Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In sitting Pre-op hell....

My surgery is on Nov 12th and I have been on my pre-op diet since Oct 29th. I am a miserable mess and cheated the first 4 days of it. I am so depressed because this diet has re-affirmed the issues I had with food. I sit at work all day and think about food and what Im missing. I even started to get depressed about how after surgery I will not be able to eat. I was excited about that starting out because one of my main problems is Portion Control. But now this diet has me think about my relationship with food and I am kind of coming to terms with the fact that I have a food addiction. After my surgery I am going to seek help with a therapist because I really dont want to sabotage my chance at a new start. I am just depressed over the fact that I spent most of the first week cheating and now I have to try to make up for it. I just dont really know how...

We all, or a lot of us, cheated during the pre op diet. Just make a commitment to stay on track, starting NOW! Your surgery is in a few day. You can do this. I don't mean to make a joke out of this, but as the slogan says" just do it". Picture November 12th and become obsessed with what's going to happen on that day. Use it as your novitation. Best.

I'm sure that's how most of us got this way :( It's a tough realization. I think for your own safety, you should definitely seek out therapy post-surgery ... overeating with a sleeve can be dangerous and painful! *hugs*

@@Seashelles I feel for you. This is not an easy process by any means. I know all the fears you have because I had them too. I didn't cheat but please believe I wanted to! I just had to constantly remind myself what this was all about and why I had to do it. If your surgery turns out anything like mine you won't be hungry after surgery....I know that sounds unbelievable to you at this time but I Had my surgery Monday and I still have no hunger. I enjoy my clear drinks but I Have no desire to eat at all. It won't be as hard for you as it is right now. Your body is use to eating and nothing has changed that feeling yet. It is hard but just try to look past this misery and keep focused on your goals. Maybe right them down. I will tell you what I did. I took some pictures of myself in a bra And undies and everything I started going crazy wanting food I looked at those pictures, drank my shake and moved on! It might sound strange but it really worked! Good luck!

Seashelles, first off... big hugs!!! I was actually about to post something regarding therapy. I'm seeing a therapist who specializes in bariatrics. I know I'm going to need the support to deal with my emotional eating disorder. People need to remember that the sleeve is just a tool and will not fix your relationship with food that you had before the surgery. Even if I never crave food again after the surgery, which would be a dream come true, I may substitute an old eating addiction for something else.

I'm hoping therapy is just one more tool that can help me achieve long term success!!! Best of luck!!!

@@Seashelles hi I'm still pre op so I haven't been on the liquid diet yet but understand how u feel I was put on south beach to lose weight before surgery and I can assume I'll have to do a liquid thing as well at some point before my surgery I wanted what I was used to Cookies ice cream Pasta etc it bothered me a lot and I'm in no way saying I didn't have anything a couple times what helped me is I got all the crap out of the house anything I wasn't supposed to have went away it doesn't keep u from wanting it but if it's not there u can't eat it I plan all the meals ahead buy only needed items and quantities so there are no leftovers like everybody said we all screwed up its normal to want to eat also when your body is so used to huge amounts of sugar and carbs it craves it this is so much harder in my opinion then quitting smoking I was able to do that twice cold turkey and didn't have as much trouble as doing this I have to keep my mind on what I really want which is to be sleeved if I don't do what I need to to get there it will just delay it even more try not to beat yourself up it won't help get back on track asap best wishes

I too am Nov 12 and cheated the first few days of the pre-op. I am a creature of habit and breaking my morning routine (eating wise) is/was difficult. I too have had everything from 2nd thoughts to straight out panic as I sit and watch other people eating whatever they want and ask myself "what will I do?" It's easy to say to myself "who cares if I'm heavy" etc but we both know this is a good thing and what we have longed for. It's' now less than a week away! We can do it!

Heidi

At least for me, pre-op was the hardest part of the process because it involved relying on others for their approvals, timely paperwork processing, etc., and dieting, (with a deadline to lose 10% "or else" at a time I'd never been under more stress! The good news for me was that surgery broke my obsession with food. I didn't feel hunger for the first several months and even now, it's just... different. Today, I eat what I like in small quantities, Protein first. I exercise, not because I "have to" but because it's a gift to my body and I feel like crappage if I skip for a few days. The first month or 2 after surgery is quite the adjustment, but even that time was easier than pre-op. You're almost to the downhill slide so hang in there and get ready to enjoy the ride!

it was when i first acknowledged that i had a food addiction that i was able to get serious about this whole process. keep trying as hard as you can, and take it one hour at a time if you have to... it will be over soon!

