Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've finally decided to dive in and take this journey head on.
I've literally just begun. I finally have insurance and plan to take advantage of it.
I did not have a doctor, so I hunted one down who was accepting new patients
and I meet him tomorrow. I'm a bit worried considering I've never been tested

for comorbidities or any other health issues, so I am going to speak with him

about testing for diabetes, possible thyroid issues, high blood pressure, etc.
Considering my BMI is already above 40, my insurance wouldn't require any

comorbidities, but it would still be nice to know...

Anyway, It would be great to have some pointers,

or to see some stories of how you guys began your journey and

the steps you took after finally making the decision.

Were you nervous? Did everything work our the way you planned?
How long was the process for you from beginning, to end?

By the way, I'm Chyla, and it's wonderful to meet you.

:)

Congratulations on deciding to take this journey. I started researching all of the options available to me about 6 months before the actual surgery. I knew everything going in. I would strongly suggest you check out my blog (link is below) for a series of posts I did on how I prepared for surgery. I finally came to that realization that I needed to do something drastic after several of my family members pulled me aside to say they were very scared for me. They even offered to pay. My BMI at the time was 62.

From my initial meeting with the surgeon my whole process took about two months. This was extremely fast. My insurance didn't require a doctor supervised weight loss period of six months to a year like a lot of insurances do. I did still have to have multiple meetings with a nutritionist, psychologist, exercise physiologist, and have a battery of tests done. I was instructed to begin preparing for surgery. From there I just had to survive a two week liquid diet heading up to surgery. It is to this day the hardest two weeks of my life, but something I wouldn't give back for the world. Just like a marine going through boot camp. That was my hell week.

If you have any additional questions about the surgery or I can help in any way at all, please contact me at the links below.

I took about 3 months to decide to take the plunge. I had lots of worries and fears. It is after all major surgery with some pretty intense consequences. But I worked through all of those and came up ready.

I am 7 days post surgery and I feel great. I am not one of those people everything always goes peachy, quite the opposite. I was expecting major recovery issues. I even set up my own room in the main floor of the house to be ready. Well, that was a serious waste of time. My surgery was a 2:30 PM Tuesday and I was home Thursday. That first night I took a single Tylenol pill because 1)I couldn't fall asleep and again 2) for a headache and again for 3)a slight pain under my rib cage which was probably gas and I had done a little too much that day.

I feel fine and I have no pain and no nausea. I am a little more tired then usual and I do have to work on my Fluid intake. I am up to 50 oz per day. I am not hungry at all. i sit with my family at dinner while they have the frozen meals I had prepared ahead and I eat my broth with Protein without even the slightest desire to have any of their food. I also didn't freeze any of my favorite meals just in case. My only craving was a most perfect Lays potato chip which I admit to have licked in delight but then washed my mouth right after and none of the salt went in me. I decided to add a little G2 gatorade to my Water for the nutrients. Salt was my craving so far.

I know this is early stages but my experience is what the majority of people experience.

Thank you both for your stories. I'm just worried about how long

this will take for me IF I manage to get approval. I fear all these

things might happen to prevent it... I'm afraid my new doctor will think I'm

too healthy and don't need it, I'm frightened I may lose my job and

have no insurance to cover if I do get approved. I'm afraid the

process may take a year to complete, and after being overweight my

entire life, even just a year more feels unbearable.
And of course, never having any sort of surgery in my life,
I'm scared of the surgery having complications.

I know these are all common fears, but still, they hit me hard.

I fully understand that there are a lot of unknowns with this process. I can also deeply appreciate the feeling of wanting to get it over with. It is as if you finally made this life altering decision and you are hyped up for it only to wait. Like a racer waiting for the gun to go off.

I want to strongly encourage you to take this time to soak it all in and prepare. This is an amazing journey and you will want to be able to look back in a year or so and see everything you went through and how grateful to be where you are now; skinny and healthy. Savory every moment. There is a link to my blog below. On it is a series of three posts about how I prepared for my surgery. I think it definitely addresses some of your concerns and goes into more detail than I can here.

