Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused and disappointed

Before I started the pre op liquid diet , I weighed 444 pounds. 14 days later on the 27th of October before surgery I weighed 414 pounds, so I had lost 30 pounds! On the day I left the hospital on the 30th of October I weighed 424 pounds!! I regained 10 pounds back while I was there! Now I just weighed myself and I'm STILL at 424... :'( ...?? I'm doing and eating exactly as my Doctor and his team told me...any suggestions my friends?....I'm a mix of emotions right now...

They pumped you full of IV fluids I would just follow directions and it will start to come off.

The next few weeks I would concentrate on what you were told to do. Stay hydrated. Exercise if you can. I first saw inprovements in my face and stomach. I am to understand when you dont loose pounds you are loosing inches.

I'm the same way almost two weeks out. I did think I noticed my stomach today being a tad smaller when I was leaning over and saw my reflection in the mirror. I'm only down 2 pounds from surgery day.

Be patient and stay off the SCALE! It is not your friend. I am two weeks post op and seemed stuck at a weight so I am saying this for myself as well! What makes me nuts is that if I could do the pre op diet and lose weight while the heck could't I just do it without the surgery... I obviously couldn't. So now I keep telling myself that this time I will be kind to myself and patient. It took years to get this way, I am on the right track and just have to keep plugging along... Take care and best wishes!

That seeming "Weight gain" happened to me too! While the scale might not be your friend right now, the internet certainly CAN be. I read a ridiculous amount before and still after the surgery, looking for comfort that what was going on- from that post surgery weight GAIN to the hideous "gurgly gut" that plagued me for about a week- was normal. Keep your chin up, my friend. It will get better and the weight will come off. :)

I am still pre-op but I've had a ton of other surgeries and I can vouch for the IV fluids causing a LOT of Water weight gain! I've gained as much as 15 lbs from a surgery. You might also have some swelling inside, Give it time, that surgical water weight should come off very easily in the next week or so.

Do not fret. This happens to everyone. While you are in the hospital they pump you full of IV fluids, not to mention scramble your insides. With this scrambling comes a lot of swelling. It can take up to three weeks for this swelling to go away. Give your body some time to heal. I would only begin to be concerned if after a month or so you still have not lost anything. For me the weight didn't really start falling off until i went back to work six weeks after my surgery. I just recommend time. That and not weighing yourself for a few weeks. You doctors follow ups will do that for now.

Thanks Jonathan I'm going to do my best and walk more and stop weighing in so frequently ...as long as I eat right and not over eat it HAS TO come off! :)

Right on @Jorrin. That is what I like to hear. Just keep at it. I promise it will work. If not let me know and we'll kick its but together. How does that sound? Keep in touch and let me know how everything keeps working out for you.

I agree with the above statements stay focus with your Protein, drinking Water, as well as exercise, your body has just gone through a major transformation, and your body was pump up with gas , continue to walk and just weigh yourself maybe once a week not every day. Take one day at a time and focus on making good choices , congrats to you all and welcome to the losers bench.