Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Little off topic... but are they any down sides to pot after surgery?

I ask this in all seriousness.

I live in a state where it is illegal but we're planning on to going to Denver for a ski trip and I want to try it.

I don't necessarily have to smoke it, but I was wondering if it would harm my surgery?

We're looking at going in January so I'll be like 3 months post op by then.

Well, it could cause munchies.. That could be dangerous. But overall I think it's pretty harmless. You are also pretty vulnerable to pneumonia and pulmonary embolisms post surgery, so be careful if you already have leavened lungs. How far post op are you? Are you a cig smoker too?

There are ways to ingest pot without smoking. Obviously, the brownies might not be the best idea, lol. But it can be vaped, (which is a lower temperature) or consumed, or even made into a drinkable tea. I'm sure any well reviewed shop can help you.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Honestly, I would advise against it. To say it gives you the "munchies" sounds all fun and cute when you're not high, but when you are high? It's like a rampant, insatiable obsession with finding something to put in your mouth. And, it's very hard to stop eating when you're high. Please believe me on this. It's just not a good idea.

Edited by Garifab

Honestly, I would advise against it. To say it gives you the "munchies" sounds all fun and cute when you're not high, but when you are high? It's like a rampant, insatiable obsession with finding something to put in your mouth. And, it's very hard to stop eating when you're high. Please believe me on this. It's just not a good idea.

Lol, that seems a little dramatic, no? Haha!

I smoke it occasionally and had it in the first month post-op. It doesn't affect everyone the same...I think that different strains likely bring on different experiences. I have never really gotten "munchies" from it, and definitely did not post-op. You can indeed ingest it in a variety of ways, or you can vaporize it. I guess whether it is a good idea for you depends on the health of your lungs, if you have ever partaken before, how strong your willpower is to stick to your diet.

Lol, that seems a little dramatic, no? Haha!

I suppose it could sound dramatic LOL. But as an active participant in the pleasures of THC, I'm speaking from first hand experience!

Unrelated, but not quite TOTALLY unrelated - one of the things that really had me on the fence about pursuing VSG is an experience that a family friend had two years ago. He was sleeved, and about 10 months out from surgery, he died from internal bleeding caused by overeating. He was also a heavy pot-smoker. In an altered state of mind, we don't make the best decisions, so that is why I'd advise against it, seriously.

When I'm high, I can't even tell you the pleasure gained by eating. It's just SO much better! LOL. But if I get approved for this sleeve? I will definitely not be smoking pot after it anymore.

Like Lallylocks said, everyone's experience is different, and there really ARE many, many different kinds of weed that bring on different side effects and experiences. But for me, it's not a risk worth taking, so I'd advise anyone I cared about not to do it :)

Edited by Garifab

I would seriously advise against it. Just like others have mentioned, being high likely could cause the "munchies" and that couldn't be good for your sleeve. I couldn't imagine anything worse than being "head starved" and not being able to fit anymore in my tiny stomach.

I smoke once in a while. Pot does give me the munchies. It hard not to eat. pot is good though

In states where it is legal you have the benefits of consulting with experts and even physicians about the different strains and side effects. There are strains that can be used for different medicinal properties. Some increase appetite ie munchies and some do not. Some strains are used for sleep etc etc etc I would be frank with the person operating the dispensary that you are a bypass patient or whichever I can't tell on my phone and that you absolutely cannot eat after ingesting and they should be able to steer you in the right direction. Take it slow. Avoid getting THC laced foods and you should be fine. You will be absolutely amazed at how different it is and less taboo out is in a legal state versus the rest of the country.

I guess my question is why would would want to try it ? "Just because its legal" from what you said you haven't used before and there must have been a deeper reason other than it wasn't legal? Yep just a personal perception, Doing something that You haven't done in the past to take a chance on hindering your ultimate goal.

Sure an occasional drink or puff isn’t going to kill you. I live in a legal pot state. It was a bad law voted in by dumb ass stoners that didn’t read what they were voting on. The legal price per pound has escalated to 6K per Lb. The stores sell joints for up to $50 a piece. The law also restricted how much one could own and made the driving while stoned law par with drinking. Before the law one could possess larger quantities for only a small fine and driving didn’t carry the same penalty as drinking. I for one have never seen pot do a person any favors. Sure there are those that preach pots cures all, but again in 99% of those I know are just big stoners looking to legitimize their bad decisions. One that has chosen weight loss surgery has to know drinking is a bad idea along with using any type of mind altering substance to achieve long term results. The mental part of weight loss is hard and one has got to learn to cope with life the old fashion way for the best result.

Lord, here we go....

I think there is nothing wrong a very occasional use of marijuana. I don't think she was inquiring about daily usage. My answers/responses would be very different if so. Rather than argue about the benefits, I think it's legalization will go along way in balancing the racial injustice in the penal system over time. But we don't need to get deep into politics in this forum. I supported the passage on many levels. It's enactment is not what was hoped for, but this is the case with many laws that go into effect. Everyone in support of the bill are not big stoners ***says a person who has used it ten times in 40 years***...... Another option would be to consult her doctor.

Too funny....don't think this was meant to be a debate with all of us.

Oops on my perception and chiming in.