Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second Guessing my decision for surgery

I've been second guessing my decision opting for VSG surgery. My mother in law recently passed away and it really has me thinking if I am making the right decision for myself. I have 3 kids and a great wife. I weight 345Lbs and my highest weight has been 360. I've given up soda about 1 1/2 months ago and have no craving for the stuff, I have been eating better preparing for the surgery and have found it to be pretty easy. I'm not looking forward to the 2week Pre-op liquid diet I start on Dec 22nd. My surgery date is Jan 5th. I guess I am really worried about the permanent change to my body more than anything else, I have had friends go thru the surgery and have had bad bowel issues for 2years or anemia and are always tired. And yes they have lost 100lbs or so each and wouldn't change a thing about their decisions. I don't know if I am just going thru a funk right now or what.. ANYBODY else have the same feelings??

I guess for me it was a no brainier. I lost my brother when he was 30 to sleep apnea, something that this surgery could have completely prevented. Good luck with your decision, but also remember that you will be adding years to your life and life to those years!

Toemato, Tamato --- You're worried about your health after the surgery.....I was worried about my health if I didn't get the surgery.

For me the after part was a maybe.....but the risks of health issues or even death without it, were pretty much guaranteed.

And finally, if you didn't have some concerns or second....and third and forth and fifth "guessing" your decision....... you wouldn't be normal.

You'll pretty much be mulling it over right up to the "count backwards from 100" in the OR. Good luck ;)

Edited by Recycled

I'm anemic post op but have tons of energy and workout 7-9x a week ????

Before and after post-195336-14161765802741_thumb.jpg

I agree with the above statements it is normal to have these feelings but I would be more concern about not having the surgery and dealing with the fact that knowing what obesity can do to your health and your love ones. Good luck on your choice.

Toemato, Tamato --- You're worried about your health after the surgery.....I was worried about my health if I didn't get the surgery.

For me the after part was a maybe.....but the risks of health issues or even death without it, were pretty much guaranteed.

And finally, if you didn't have some concerns or second....and third and forth and fifth "guessing" your decision....... you wouldn't be normal.

You'll pretty much be mulling it over right up to the "count backwards from 100" in the OR. Good luck ;)

Thanks.. I guess. LOL. I know what you mean though. My Dr says, If I lose all the weight he wants me too, I should probably weigh 240lbs anyway, I am just a big sob, but then again I will be healthy enough to have my knees replaced.

Long term goal ~ think of it as making the best choice so you can see your lovely children grow and being a better healthier husband for your wife.

I am presuming she is in full support.

I'm making my life change towards healthy on Dec. 18th.

Best of luck. Stay Calm & Carry On

My Dr says, If I lose all the weight he wants me too, I will be healthy enough to have my knees replaced.

Been there and done that too......If you have any questions about the knees, I'd be happy to fill you in.... ;)

Thx

Did all of you do a two-week pre-op diet? I was told to start mine 48 hours before surgery

The way I looked at it, the consequences of NOT having surgery far outweighed the possible side effects from surgery. I am almost 4 weeks, out and have absolutely no regrets.

It varies. My pre-op liquid diet was ten days.

For the original poster, please consider that I lost my oldest brother at the age of 47. He died of a heart attack and weighed over 420 pounds. He left a widow, a ten year old daughter, an eight year old daughter, and a six year old son.

My mother died of an abdominal aeortic aneurysm at the age of 67, way too young for women in our family who typically live well into their 90s. Grandma made it to 98. Mother weighed 320 pounds and was 5'2".

At some point in time, you will have to tell your children that not every circumstance in life is comfy and cozy. True, the liquid diet and first couple of weeks post-op suck, but are you willing to trade two weeks for possibly extending your life by years? Think of the liquid diet as a right of passage.

If you are concerned about the surgery, here is the way it usually goes down. You are given an IV of something soothing before you go into the O R. After you get on the operating table,

The anesthesiologist will ask you to count backward from 100. 100, 99, 98......wake up - wake up - you did just fine. When the nurse is sure that you are ready to go to a patient room, they wheel you down there and get you situated before the anesthetic wears off.

Actually, I had a morphine pump all the next day, and then hydrocone before I came home on the third day. Yes, they had inserted a catheter after I was out cold. That was removed later in the day after I demostrated that I could walk.

This is a quality of life situation. One of the reasons that we have the three to six month supervised diet is to get us used to making sound decisions about what we eat and drink. Going it on your own takes equal dedication to a plan, but the surgery literally is a tool to help you. Sure, a farmer can hoe a row with oxen, but boy what a difference a tractor makes! Indeed, your smaller stomach will be the boss of you, and that's ok. It limits the amount you can consume, which gives you time to get disciplined to the plan your team gives you.

This is hard, but not so hard that it can't be done. I wish you health and happiness and a long life to enjoy your family.

I've been second guessing my decision opting for VSG surgery. My mother in law recently passed away and it really has me thinking if I am making the right decision for myself. I have 3 kids and a great wife. I weight 345Lbs and my highest weight has been 360. I've given up soda about 1 1/2 months ago and have no craving for the stuff, I have been eating better preparing for the surgery and have found it to be pretty easy. I'm not looking forward to the 2week Pre-op liquid diet I start on Dec 22nd. My surgery date is Jan 5th. I guess I am really worried about the permanent change to my body more than anything else, I have had friends go thru the surgery and have had bad bowel issues for 2years or anemia and are always tired. And yes they have lost 100lbs or so each and wouldn't change a thing about their decisions. I don't know if I am just going thru a funk right now or what.. ANYBODY else have the same feelings??

Second-guessing is totally normal, as yes it is a permanent change. After surgery, it is also totally normal to have some "buyer's remorse" in the beginning as you ask yourself "What in the h*ll did I do to myself?" Almost everyone goes through some of that. I know I did. I cried and cried with remorse for days.

BUT......that was six months ago. I am now close to goal weight, off my BP meds for 3 months now, cholesterol panel all normal for the first time in my life, I look and feel great, and I've added at least 10 years to my life. TOTALLY WORTH IT!!! My only regret now is not doing this years ago.

I feel like I'm REALLY living life now...I'm not sure what you would call what I was doing before...just surviving? But I would definitely do it again, in a heartbeat. I'm not sure what "bowel issues" you refer to. Chronic Constipation is very common, but manageable and much better to deal with than heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, sleep apnea, etc. I take my recommended Vitamins and I've had no issues with anemia or any other deficiencies.

Talk to your doctor about your concerns, and keep in mind THIS IS A LIFE-SAVING SURGERY! :)