Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Uncomfortable full feeling

I know I can't eat the same amount of food like I used to, but even with the small amount I'm able to eat I get that uncomfortable very full feeling. Does any know how to avoid this? Or will it every go away? Any advice is greatly welcomed.

I struggled with this the first 2 weeks or so of eating soft foods. Now I'm getting better at stopping before I get that feeling. I think this why they tell us to eat so slow, so we can tell we're full before feeling bad.

Funny, I almost posted on this topic earlier today... I am 3 months out from surgery and that uncomfortable full feeling is still there when I eat solid food. I was typing and it came to me "THIS IS WHY I DID THIS!" Something has to stop the mindless eating, hand to mouth that got me in this shape to start with! So, stop eating before the feeing gets bad, and will it go away? I hope not.

It was upwards of 6 months before I could eat more than 1/2 cup of food per meal. And I had to eat it slowly, 1 teaspoon at a time. I tried to take advantage of that time, to limit my calories and establish better eating habits.

I'm 22 months out now and can eat up to 2 cups of food, if it's Beans or vegetables - pretty much anything that is mushy and is primarily Water. I'm still limited to about 6oz of any kind of meat or chicken.

Has anyone experienced an accelerated heartbeat when feeling this uncomfortable fullness? I feel it right now, and my heartbeat is beating a little faster than normal. Should I be worried?

Yes, the first time this happened I thought I was having a heart attack.. then I started to spit up what looked like phlegm. I have to remember that I had surgery and slow down when eating. Old habits are hard to break.. I'm so use to eating fast because I have small children and I work with 3 and 4 Yr. Olds and we are on a time crunch.

It gets better with time. I had to embrace it as some seriois behavior modification! That too full feeling sucks big time, but it is what we signed up for and helps us learn to eat differently than we have been. Eat slowly, take small servings, tune into your cues. I found over time I got used to the new way of eating, and my anxiety of getting that feeling lessened when I learned how to avoid it, and now I feel in control. I just can't eat (or drink!) like I used to.

<shrug >

and ultimately, that's a very good thing!

I really have to learn to eat slower. This is the first time I have felt the accelerated heartbeat and it freaked me out. So far nothing has come up, nor have I felt like throwing up, but the full feelings is NO BUENO!

I do not have this problem with soft food and have stayed longer than I should here, just feels comfortable finally and do not want to move on to start over again with the excessively full feeling.

I'll be 4 months out tomorrow and still have this. I even feel that I now can eat smaller amount of solid food than a few months ago even when I eat slowly then I get hungry earlier than before. My surgeon told me too eat more to eat more but it seems difficult for the time being.