Mine is on the 12th as well I have been on the pre-op diet for 5 days now I did cheat on day 3 and had 2 slices of turkey lunch meat, it was divine...lol. However I have felt much better since and finding it easier to stick to it. I too love food and it has not been easy seeing my family eat dinner and others at work eat normal. I guess I feel lucky though, those at work are encouraging me to stick with it that change is for the good. I also have a calander on my desk marking down the days this has helped me to get through this. If I can do it you can too!!! I thought I would never be able to do it. Seeing my diet is liquids only 3 protien shakes a day broth, sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles that's it :( I have found that 6 popsicles a night helps...lol only 15 calories per popsicle. Since I started on Nov. 2nd I have lost and additional 9lbs. So it is worth it, think of the positive I also chew gum all day long now, which really helps just rememeber to drink lots of Water I am somewhere around 80 oz of Water a day now. Good Luck and Hang in there you can do it, and make sure you do see the therapist afterwards you do not want to replace your habit with even something worse. Stay Positive and you can do it.

Thank goodness I didn't have a pre-op diet. =)

Seashelles, on 06 Nov 2014 - 09:39, said:

snapback.png

I even started to get depressed about how after surgery I will not be able to eat.

one of my main problems is Portion Control.< /em>

I am just depressed over the fact that I spent most of the first week cheating and now I have to try to make up for it. I just dont really know how...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relax......you're doing a lot of worrying about yet unknowns......That is what fear is.

You're having trouble with the preop now because it's cold turkey and there are no changes yet to help you make or stick with those drastic pre-op diet changes.

Portion control is going to be handled by the sleeve. So that one is taken care of.

And about "not being able to eat". You're the only one putting that idea in your head.

After your sleeve heals, you will be able to eat pretty much whatever you want. Some tastes will change and you will develop new healthier eating habits.....but you will still be able to get all the satisfaction and enjoyment from the taste of the food as you do now. You needs will change with your lifestyle and you won't miss anything.

OK, that solves those concerns....now perk up and stop creating issues where there are none...... Good luck ;)

Edited by Recycled

My surgery is on Nov 12th and I have been on my pre-op diet since Oct 29th. I am a miserable mess and cheated the first 4 days of it. I am so depressed because this diet has re-affirmed the issues I had with food. I sit at work all day and think about food and what Im missing. I even started to get depressed about how after surgery I will not be able to eat. I was excited about that starting out because one of my main problems is Portion Control. But now this diet has me think about my relationship with food and I am kind of coming to terms with the fact that I have a food addiction. After my surgery I am going to seek help with a therapist because I really dont want to sabotage my chance at a new start. I am just depressed over the fact that I spent most of the first week cheating and now I have to try to make up for it. I just dont really know how...

I feel for you. I started my preoperative diet the same day and I can only have Water and Boost Diabetic....that's it for FOUR weeks!

You have to just remember that you will be able to have food again, this is such a short moment in time for us and we can do it! It will be over soon.

Personally I haven't cheated and haven't really wanted to. I'm scared if I cheat it will up my complication fctor, and I want to have the safest surgery I can. So if it means being a bit miserable and only drinking those god awful boost diabetics all day long then I will! I have waited 2 years for this and I have small kids who need their mom.

I wish you all the strength in the world! I read a book called Emotional First aid Kit: life after bariatric surgery, and it really opened my eyes to what it's going to be like on all sides. From dealing with your own emotions to dealing with family and friends afterwards. It was a short read but a good one.

Also check out The World According to Egg face blog! She has personal stories and recipes through each stage. It has made me realize I can still eat amazing food after this, just smaller portions.....way smaller lol

Its all perspective, and you can do this!

Sheena :-)

Edited by Dreamingofhealth

Girl, I am right there with you. I had a small piece of chicken and some veggies yesterday (my two week diet is liquids only) and I cried for like an hour, doubted my decision, beat myself up, etc. I am so miserable (today is day 6), food has ALWAYS been my comforter and I am addicted to it (duh). But nothing worth having comes easily! We can do this!!!! Keep your chin up and I will, too!! ❤️

Portion Control is my main problem. I'm hoping once this tool has helped me meet my goal that I'll be helpful to have a little bit of something when I want to. Most healthy people do. With the right exercise and diet you should be able to have a treat when you want one just not overdoing it. Even now I made sure to have sugar-free pudding chocolate because that satisfies my chocolate fix. And right now I can only have 1/2 - 1. Hopefully within a month or two my body will be in sync with my mind. Kaiser also offers a program called mindful eating which I'm starting next month.