Unfortunately this is a process and rejections do happen. Typically if you fit the guidelines physically like BMI over 40 or above 35 with at least one co-morbidity you should be fine. Just take a deep breath when you feel yourself getting worked up and take that next step. With each step know you are getting closer and closer to your goal. With each step it becomes more likely you will get full approval. If for some strange reason you do not, you can always try with another doctor. If it still fails, answer me this question. Years down the line, when you are much older and looking back at this time, would you want to look back knowing you had done everything you could, or that you didn't even try. For me, the turmoil and regret connected with "what if" I had actually gone through the process far outweighs the rejection I would feel of getting denied.

I really hope this helps and if there is anything I can do for you at all or to help out, please let me know. I am here to see you succeed!

I am also just starting this journey. My first visit with a Nutritionist is on Dec 10th. My biggest fear is a rejection from my insurance. My BMI is 46, so I shouldn't be rejected, but we all know how insurance companies are.

One thing I do suggest is reading The BIG book of Gastric Bypass (if that is what you are hoping to have) and The Weight Loss Surgery Notebook. I found both to be very helpful. I have already realized a lot about how I got to the point of needing WLS and what my choices are. Both books are available in print and e-books.

I am looking forward to walking this journey with so many people on this site.

Once I finally decided, it took me a year. On the way, I was diagnosed with uterine cancer, had a hysterectomy, and then had to wait. By the time i made it to the OR for my RNY, I was really ready. I could have let my frustration stop me, but I just kept on going. Every step was a learning. I read everything I could find. I lurked around this site, read blogs and all kinds of statistical research. I had diabetes, sleep apnea, and hypertension, so i had no trouble qualifying. Having WLS is not an instant gratification thing. It is a learning. I still learn every day. Only 50% of the people who start the process actually make it to the ER. Hang in there.

I had my first visit on Wednesday and it went great. I am nervous because I had blood work done and just got the results. The only issue I have is a very slightly elevated glucose level. It isn't even considered pre-diabetic. I feel bad that the results didn't make me more excited. I am now concerned that even with a BMI of 46, I won't be eligible. I need this surgery!

@@the_new_tamra

http://wakingupfromheavysetdreams.blogspot.com/

There is the link. Good luck on your surgery. I know you will do great! be sure to message me if you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can do for you.

I've finally decided to dive in and take this journey head on.

I've literally just begun. I finally have insurance and plan to take advantage of it.

I did not have a doctor, so I hunted one down who was accepting new patients

and I meet him tomorrow. I'm a bit worried considering I've never been tested

for comorbidities or any other health issues, so I am going to speak with him

about testing for diabetes, possible thyroid issues, high blood pressure, etc.

Considering my BMI is already above 40, my insurance wouldn't require any

comorbidities, but it would still be nice to know...

Anyway, It would be great to have some pointers,

or to see some stories of how you guys began your journey and

the steps you took after finally making the decision.

Were you nervous? Did everything work our the way you planned?

How long was the process for you from beginning, to end?

By the way, I'm Chyla, and it's wonderful to meet you.

:)

I'm just beginning as well, but my Doc can't see me until February 6th ???? I wish you all the best and good luck tomorrow ✌️ I'm Jaysen by the way...

So a little update I s'pose.
I was finally able to get up the courage to do something progressive. I went to a free WLS seminar held by our hospital. I felt like a moron because I showed up the first time on the wrong day and ended up having to wait 2 weeks over the holiday season for the next one... But it was worth meeting all the amazing people there and also comforting to find out the surgeons have had 0 deaths in the 10+ years they've been doing WLS.

Anywho, the seminar really helped my subdue my nerves since they provided everyone with a to-do list (which is what I need in order to get ANYTHING done, ever.)

So on friday I have an appointment to talk to my doctor about having surgery, and to check up on my H. Pylori and see if it's gone now (which when I went to my first meet and greet appointment with my new doctor, we discovered the H. Pylori and began treatment.)
And then our hospital also requires you take 8 classes before considering you for the surgery, so I was signed up for my first one while at the seminar.

So I feel like I'm finally on some sort of path in the right direction. I hope this keeps up.