Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it mandatory to quit smoking?

Hello everyone, I have less than a month till my surgery, I quit smoking a week ago and gained 4 lbs :( it is mandatory for everyone to quit smoking? Will they cancel my surgery? Thank you in advance!

Some doctors won't operate unless you do. When I had a spinal fusion last year, the neurosurgeon said that he would not operate unless my boyfriend who is a smoker, promise to not smoke in the house or in my vicinity. The reason is that apparently our bodies heal much better with healthier oxygen to breathe. Can you imagine if you were in a hospital bed and the nurse put that little oxygen device at your nose, and nicotine smoke came out of it for you to inhale?

I don't think they can "tell" if you have quit, but I would suggest for the advantages of healing faster/easier due to the increased circulation, you would be helping yourself out if you quit. I am right now at 60 days out from today (1/15/15 date of surgery) and I have made the promise to myself and my kids that I will quit. Today is day one and I have not had a problem. I am not a heavy smoker, probably a pack a week, so its more of a habit than an addiction.

Omg!! @@Melody Wright, the first few day I was doing so well and it's true the busier I am the less I think about it, but today is a killer.. I can't stop craving a cigarette:( I've been having a really hard time lately and stopping smoking (which I know is good for me) is a killer.. I have the patch, nicotine gum and an e cig. Not all at the same time of course but..this is the hardest thing I've ever done!!!

mandatory to quit smoking? Will they cancel my surgery?

@@kymmiej11

i am a non smoker

smoking is a frequent subject here

most docs (99.999%)??? say you must/need stop smoking before surgery

i think the time period is about 3 weeks to stop smoking pre-op

i've heard some docs give you some type of "breather" test to make sure you aren't smoking

ok, here comes the non smoker in me

I never thought that smoking was a good idea

I can't imagine how difficult it can be to stop smoking :wacko:

yes i have frequently heard people gain weight when they initially stop smoking :wacko:

but...........IMO you starting your new healthier lifestyle with eating properly

why don't you get all the way healthy and stop smoking for your health too?

it would be just as beneficial to stop smoking :unsure:

its kindof a contradiction of terms if you get healthier with your body/weight/health - yet still smoke :huh:

good luck bud

kathy

Thank you @proundgrammy, I need that little kick in the butt, or a gentle reminder if you will.., I just keep saying to myself "eye on the prize", thank you all!!

My surgeon would not do the procedure if i was still smoking so I quit in late June with the help of Chantix and I didn't look back. I didn't gain and had my ups and downs with quitting but totally happy about my decision. So is my wallet. ;)

Had my surgery a little over a week ago and down 13 pounds since surgery day. So worth quitting. My little or is happy her Mama quit smoking too and she likes to tell me so. :). Good luck!!

The risk is two fold...I used e-cigs for a few weeks, then stopped completely about 2 weeks before surgery. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, especially in the gut, restricting healing blood flow. Smoke on the other hand increases your risk for blood clots. In my opinion, it is more important to be smoke free rather than nicotine free, if you have to choose. I still struggle, went back to smoking 3 weeks after surgery, but bought a pack of e-cigs today. The problem is I don't want to quit, I enjoy it. I'm a pharmacist, and I'm completely aware of the risks. I think you really have to get inside of your own head and convince yourself that it is no longer enjoyable, stinky, and bad for your skin. Vanity usually wins out for me ;-)

I did quit smoking (after 20 years) about 3 months before surgery. I'm now 8 months without cigarettes and can't believe I wasted so much of my life smoking. My surgeon absolutely would not perform the surgery if I was still smoking (even e-cigarettes). It totally made sense too. If I was seriously having this surgery to improve my health, I couldn't possibly justify continuing to smoke.

So I switched completely to the electronic cigarette and dropped the nicotine down to zero over a one-month period and that was it. No more nicotine.

I felt SO much better going into surgery knowing that I had put my body in such a healthier position for surgery. Recovery was a snap! I thank my surgeon at every follow-up.

I do take a hit of the electronic ciggie (with zero nicotine) when I get really stressed, but no other urges for the analog ciggies.

Best of luck in quitting! You won't regret it!

Hi kymmie...yes, you must quit or your surgery will be cancelled...

They will test your urine for nicotine.

Smoking can cause problems with anesthesia and put you at greater risk for breathing problems, even pneumonia after your surgery...

It's really important! So try to stay strong! Who cares how much you gain, you'll be looking fabulous in no time at all! Good luck!!! ????

If smoking cessation is a requirement for surgery, then yes, you will be canceled even the day of if nicotine is detected in your system. They will do a urine cotinine test or a blood draw to check for cessation.

I have no idea! What I do know is that the Patches are allowed as part of a smoking cessation program pre-op, with the intent being that an individual will completely stop all nicotine products.

You'd have to check with your team to clarify what their requirements are because it seems that these bariatric surgeons have such different protocols. The Patches may not be a problem at all for some and prohibited by others. I hope it works out for you! Smoking is a hard habit to kick. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

I had to be 6 weeks without a cigarette, was given nicotine test 2 weeks before my surgery days, he would have put my surgery off if it came back positive.

Today may be a tough day. I know it is soooo hard. I just wanted to cry. "Why can't I just smoke?". It does get better and if you give in today it will be just as painful tomorrow. You will still be a smoker and you will still be overweight. Nothing changes without doing the fought stuff. The only words of wisdom. Don't smoke now. Don't stop by to visit your friend that smokes, don't go by the cigarette shop for just one. It is absolutely miserable but it does get better. I quit after 30 year of smoking up to a pack a day. I am so glad I finally did. Hang tough girlfriend.