Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone able to drink 1 cocktail after surgery without being sick?

Anyone able to drink 1 cocktail after surgery without being sick?

I'm actually able to have MANY cocktails without feeling sick. I didn't have my first alcohol (wine) until 4 months out or so. I've had multiple drinks (rum, whiskey, vodka, etc) a few times since then with no problems. I could pretty much out drink a football team before surgery, and I am not affected by alcohol any differently now. Three weeks ago I was on vacation and had 1-2 cocktails nearly everyday. I did notice I started getting a little indigestion, so I took Prilosec for 10 days and my tummy feels fine now.

And if you're looking for a really yummy (but very high calorie) cocktail, I just discovered Rumchata while on vacation...OMG!!

Oops, just saw this was in the bypass forum, and I had VSG? But a friend of mine has had bypass and she has a rum and coke a couple times/month. I can't do carbonation at all.

Edited by Kindle

Yes you can after a period of time but liquor will not feel like it's effecting you but it accumulates faster in your blood system then it did before surgery.

Liquor has a lot of calories in it.

You have decide if it's worth while.

I agree with Chelly. I used to drink before surgery, but since I have sworn it off entirely. Though I know plenty of people drink after surgery, my doctor strictly says no, and after everything I went through to get my body back I am not going to risk it over alcohol.

With that being said, to each his own. Here is just some thoughts to think about. Like Chelly said, the alcohol will accumulate faster in your blood stream due to the small size of your stomach. This may seem nice since it wont take some many drinks to get drunk, but it wont take so many drinks to get drunk. Some people don't realize that and can get themselves into trouble.

Another thing to consider is that there is virtually no nutritional value to a cocktail or alcohol of any kind. Even for regular people nutritionists talk about it being empty calories, but with how few calories we are able to take in after surgery, do you really want to wastes 20% or more of them in a day on a drink that will do nothing to strengthen and energize your body?

The last and most serious reason that alcohol should be avoided post surgery is the possibility of addiction. Most all of us wound up needing the surgery because to varying degrees we were all addicted to food. With that addition no longer a possibility, many surgery patients become alcoholics due to the the quick high and cheap nature of getting drunk with a smaller stomach. Weather you think you can handle the drinks without getting addicted over time is up to you, but why risk the possibility.

In the end the choice to drink or not too is personal. It is the reasoning above that I do not. I worked too hard and went through too much, to throw it all away possibly with alcohol. Alcohol is not inherently bad and you could probably have a few cocktails without issue, I just don't want to open myself up to the possibility of losing everything I worked for. My line in the sand is to just not play with fire.

I hope these facts were helpful in aiding you in a decision. No matter what you decide, keep up the amazing work. You are going through a time of discover you will never again have and the journey is absolutely amazing. You will find yourself able to do things you never thought you could or would be able to do again. For that, I am so excited for you .

If you have any additional questions or I can help in any way, please let me know. My contact information is below.

Thanks everyone, I was just curious Pryor to surgery I was maybe a 5 cocktail a year kinda gal so no love loss. Totally not worth dying or getting sick over. Thanks for the feedback. :)