Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After 2 years! Finally found my word.

I know my "word" is probably unpopular and some might roll their eyes, but it works for me on a couple levels. I call my experience "recovery."

In a very real physical sense, I'm still recovering from the surgery and the dramatic weight loss side effects of the first six months. Some peoples ride down is smooth and easy, but not mine. Reading about it ahead of time is nothing like living it.

Deeper, I am recovering from a lifetime of unhealthy use of food as an emotional numbing agent and my weight as an emotional barrier to meaningful relationships. I am recovering from those behavior patterns because my buffer and my numbness are being stripped away as the pounds melt. I have to deal with things like emotions and relationships now instead of hiding.

I also never want to forget where I was and where I'm coming from, so calling it recovery reminds me that its not a dream, it's not a magic fix and life isn't going to be all roses and butterflies when I hit goal. I could end up living large again if I'm not diligent.

Some people need the optimism of inspiring language when talking about their experience. I need a reality check.

PROCESS. As in, 'this is a process' and 'trust the process', both of which I tell myself multiple times per day. I am 5 weeks out from lap-band surgery, losing super slowly and trying to learn this new way of eating and making mistakes every day.

For me it is more "lifestyle" because this isn't something for me to put a final destination to. The last day of my life will be the day this lifestyle changes.

I would have to say that I am with all the "lifers". This is my life, I live and breath and eat and sleep it every day. Some days it can be a struggle, a life style, a challenge and adventure, and even a journey but through it all it's life.

Having surgery did not change who I am, I am me and that's who I will always be. I don't allow WLS to define me even though it is part of me. I had this surgery to make my life better, to make my life healthier and hopefully live it longer:)

I don't have a word. It depends on the context for me. Sometimes it is a journey, sometimes its a change. Other adjectives I've used include diet, lifestyle, plan, transformation, process, life, path, choice, option, and probably others that escape me right now. I'll admit, I don't love the word journey either, but I do use it sometimes.

Surgery or not it has always been about me stepping up and making the 'effort' to change. And I will have to continue to maintain that effort. ;) So mine is "Effort"

I use journey. Have also used transformation and adventure in different contexts.

For me journey feels right because, as others have said, I'm still in the process and frankly not quite sure where I'll end up. Sometimes I feel a little lost too.

Where I HATE to see the word journey is in healthcare marketing - as in "your cancer treatment journey". Treatment for a disease is not a "journey" anyone wants to take.