Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any attorneys?

Hi all - this is my first post, but I've been lurking and learning for a while now!! My surgery will be December 16th, and on December 22nd I start studying for the CT Bar. It will be my first bar, so I don't know what to expect. Any attorneys out there with any advice? Am I crazy to do these things so close together? Tips for getting through the stressful bar prep and post-op period at the same time? Thanks! :)

Hi all - this is my first post, but I've been lurking and learning for a while now!! My surgery will be December 16th, and on December 22nd I start studying for the CT Bar. It will be my first bar, so I don't know what to expect. Any attorneys out there with any advice? Am I crazy to do these things so close together? Tips for getting through the stressful bar prep and post-op period at the same time? Thanks! :)

I'm not an attorney because I never passed the bar but I have taken it twice here in CA. I applaud you for trying to study in recovery. Honestly, the first week after surgery you will pretty much feel like just laying around and getting in your Protein and Water each day will be a job in itself. However, after that first week you should feel better, but it is not a guarantee. It is something that can be done if that's all you do (study) and you don't feel crappy or have complications like nausea.

I give you credit for trying! California's bar exam is three days - first day is essays in the a.m. and performance exam in the pm. Second day is solely multiple choice. Third day is a repeat of day 1. I'm not familiar with CT's version but hope it is less stringent. In some states you can retake only the sections you fail. In CA, you have to get a certain number of points to pass - so you can fail on one section and excel in another and still pass. I'm not sure which type is worse!!

GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks for the support! I'm doing Barbri, and hoping that having a guided study schedule will help me get through it (and pass!!) Having done both the bar and the sleeve, would you try to do both at the same time like I am, or would you wait to do the surgery till after the bar?

The CA bar is the hardest - kudos to you for working at it! CT has the reputation for being one of the easiest in New England, yay! Are you planning on taking the bar again?

Congrats on getting a date!! I've been meaning to try to find a group of folks with dates around that time. Know of any? Or want a surgery buddy? Good luck!

Hi, I am an attorney and I am 2 weeks post op. I had surgery on a Thursday and came back to work the following Tuesday. To be fair other than the gas I was in virtually no pain. Once that passed I was good to go. I actually felt better sitting up so I absolutely think you can study for the bar if you are well enough to stick to a schedule. Good luck on the bar and good luck on your surgery!!!!

Hi! I'm an attorney, though I haven't been practicing this year due to medical problems. I'm hoping to be sleeved over the holidays, but am still waiting for a date. Good luck with your bar prep! I think it'll simply be a matter of how quickly your body bounces back and gives you energy to study. At least you'll have something to occupy your brain other than Protein and liquid counts! :)

Thanks for the feedback! I am excited to be starting both of these new adventures!

If I may add one non-JD voice, if you were going to TAKE the Bar so soon after surgery, I'd suggest not to; but to "begin studying" for a test? Should be fine. It'll keep your mind busy, etc, and not focusing on every little stomach twitch and gurgle. Good luck.

I'm an attorney and took the NY and MA bars back to back over the course of 3 days. I also used BarBri. I am pre-surgery so I can't help from that end, but I think the main issue will be energy. Although you are in BarBri for a portion of the day, their schedule has you studying many hours after the course each night as well. To keep up and retain a decent amount of what I was studying I was looking at about 15 hours per day dedicated solely to studying at the beginning and even moreso right before the exam.

Obviously everyone studies and retains differently, but that was my experience. I found myself to be very drained focusing on that alone.

I think there are a few factors to consider: if you can't keep up and don't pass, you have to wait 6 months to try again. Do you have a way to support yourself during that time? If you're already working will your employer keep you on staff if you don't pass? Will you be able to dedicate time to study again at that point?

Obviously if you've gotten to this point of the bar you are smart and know your own study habits. If you are confident that you can keep up, or have a solid back up plan if you can't, I say go for it. Life as an attorney is insanely hectic and taking time off to do this once you're employed isn't easy either.

Not sure if I helped or confused you more!

Good luck on all fronts!

I'm sure your title to this topic got every surgeon's attention. Haha! "Is this one of my patients?" Was their first thought...lol

I did a trial about 2 weeks after the surgery and didn't have a problem. The only issue was noticing that I wasn't getting enough Water in. Energy-wise I would have been good to go a week before that I think. I never did have any pain. Bar prep isn't that bad--it's more the anxiety of the whole thing than actual academic difficulty. A lot of my colleagues burned the midnight oil but I've always been more of a crammer. Either way, much like law school itself, it starts out a little overwhelming but you quickly hit your stride and it becomes just another day. Just remember to sip a lot...you'll be OK.

Remember also: having completed law school, you have proven to the gods of jurisprudence that you are able to withstand enough misery and psychological torment to function in this profession. Nothing can get in your way now.

Hi Again!

For some reason there was a bit of a glitch and I could not directly respond to your last post.

So whether or not you take the bar after being sleeved - hmmmm...that's a good question.

Okay, so I think you CAN take the bar after being sleeved - I think it is do-able but I do think trying to study right after surgery may be a bit difficult. Feeling sick to your stomach or having another complication will defintely hamper your ability to focus and learn. My doctor said that the most common side affect of this surgery is nausea. Some people get it right after and then it goes away (the majority of his patients). Others have it for weeks and some have it for months (the minority). One of his patients had nausea for four months straight. He said this is not common. I don't do well at all with nausea. It totally takes the wind out of my sails, if you know what I mean. You may be a bit different; maybe head colds do you in.

When I studied for the bar I basically sat at my computer all day for about 8 hours a day for about a month. I took breaks for a walk and lunch, just like I would at a job. The work I did was all mental, though, and can be draining.

I think this will probably come down to a few things:

(1) How you recover from your surgery - do you expect to have complications or is there a medical history that might indicate that complications are likely to occur? (example: History of blood clots, prior experiences with surgery, etc.)

(2) How motivated you are to see this through - if you encounter complications, how far are you willing to take this?

(3) How you respond to challenges - do you normally just resolve to plow through, no matter what, once you are committed to something?

The fact that CT bar is easier than others is certainly a plus. And the fact that you made it through law school tells me already that you are a tough and motivated person.

I really appreciate these thoughtful, thorough, and honest responses! I'm lucky to have a successful husband and no immediate pressure to pass the bar for employment reasons. So, if I didn't pass it would not be financially difficult but I obviously want to try to avoid that scenario if possible!

Anyway, after considering your advice, I think I am going to start independent study earlier (December 1), prior to the official Barbri start date. This will allow me to get ahead prior to surgery, and let a little pressure off in case I don't respond well after surgery. I have no way of estimating how I will feel after surgery, as the only medical interventions I've ever really had was for broken bones and childbirth (not simultaneously!). I'm overall healthy, and relatively young, so I expect to bounce back fairly easily.

Let's hope the gods of jurisprudence continue to smile down on me for a few more months...

Just food for thought... Some people have a more difficult recovery than others. Lots of factors involved. I was on pain meds for two weeks. The pain was very severe, as in knee buckling. Then in two weeks, it went away quickly. It seems I had a tight internal stitch that was pulling and once it scarred over (or tore loose), the pain resolved. So bear in mind that we all have different experiences.