Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery is tomorrow! I'm freaking out!

It still doesn't feel real. I have to pack my bag, take the magnesium citrate, and organize a few things for the week. I feel prepared for post surgery... i have the Protein Powder, powdered milk, Jello, broth, etc. i have a large stock of Vitamins. i have comfortable clothes and a very supportive spouse.

emotionally though, i don't think I am ready. I can't see myself as a healthy sized person, I keep thinking that I'm going to be the person who ends up with a surgery that isn't successful. It's like I'm getting my appendix out. I'm going in for surgery and no matter how many before and after pictures i see, I think I'm going to come out the same and not lose weight. does that make sense?

i couldn't post about it on Facebook. i couldn't tell my siblings or parents. i couldnt face their judgement and bad attitudes. i knew my mom would try to talk me out of it. my three closest friends, my two closest neighbors, and a few other friends know. they have all been supportive.

i should feel excited and be looking forward to the future. did anyone else feel this way? does anyone have any advice?

Stay positive. YOU are important and special enough to succeed. Believe in yourself ... I would bet you are stronger than you giving yourself credit for.

My surgery is on Thursday and it's stressing me out a bit too...

Well i have that same feeling and i think we feel that way because we are not used to change in our mind and body. The way i think about it is this: i have been over weight my WHOLE LIFE and the change is kinda scary. We have never experainced something unknown and new to us and that can be scary. We are so used to living a certain way, and thought it was normal. But in reality was not healthy. Change is always new to us,and also know that i am scared to! My surgery is November 20th and i have been on this pre-op diet since Halloween and doing well. I have talked to my family about this and friends and Doctor. Its Normal to feel this way and i think others might have the same feelings. But you and me are still going through with it, because deep inside you and me know what we truly need to be happy. I wish you happiness and luck and if you ever want to chat i am here.......Bajagal. :)

A bit of practical advice - unless you were given contrary instructions by your medical team, take that magnesium citrate NOW. Its effects can last up to 24 hours and you don't want to be having "issues" on the operating table! Go ahead and get it over with!

And yes, I can totally relate to the belief that somehow the surgery wasn't really happening and if it was, it wasn't going to work for me anyway. But I followed my surgeon's instructions and yes it DOES work! Even for me, who has (HAD) been obese 100% of the time since early childhood. Good luck!

Let us know when you are up and around, and how you're doing. Those of us who are still waiting in the wings to improve out health are living vicariously though you and others who are ahead of us. Best wishes, and a BIG thumbs up to you!

That is EXACTLY how I feel. Even if it works for a million other people, it won't work for me. Wonder if this could have something to do with not feeling "worthy" because of being obese for so long. Hmmmm....

Good luck and best wishes tomorrow. This is a huge deal and I'd think you were little nutty if you weren't having a few butterflies. My emotions were like bumper cars until the morning of and then.....zen.

I am tomorrow too! Nervous, anxious and excited! I jus keep thinking about all the people I have met that tell me how happy I will be that I had the surgery. Best of luck to you!

Good luck everyone. There is a secret Facebook group that has excellent support!! No one else can see it. It's been a huge help. Pm me your Facebook info if you want to join.

What is the magnesium citrate? I never was told about this and my surgery is tomorrow too!

Not everybody has to do it. It's for bowel prep. My doc didn't require it. Just one of those doc preferences things. Your surgeon would have told you if they wanted you to do it!

UPDATE

surgery was about 20 hours ago. i was okay until i got to the recovery room, i was in a lot of pain and crying and screaming. i don't remember a lot of that. i don't remember being wheeled to myy room

my room mate had male guests until nine or ten and i wasnt happy. i dint feel any different, just need to rest. im on benydril and dylauded. Im so tired.