Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I guess I'm jumping in with both feet...

Hey y'all. I've been reading for a couple of weeks but have been shy about posting. The bariatric group I am having surgery with seem to do everything different then what I've been reading. I had to do all my requirements (6 mos supervised diet, see the NUT, then be the nut for psyche eval, submit medical records, all pre-op test (EKG, blood work, & upper GI) before my doc would even submit to insurance. I was approved with Harvard Pilgrim in less than 48 hours and had them fax letter for approval to insurance coordinator so that I didn't have to wait until they received by snail mail. As of today I'm waiting for a call from the surgery coordinator for a VSG date (trying to stay calm and collective so that I don't blow her phone up, but it's killing me, y'all).

I guess my first question is for those that had a similar journey...how long did it take to get in for surgery? My worry is that I've met my deductible for the year and would like to be 2014 sleeved.

I've really loved following everyone's journey!!

After everything was done, it took a couple weeks to get on the surgeon's schedule for me. The whole process for the band took about 8 months, my revision to sleeve was only about 1 month. So I would guess at this point, it depends on how booked out your surgeon is.

A little over two months, from start to finish.

I attended the seminar August 23rd, had my consult with the surgeon I chose on September 3rd.

Blood work 9/12

Psych visit 9/19

Nutrition Class 9/25

Esophageal manometry 9/26

Endoscopy 9/30

Gynecologist visit 10/3

All forms submitted to insurance the week of 10/13

Received approval letter 10/20

Scheduled surgery for 10/31

Thank you for the reply, Georgia. My biggest worry now is knowing I chose a well known popular doctor in my area and having to wait. Double-edged sword so to speak.

A little over two months, from start to finish.

I attended the seminar August 23rd, had my consult with the surgeon I chose on September 3rd.

Blood work 9/12

Psych visit 9/19

Nutrition Class 9/25

Esophageal manometry 9/26

Endoscopy 9/30

Gynecologist visit 10/3

All forms submitted to insurance the week of 10/13

Received approval letter 10/20

Scheduled surgery for 10/31

Thanks for the reply!! I'm curious if you have to do a pre-op diet and if so how long before surgery?

I am in your boat too. I found out that insurance sent approval yesterday, when I called my surgeons office today to speak with the insurance coordinator I was told they did get it yesterday and would call me (the nurse would) in the order the insurance approval was received to get on the schedule.

If I don't hear from them tomorrow before their office closes for lunch I plan on calling them once they are back from their lunch hour. I too want to have my out of pocket max put to good use before it resets in January.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply!! I'm curious if you have to do a pre-op diet and if so how long before surgery?

I have a one day pre-op diet. My surgeon went over it with me yesterday. I just have to stick with ALL liquids on Thursday, absolutely no food and then nothing at all once midnight hits.

I am in your boat too. I found out that insurance sent approval yesterday, when I called my surgeons office today to speak with the insurance coordinator I was told they did get it yesterday and would call me (the nurse would) in the order the insurance approval was received to get on the schedule.

If I don't hear from them tomorrow before their office closes for lunch I plan on calling them once they are back from their lunch hour. I too want to have my out of pocket max put to good use before it resets in January.

Good luck!

My office said the EXACT same thing. I'm too chicken to call for status. Afraid they'll say "none for you".....lol

I feel very fortunate, after reading post's about how long everyone has waited or is waiting for the sleeve.......I had a consult on Oct 16 th.... 6 day's later I received my insurance approval and a surgery date for Nov 18th.....I guess each doctor is different as far as their requirement's,...Blood work coming up, chest x-ray and that's it.....seems like a dream.

I also have the 14 day pre-op full liquid diet coming up on Nov 4

That's great news!!! I'm starting a form of liquid diet tomorrow to start getting used to Protein shakes. Good luck with everything!!!

Yes, all tests were done prior to submitted to insurance. It was all part of the approval process. Insurance requirements vary a bit (supervised nutrition length, weight history, etc.) but most all require a similar set of tests that are submitted as a nice tidy bundle for approval.

My insurance (Aetna) required 3-month supervised nutrition. I had the other tests done during that time period, though the endoscopy and EKG had to be done within a month before surgery. Everything ran like clockwork, but you may have to stay on top of the tests and some tests may be done outside your surgeon's office. For example, my endoscopy was performed by another doctor recommended by the doctor's office and my bloodwork and EKG were performed by my PCP. It's really making sure that all the results get BACK to your surgeon's office.

Edited by AlwaysVegas