Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone in England having their surgery or had surgery ?

Looking for some one in England / London / Sussex anywhere really who has had surgery or is about to or is waiting etc .. Would be great to be able to talk to someone in the same position as me !? X

Hi,

Im in the north East of England. Im currently waiting for surgery. Tbh I have been postponing it all the time. Drs want to give me a date but I can't decide if sleeve or bypass is best for me. My consultant thinks bypass is better.

Im also really really scared of the complications and aftercare nutrition wise.

How are you on your journey?

I'm in South East ???? don't be scared it will be worth it . Well I just wish I could speed up time I haven't got to that part yet but if / when I get the choice I will opt for gastric bypass it just seems more effective to me . .. And yea it will be a struggle but the benefits will out way that . The dietitian should help you with all the nutrition stuff and as for complications the surgery has been around for a while now so technology has come along way and they know so much more about aftercare from all the patients they have operated on. Not gonna lie I've never had a operation before so I can't say I won't be nervous before hand I think that will be my struggle but I feel confident for after though. I have so many health problems and my weight is stopping me from doing so many things . I'm 22 I want to be living life I feel like and old lady ! :(

Hi,

I think the more I read and discuss about my worries, the more I will feel ok.

Hopefully ????

I have an appt with my consultant dec 3rd. Its then he wants a decision regarding my choice. He told me it would be approx 3 months from then to have the surgery.

I thinks its really different here in UK comparing to the States. Seems everyone talking about religiously taking loads of Vitamins and Protein shakes etc

When I asked about Vitamins, they simple said its just over the counter Multi Vitamins.

Doesn't seem enough?

Im 28 and I want another child in the future, so would like to know how pregnancies were with malabsorption etc.

Apart from being obese, currently 17 stone, Im not having any other medical problems.

Mild asthma, and my knees a bit painful. But nothing truly stops me from doing anything. Kids keep me busy.

Have you started losing your goal weight yet? I joined slimming world a yr ago when I first started seeing the Gp regarding surgery and he referred me to slimming world. I have since lost 5 stone, approx 70 lbs.

But its starting to creep back on so, surgery will be a useful tool I think.

Hi Iam in Birminghan UK

Due to be sleeved on teh 20th December to be fair feeling quite nervous not sure what to exect or what to do really, Start my pre op diet next week and seems like an impossible task but one I will achive looking for anyone else on here who is gettin sleeved around the same time as a sort of buddy i suppose!

Hi,

I wish you luck! Im sure its scary and worrying as you get near to the date. Are you nhs or private? Im referred by the Gp so nhs. What does your pre op diet include?

Did you choose sleeve or was it suggested by your consultant? My consultant has suggested a bypass for myself, but I feel its really extreme. I have to give my decision early next month.

I am paying for it private as the NHS advised it could take up to 3 years!!!

Not started the pre op yet due to start next week, it consists of 3 pint of semi skimmed milk, 2 yogurts an 2l of Water a day by the look of it

I was given the option of both also and like yourself i felt the bypass was a bit too much so i opted for the sleeve as its less intrusive. Where about in the Uk are you from?

Its great you have chosen your surgery and feel comfortable with your choice.

It is very hard to be referred by your GP in the UK. Before your GP even consider sending your info to the bariatric hospital for evaluation they want proof of you having tried and failed at losing weight.

It has taken 2 years from the very beginning to get this far. I have postponed giving my decision for about 6 months as Im not happy with choosing Bypass, so instead of accepting my choice of a sleeve my surgeon just sends me away to re consider Bypass again!

Ffffsss

I have been to a wls group in the hospital in sunderland who the majority have had a bypass and are happy with it. But still a close friend of my husband who is a bariatric dr has said the Bypass is messy and he himself would not chose that.

Im in Gateshead, North east of England, but Im from Wales. We moved here due to work.

I think your choice of a sleeve is good.

I went to a private consultation for a sleeve and was convinced but the price over £10,000 was too much for me. So waited for the nhs referral.

Reading the comments everyone's got surgery dates so soon !

So lucky ! Whatever you choose will be the right decision we all know what's best for ourselves and should follow our instincts for me if the bypass . My next appointments on the 4th and that's for a group talk about diet pre op / post op with everyone who's waiting . Then again on January 29th for a group talk about different surgeries ... Then the nurse said that's when the tier 3 ends and I get to decide wether I want to proceed with surgery or not . I don't know how long it takes from then on to get a surgery date / see all the other professionals ? Anyone know ? If the 29th is around when I get to accept surgery , I know I have to see the psychiatrist anethesist dietitian surgeon etc ... Am I looking at 1 , 2 , 3 ,4 , 5 months .? I just wish I could speed the process !

Hi, how have you got on? I remember it being at least 7 + months that have passed since my seminar.

I was giving a date on my last appt for December but I have refused, and asked for sometime in February as I do not want to spoil xmas for my family, and in January my husband has his important exams, so Early feb I will have the Sleeve.

It will take some time from the seminar. You have to have your endoscopy first. Which will take a few months. Once thats done it will be another few months before an appt. The drs also have to discuss your case, and all agree. So you must make sure to keep losing weight from now. They wont accept you if you cant show a steady weight loss on each appt.

