Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

starting to get depressed

I had my surgery on 10/21/14. It took me many years to come to terms with the fact that I needed a little something more in the way of help to get the weight off. Now that I am on the other side of surgery I'm realizing this is harder than I could of ever imagined. I was 8 days out and was already tired of the Protein shake! Now I'm on the pureed diet but am still required to drink 2 Protein Shakes a day. According to the plan I should be eating 3 protein meals, 2 protein shakes and a protein snack. Meals are 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup and if room is left I can add vegetables or fruit which I have absolutely no room for. On top of all this I'm supposed to be drinking 6-8 cups of Water as well. I can only get in 2 protein meals, 2 shakes and maybe 2-2 1/2 cups of water. Now I find that I'm beginning to get dehydrated so today I've been forcing myself to drink more than I have been and I'm just very uncomfortable because my stomach is so full. Did anybody else have this issue? I'm on this meal plan until the day before Thanksgiving when I go back to see the nutritionist at the bariatric center. It's a whole new world mentally for me. I knew it would be hard and I keep on telling myself at the end of the meal plans that I will be back to eating the way I was when I began this journey. I had lost 50 lbs. before surgery just following the meal plan they gave me and I know I can handle that part it's just this time before I get back to that where I'm having trouble.

Hi! I had my surgery oct 15 and I feel the same way. I just had an appt with my dietician and she assured me that ANY liquid I'm in taking is considered part of my "water". I was stressing bc I couldn't get all the protien shakes and all the Water down in the same day.

One day I did notice I became very dehydrated and felt very light headed and had to try to down my water as quick as I could.

I think a lot of us have trouble in the beginning at getting what we think we're "supposed" to have right out of the hospital. I had my surgery 2 days after you did & faced the same thing of wondering how on earth I was going to get enough of everything?? I found that walking did wonders for me. If I felt super full I got outside and walked around the neighborhood & felt instantly better AND more able to drink/eat if I wasn't sitting around the house waiting for my pouch to empty. Maybe this would be worth a try?

I agree with what everyone here has said. My nutritionist told me that the way I viewed my eating priorities compared to a regular diet would need to change. My first priority every day was to get up to 64 oz. or more of Water or other liquid like the Protein shakes. The next priority was the Vitamins and supplements to make sure you get your nutrition. The next priority was getting 60 to 80 grams of Protein a day. In the end once I got all of this I could add fruits and vegetables.

Aside from the Vitamins and Water, I got nowhere near these requirements the first month or so. It just takes working up to them. You get the point that you loath food really. I know I did. Every second of every day revolved around drinking something, eating something, or planning to eat something. The diet is honestly the hardest thing to get used to post surgery and it is all about making a set routine out of it.

I also agree that when you are feel too full, get up and move. It will help work the liquid down a bit faster. Also, with your water, try mixing in a little zero calorie gatorade or Powerade at a 50/50 mix or less. This will also help you get some much needed electrolytes into your system and hopefully prevent some of the lightheaded and dizzy feelings.

Best of luck and if there is anything else I can do for you, please contact me at one of the links below. I want to see you succeed. This is only the start of an absolutely amazing journey!

Jonathan, you are so right. I have tried to follow the nutritionist plan until the point I was sick. I then called the doctors office and the first thing they said was, "I do not care about the Protein, just stay hydrated" and it started to make sense. So now I try to get my meds and a couple tablespoons of cottage cheese for Breakfast. lunch is some some with Protein Powder and the Vitamins. Little by little I manage.

For what its worth ditto to all the above. How you feel how everyone has survived, and progressed etc... One day at a time, one step at a time.. Success down the way... you can see it.

My plan provided sample menus for every phase of transitioning back to solid foods. I never consumed the amount of food that was suggested. I remember taking medicine cup sips of Water and thinking I would never ever be able to drink 12 ounces much less 64 ounces. I don't remember at which week I was in but it does get better and easier. My advise would is the same as some of the above posts - focus on getting as much Water in as possible and getting your Vitamins. My NUT advised to get your Protein but gradually lead up to the 60-80 grams a day. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Keep yourself hydrated! One thing I do now is that I always have several 32 ounce water bottles in the refrigerator. I know that I have to drink 2 a day. I recycle the bottles and use the same 2 or 3 for a few weeks. If I drink a Protein shake from powder I will also add 3 times the amount of water to increase my intake. I also never eat in between my meals. I eat 3 times a day and have a pretty good amount of Protein at each meal. I usually have no problem getting in the 60-80 grams a day.

Best of luck!!

CarlaJean63: I'm with you totally. I'm starting to see what i'm up against. I know it will change. I have hope.