Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Truly don't know what to do

No no...the Protein powder I just got "Genepro" is 30g per 1 Tbls. So that's perfect. But how much Soup are you adding that to? I just made lemon pudding with 2 Tbls of protein (60 g). I'm eating a little now, but put the rest in popscicle molds for Jello Protein Pudding Pops!

what Protein Powder do you use? I'm tryidng to find one I like.

I use GENEPRO. I bought it off Amazon. It's a smaller scoop. The serving size is only 1Tbls and it packs 30g Protein. It's tasteless and 100% dissolvable

@@Jennifer Rogers, I had been having trouble getting in my Protein shakes also. Protein in general really. I was in no way able to eat or drink enough. I found that it was because the shakes were too "heavy" for me. The blender and Blender Bottle would aerate them too much. I couldn't stomach them.

I finally decided to get a powder with no gum additives (xanthan, cellulose, guar) as they are used to thicken shakes. This helped me to tolerate more liquid with protein And eventually my tastes began to right themselves.

Try going to whole foods and some of the drugs stores around and get single serving packs of a variety of Protein drinks, shakes and Water. Before my surgery I did that and used my pre-op diet as a way to test things out.

Even then at 2 weeks I was literally sick of every Protein shake I had. They all had too much of a sweet taste. I finally started doing the shakes in the AM because if I added a bit of almond butter to them they came in at 31grams of Protein each. Then in the evening I just had plain vegetable broth. It was the break my palette needed.

If not, just keep trying! Hopefully your body is just adjusting to the new tummy and will sort itself out soon.

Edited by Blerdgirl

@@Jennifer Rogers I have to use the whole can because it's not as much when you have to strain it I also don't dilute it at all. If you try it taste it before you dilute it to see if you like the flavor and if you find it too strong then add Water to it.

Don't panic. Change your frame of min...easier said than done. It will get better, but enjoy the aversion to food right now. Greek Yogurt is a good alternative tool, especially Danon Light and Fit Greek. It may help you through the rough time. It gets better for sure. Your taste does change though. I enjoy different food one than before. You will learn this as you progress. Don't despair!

I do. But I added Protein powder to cream of potato last night and couldn't do it. How much Protein Powder do you use to how much Soup? @@Elode maybe I added too much

If you are using the GENEPRO - they have a small scoop in the bag. One scoop is 30 grams of Protein. I would start with that. I think if some things have more protein, they are harder to get down. I had to force myself to drink my Protein shakes. It's not a matter of "this tastes great", right now it's a matter of - I've got to get this down.

I'm now 3 months out and I remember the first few weeks everything tasted awful and getting anything in was a struggle. I was especially worried about Protein intake because I worried about Hair loss. But it did pass, and things taste normal again. It's a phase and you will get through it. Just keep at it and do the best you can. Don't worry...it will get better I promise!

I am 8 weeks out and this is getting better but I still have issues. Everything tasted horrible to me. I could handle a few things... Yogurt, scrambled eggs, then I was able to eat a slice of deli turkey wrapped in a cheese slice. It's very common and you just have to do the best you can. I think it's the hardest part of the recovery by far. But it will get better.

Yeah lets be frank here people one tablespoon is only about 15 grams, so you CANNOT get 30 grams of Protein from 15 grams of product. I know they say they have some magic formula but be serious for a second, how can you get more Protein than there is actual product?

Edited by Stevehud

Protein pudding and Greek yogurt are so good not sure if you tried them. I also like the GENEPRO couldn't Tate it at all I'd try mixing it in a coffee drink or crystal light. Look on bariatric pantry website for some other yummy drinks not Protein Shakes then try to add a little of the genepro? U can find Proteins that taste better than Protein Shake I know I have. Good luck to you!

Here's what worked / still works for me when I need to augment my protein:

* Dannon Greek Oikos low-fat vanilla yogurt (the packaging is blue; the 5.3 ounce cups are a good size)

* GNC Lean 25 Swiss chocolate shakes (comes also in vanilla and yogurt); if it's too *thick*, thin with skim milk or even Water. Buy at GNC healthfood stores (buy and try a single one before buying a case of 12)

* Skim milk -- cold, warm, mix in Soups, however it works for you

I will be six weeks post sleeve on Tuesday. I think the food situation is worse now then it was two weeks ago. I get hungry, plan my meal, try to get it down, eat a small amount and then get nausea. For some reason I am getting just full of gas or air. One bite too many makes me feel sooooo full. The only things that sit well are mashed potatoes with the packaged country gravy. Canned peaches in juice sit well. We have smoothie King in our area and they have a child size with Protein, electrolytes and extra Vitamins which is the only thing I can eat with no discomfort. Don't get me wrong I would not change a thing and all is wonderful until it is time to eat. Who would have thought, before surgery I could eat anything and much much more than I needed. I guess this whole eating thing is trial and error. 32 lbs down since surgery Life Is Good!

If you are using the GENEPRO - they have a small scoop in the bag. One scoop is 30 grams of Protein. I would start with that. I think if some things have more protein, they are harder to get down. I had to force myself to drink my Protein Shakes. It's not a matter of "this tastes great", right now it's a matter of - I've got to get this down.

I do use the scoop. The scoop is 1Tbls in size. My repulsion isnt about how anything tastes...I just can't seem to swallow anything without activating my gag reflex. If it comes right back up, it was pointless, right?

Edited by Jennifer Rogers

Thank you to everyone that has replied and offered words of wisdom. I will keep trying. Yogurt of any kind, unfortunately, isn't an option for me. It's probably the only food I've had an aversion to my entire life, and it hasn't changed since surgery. I've tried mixing it into smoothies and dinner recipes...if yogurt is in it, I can taste it and I simply cannot tolerate it. My daughter is the same way when it comes to yogurt. However, I will continue to try getting my GENEPRO down and trying to eat high Protein foods the best that I can. I will trust those of you who have said it's a phase and will pass. Good luck to those of you in the same boat as I am.