretty much been eating anything I want (within reason), just keeping my portions small. I honestly haven't been exercising and have SO many good reasons (NOT). I'm promising myself that I'll start this week. Why not today?

Thanks again for having me here. It's great to take a look at other band-its who are at the same general stage as I am.