Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can we talk pre-op testing?

Hi guys, I'm going through a bunch of tests as a pre-op and I wanted to find out what your experiences have been with some of these tests. I've done the nutrition class and the surgery seminar as well as the psych eval and now I have to have the following:

Endoscopy

Upper GI

Abdominal Ultrasound

EKG, Bloodwork, etc.

Mostly I want to know how bad the upper gi is because I heard you have to drink yucky stuff....also the endoscopy. They are going to put me under for that because I told him I'd panic if I was at all aware while something was down my throat (LOL) so I'll be asleep for that. Also, do you have to take some kind of liquid laxative before the surgery and if so, how bad does that taste? I gag rather easily and am very worried about having to drink gross stuff. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

i didn't have an upper gi, but i did have a colonoscopy with my endoscopy, and had to drink yukky stuff for that. it was awful, and i didn't do a great job at it... i had to dilute it way more than the directions called for, and in the end i was still only able to drink half. i'm like you, i have trouble with gagging on yukky stuff, even holding my nose.

when i got to the hospital for the tests, the nurse told me not to worry, as long as i drank most of it, and on the final report, it said that i had excellent preparation (read: cleaned out colon).

i don't think you have to take a laxative before the surgery, but you will most probably be on liquids only before hand so it probably won't be an issue.

just remember you can get through anything and keep your eyes on the prize. i believe it's ok to whine about these things too, so feel free to let it out if you want to. :)

I did endoscopy, and yes they put you put..but it's for like 15 minutes. I will have blood work and EKG within 30 days prior to surgery but this is not for insurance..it's for the anesthesiologist. I was suffering severe acid reflux that warranted the endoscopy which resulted in the findings of a Hiatal Hernia that will be removed during surgery. I also quit smoking so that gave me a great deal of acid reflux relief as well.

I had the endoscopy and there was nothing to it. They put me under, I blinked my eyes closed and when they opened, it was over. I had a barely noticible scratchy throat afterwards, and if I hadn't been told to expect that, I would not even have noticed it.

I had to drink barium, the same stuff used for the upper gi, for my leak test. Brace yourself, cause it is disgusting. But at least you will be drinking it BEFORE surgery, not hours after, like I had to. It just tastes bad and it's only a few ounces. Nothing to it. :-)

I had the endoscopy, and it went just fine!! I was SO sleepy though. After I got home, I slept for about 6 hours, woke up, and laid back down 2 hours later. I never felt a thing!

I did the endoscopy, EKG, Abdominal/Liver u/s, etc. None of them were really a big deal. I was also worried about the endoscopy, but really, the worst part was just getting the IV. I was in and out in no time and no discomfort at all. In fact I remember my hubby and I stopped and had a lunch date on the way home. :-)

I just had my upper GI today. It wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. The barium drink was not that bad. Just very thick and chalky, but didn't have a bad taste, just the consistency was yucky.

The worst part for me was that they make you change positions constantly so it coats your stomach and they get different pictures at all kinds of different angles... standing up, laying down, rolling over, on your stomach, etc. All of that was hard when the barium is feeling so heavy in your stomach. I kind of felt sick to my stomach doing all of that, but again, nothing that was awful or unbearable. Just unpleasant and not something I want to do again!

Don't stress over this test, it's not as bad as you anticipate, at least it wasn't for me.

Thank you so much :) I feel a bit better knowing the truth about it now...I'll get through it ...I hope without gagging or puking LOL

Just remember, the only tough part is the nasty pre-op drink for the GI/colonoscopy. But that doesn't go on for long and then you are done. The actual procedures are a snap. And these screenings are GOOD for you, even if you were not having surgery. So put up with it and tell yourself this is necessary for your health. You will get through it!

I only had to do a chest xray, ekg and blood work. And if anything was wrong with them, then I do followup testing. Thankfully, they were all normal. I wonder why all doctors Dont do all the same testing.