Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Must Watch VIRAL Video! It Starts Today – How obesity surgery helps people reclaim their lives!

In Their Own Words: The Decision that Changed Their Lives

New ASMBS Video that just Premiered at ObesityWeek 2014

WATCH IT AND LET US KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS OR COMMENTS BELOW PLEASE!

BariatricPal encourages people to share this video with friends and family. If you are a medical professional, feel free to share this video with your patients or include it on your website.

Hug.png

Elliot Avidan, 42, has the discipline of a military officer, the analytical skills of a lawyer, and the determination of a prizefig

“I was given a chance and that’s all I needed. I was headed down a path that most likely would have led to an early death,” said the attorney and Navy veteran.

Avidan is one of three patients featured in a new video developed by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS). The video also explores how Avidan, Teresa Bell-Stephens, a nurse and Jamie Dukes, a television football commentator and former NFL player, overcame their own doubts, misconceptions and fears, as well as those of their family and friends, to stop obesity before it stopped them.

“I first considered bariatric surgery in 2011, but my sister talked me out of it. She thought I would die. She just told me to eat less and exercise more. It wasn’t that simple. Without it (bariatric surgery), I couldn’t succeed in the long-term. I would be destined to a lifetime of losing and gaining, while my health deteriorated.”

-- Elliott Avidan

Elliott.png

It would take three years before Avidan had bariatric surgery, a decision he credits with saving his life. “I went from 180 to 300 pounds in five years before waking up one day and realizing I was a different person. I was unhealthy, unhappy and almost didn’t recognize myself. Today, my life is completely different.”

Teresa Bell-Stephens, 41, who had a sleeve gastrectomy in 2012, gained more than 60 pounds during infertility treatment. She was successful in having a baby, but unsuccessful in her attempts at weight loss afterwards. She said she was unhealthy, out of control and headed for a future that included diabetes, heart disease and joint problems if she didn’t do something to change that trajectory. She said she had bariatric surgery because, “I wanted to be a parent.”

The video follows Bell-Stephens as races through her day, which includes hospital rounds and caring for patients, swimming, biking and spending quality time with her husband and son.

“I look at the world differently now because I feel I can engage in everything. And I felt that before I had to sit out on some things. Now I don’t have to sit out anymore.”

-- Teresa Bell-Stephens

Teresa.png

Jamie Dukes, an on-air analyst for the NFL Network and former NFL offensive lineman, talks sports for living and during football season splits his time between the NFL Network studios in Los Angeles and his home in Atlanta where he live with his wife and two children.

It took the premature deaths of four former teammates -- all of whom died before the age of 44 from conditions linked to obesity -- for Dukes to come to the realization that his life after football could be a short one if he didn't do something about his weight.

Since retiring from the NFL in 1996, he had gained more than 100 pounds and despite many attempts at dieting, his weight continued to rise. In 2008, after the deaths of three former teammates, all in their 40s, Dukes decided he had to do something about his excess weight. He says in the video, “I thought I was going to die. Guys who were 80, 100 pounds overweight just died. What would make me more special than them?... I just had to do something.”

That something was bariatric surgery. “It’s a procedure to get you where you need to go.”

“I reached a turning point in my life. I had to make a life decision to change my lifestyle not only for myself, but more importantly, for my family. I want to be around for them and beating back obesity is going to help me do that.”

-- Jamie Dukes

Dukes.png

“These patients are inspiring,” said Ninh T. Nguyen, MD, ASMBS president. “They each an important decision that would forever change their lives. We hope others are inspired to do the same.”

Watch the premier of the ASMBS video during Dr. Nguyen’s presidential address at ObesityWeek 2014. The video will also be available for use by members and be featured on the ASMBS website.

Encouraging and inspiring.

I love this video! I think it is spot on. Not much I could say differently about it.

great video! i think that if many people could see a video like this when they are contemplating surgery, it would help alleviate a lot of fears.

great video! i think that if many people could see a video like this when they are contemplating surgery, it would help alleviate a lot of fears.

I agree with you 1000% Any ideas on how we can get this vid going viral???

Quick random fact: There are more than 10 people to every 1 person that doesn't have access to weight loss surgery. I think it's social stigma and fears that hold most people back, agreed!

Hi - I was disappointed that the video did not include anyone who had been overweight their entire life. I think that is the most common profile of obese adults. Everyone I currently know who is obese has been so since high school or before, I went on my first real diet at age 6. I am 56 and this week was the first time in my entire life that I did not shop in the plus size (or, as it was known 50 years ago for children, the "Chubette" department). And, at 207 lbs now, the only reason I am now a large in some things and not plus size is because Americans are so big that they've made the sizes larger!

The video made me feel that I don't have a legitimate reason to be fat. I didn't have fertility treatments. I was never a professional athlete or military person who had to learn to eat for a new lifestyle. But I do know about nutrition, about exercise -- I am smarter than the average bear and it didn't do me any good! No one has worked harder or longer at weight loss than me -- except for the millions of other regular people who have also been fat all their life! Can I blame genetics? Sure, why not? But this video message said that you had to have a good reason to be fat and the implication is that only those people, those legitimate obese people deserved weight loss surgery. How about recognizing that life is different now for most Americans - there are less physical jobs, even school is more sedentary as less kids walk to school, flavor enhancers in our food has altered our tastes, etc, etc. I don't think we need to showcase only those weight loss surgery patients who are deemed presentable enough to be spokespeople for the cause.

This attitude plays right into the crazy and punitive insurance policies around WLS. Denying so many people who need it, yet paying, without question for rehab for alcoholics or drug users. Or denying people if they go below a BMI of 40 while they are in the pre-op phase, or cancelling surgery if they gain a single pound! It's the same judgmental, condescending, belittling attitude that predominates society in general, and the medical profession in particular, around obesity.

A colleague of mine at work had her VSG surgery scheduled earlier this week but it was cancelled because they found a cyst in her lungs. She has been complaining to doctors for ten years about pain in her chest - to the touch -- not just simply being out of breath. The only answer she got was "loose weight". Not a breathing test or even a simple X-ray - just a lecture. Now she is facing thoracic surgery and G-d knows what else! If doctors had treated her like a grownup instead of a non-complaint child, she would have had this taken care of years ago. it's the same attitude as this video -- some fat people are worthy and some are not.

I am very happy that I had the surgery, but I am truly regretful that I didn't have it when I was much younger. I have suffered in my personal life and in my career and while I take responsibility for my decisions, I do not take responsibility for the cavalier and cruel attitude of the medical profession that for most of my life, did not give a damn.

Regards,

Ellen

I think it's a positive message and well done.

Hear stories from patients about how obesity surgery helped change their lives.

We encourages people to share this video with friends and family. If you are a medical professional, feel free to share this video with your patients or include it on your website.