Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medically Supervised Weight Loss Program

Hello,

Have you started or are already on a medically supervised weight loss program? Looking for support? Looking to find out what other people are doing? Let's share our information and support!

My story:

I started on my medically supervised weight loss program just over 4 weeks ago. My insurance requires 90 days. When I went in for my initial dietician consult I expected to be given a calorie goal. Instead I was told to continue working on my satiety (satisfied).

When I started looking into Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) and settled on having Gatric Bypass I went to Amazon and started ordering a bunch of books on the subject. I found that people were talking about chewing their food 30 times and taking time between bites. So I started eating my meals at the kitchen table without anything to read or listen to so I would not be distracted. I would be able to concentrate on the taste and fact that I was eating. I also started chewing my food at least 30 times. This is a lot tougher when talking about canned fruit which sometimes seems to melt in your mouth. I also started out with 20 secs between finishing chewing and the next bite. Then when that was ok I increased it by 10 seconds. I worked up from 20 seconds to now I am taking 90 seconds between bites. I don't think I will be increasing it anymore. It now takes me 30 to 40 minutes to finish a meal. My bother, father and I used to race to see who could get done first so this is a huge change for me. I stop eating eating when I am satisfied. Whatever that is. It is funny but sometime while I am eating I realize that I am not as interested in eating anymore. Sometimes I will leave the food on the table go in the other room and see if I go back to eat. So far I have not and sometimes I am actually suprised when I walk back in there and realize there is food on the table. I have been eating a lot less since I started this. I also stopped eating sweets but that was a personal decision because I am a raging sweetaholic.

So this is what my dietician said was my continued goal for my weight loss program. Weird, very weird! I have never heard of such a thing. But it is working for me. So far I have lost 20 pounds.

I have had a few difficult days. I used to get a frosty every time I went home a certain way. I had to go that way a few times and so far although I was extremely nervous I have not given in. The same goes for drugstores. For some reason with all their ready accesible candy I have always had a hard time with them. This week work celebrated a birthday with giant cake. As soon as they said we could leave the room I was gone. That was a difficult day. I don't know if it was not eating the cake, not exercising that day, the choice of food I brought home or the fact that when I got home and before I could eat I talked with my next door neighbor for a long long time. So much so that when I finally did eat I stuffed myself.

That is where I am at. How long do you have to do the medically supervised weight loss program? What does your program consist of? What hurdles have you overcome or are strugling with?

Good luck!

Edited by 395Ron

I totally understand every thing you are going through. I just finished up my 6 month so only having to do 3 is great. I also have lost a total of 37 pounds in 6 months but it is so not easy. I have never been a person who likes sweets but lately especially I have been craving them and letting myself stop and by something on my way to work. So I decided no more and now it;s been two days since I have. I hope I can keep it up. My paperwork has been submitted to insurance yesterday so we will see if they will approve me. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it dosen;t take much longer been doing this for a long while at least if feels like that. I am doing fitness pal and it has helped a lot. I also ride my bike 30 minutes 4x a week. So hang in there it will be time for surgery before you know it

37 pounds is awesome! Nice job! Here's hoping that it doesn't take long to hear back from the insurance and it is a go for the surgery! Hopefully you can stay strong on the sweets. I never ever thought I could go this long without them. I have the Fitbit myself. I log my food in there and as well as a spiral norebook. Exercise is where I am really hurting though. I can't get myself to get out there on a consistent basis. My exercise is usually walking. That is great that you bike that much.

Just made it through a visit with my parents and still lost weight! That is unusual for me.

I have my first appointment with a nutrionist tomorrow. I am going to have to do a 6 month program. They said the first appointment is 1.5 hrs long...so I am hoping it will be more than just being told to eat slower. I really hope I am given a detailed plan to follow....if left to my own devices it may not go so well! Ha! I hope to really lose 30-40 pounds before even going under the knife. I want to kick start my transformation! Good luck to everyone! I hope this 6 months goes quickly!