I have been told if I gain over christmas my surgery will be postponed. So I have to diet ( I am joined with slimming world which are great)

Edited by Amina

Hi, I'm on the South East (Bucks) and I will be having surgery privately in about 8 weeks. My surgeon believes the bypass is best for me as I get quite bad heartburn which can apparently increase with the sleeve so he advised a bypass.

I'm nervous, excited, working hard to lose more in the meantime but it's hard. I know it will get harder after surgery so must keep preparing myself!

Weirdly, I've been dreaming about all the exercise I want to do. I was big as a child and became bigger and bigger until I'm now 139kg, 5"7. I played a lot of tennis and was really good at it- I want to run around on that court again and feel a buzz whizzing that ball back and forth over the net! I also really miss dancing, which I did a lot as a child. Had my husband watching Strictly Come Dancing so I could entice him into lessons with me once I get to a size where I can move around more gracefully!

I want to have a family more than anything now I've turned 30 as we have no kids, just a cat!

If there is anyone who would like a buddy and especially if you live near enough and fancy trying out some dance classes, Zumba etc in a few months, that would be great!

Wishing you all the best of luck,

K x

Hi Kimzie.

Welcome to the forum.

Fab news on your date for a Bypass.

I chose a sleeve as I felt it suited me more. My problem is always quantity, generally healthy foods but big portions.

Im nhs but have had a private consultation back two years ago. I Just wasn't prepared to pay £10k. Glad I didn't As back than hurtful taunts from complete strangers is what made me want surgery. I was not thinking clearly and would not have been prepared, thus probably failing.

Now since joining a slimming group my idea of food has changed. I have lost weight with it, 5 stone.

I feel now Im ready and motivated to get a sleeve because I want to be healthy and happy.

Their are not many people on here from UK. If you have Facebook their are a few private groups you can join. Many people from all over UK. You may find a buddy near you.

Good luck with your surgery, recovery and success in getting to goal.

Thanks Amina, yes I'll have a peek at the groups in Facebook- great idea thanks!

I did lighter life back in 2009/10 as I'd got to about 120kg and didn't want to be huge in the biggest day of my life, my wedding. I lost 4 1/2stone and could fit in a size 16- it was incredible! Now I've gained it all back and more having promised myself I never would! I really think seeing a dietician and a psychologist is helping me to understand how to eat healthily again- I was so disordered in the way I ate only a few months back. I would not eat all day out of guilt for being overweight then be so hungry in the evening I would binge. My self esteem has been so low.

The gastric bypass will be the first tangible start to a long journey of weight management and getting some genuine confidence back. I can't lie, I'm pinning a lot on the surgery to give me the initial boost.

My surgeon believed the surgery can realistically get me to 80-85kg, and he says I'll need to really get addicted to exercise if I want to push for my idea BMI at 65kg.

What are all of your weight goals if you don't mind me asking? Also, what can't you wait to try on and own once your at a size where you can shop where you like? I want to do a capsule wardrobe so I have less pieces but they can all work together and I can spend a little more in each rather than buy tonnes of clothes that will fray or fall apart after a few wears. It's working as great motivation for me! How do you all keep motivated when times get tough?

K x

Thanks Amina, yes I'll have a peek at the groups in Facebook- great idea thanks!

I did lighter life back in 2009/10 as I'd got to about 120kg and didn't want to be huge in the biggest day of my life, my wedding. I lost 4 1/2stone and could fit in a size 16- it was incredible! Now I've gained it all back and more having promised myself I never would! I really think seeing a dietician and a psychologist is helping me to understand how to eat healthily again- I was so disordered in the way I ate only a few months back. I would not eat all day out of guilt for being overweight then be so hungry in the evening I would binge. My self esteem has been so low.

The gastric bypass will be the first tangible start to a long journey of weight management and getting some genuine confidence back. I can't lie, I'm pinning a lot on the surgery to give me the initial boost.

My surgeon believed the surgery can realistically get me to 80-85kg, and he says I'll need to really get addicted to exercise if I want to push for my idea BMI at 65kg.

What are all of your weight goals if you don't mind me asking? Also, what can't you wait to try on and own once your at a size where you can shop where you like? I want to do a capsule wardrobe so I have less pieces but they can all work together and I can spend a little more in each rather than buy tonnes of clothes that will fray or fall apart after a few wears. It's working as great motivation for me! How do you all keep motivated when times get tough?

K x

Well firstly my stats are currently 17.3 stone.

My highest weight was 23 stone. I tend to lose and gain a lot. Never getting below 17! Seems as I have been that weight for so long, when I lose weight and get back to 17 stone I feel comfortable and stall.

I want the sleeve to break through that 17 stone.

I am 5.6ft

I would be happy to be 11 stone. Once Im there I would look at myself and see if I need to maintain or carry on losing.

But who wouldnt love to be a size 8!

I agree on getting a few good quality pieces of clothing rather than a huge pile of clothes that end up as rags soon after. I tend to shop at evans and the quality is good but the clothing style ages me Beyond my age.

Im 29 years old today. ????

I do like smart classy styles though. A fitted little black dress with killer heals would be my motivation. I cant wait to wear it going out to dinner with my hubby.

I also would love to have knee length boots with skinny jeans and a nice blouse for a casual look.

Whats your current stats and goal?