Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Surgery Dates Anyone? Let's Connect!

Same here the taste in the mouth is getting better..do u feel like when u swallow there's something stuck in the back of your throat?? Lol my husband make fun of me but it's strange the feeling

I have the same feeling.what is that?

Edited by Ldimples

Hi everyone! Just checking in. I have almost two weeks out from surgery (Nov 24) and amazingly I've been doing pretty good. My struggle is finding things that have enough Protein throughout the day. I go to the doctor for a follow up today so maybe the nutritionist can help me. Yesterday I got close, but then I started feeling nauseous so I stopped eating. I do think that the nausea is relates to gas in the pouch as well. Once I got some really good burps out, Ifelt wonderful again. Just a tip that I learned from working in the recovery room at the hospital. keep a couple of alcohol swabs by the bed. When you get nauseous, place one right on the tip of your nose. Something about being able to smell the alcohol helps ease the nausea. I worked for me last night. I hope someone else here finds it helpful. I'm glad to hear that everyone is doing well along this journey!

Hi all hope everybody's doing well managing your challenges knowing it gets better each day. I haven't posted in a while but I thought I'd update how I'm doing. I'm 4 weeks out and I'm really amazed how well I'm doing. I'm able to get my two Protein Shakes and 64 ounces of Water in each day and that amazes me. I'm on the mushi's phase so I'm supposed to be getting in three small meals a day plus two shakes. I am finding it very difficult 2 actually eat three small meals at all. I'm just not hungry. So I really do just eat a bit of cheese around lunch time and then some sort of moist meat at dinner time when the rest of my family eats. Haven't eaten Breakfast yet. Also the 30 30 rule of no liquids before eating and after eating is a little challenging especially since I'm not eating solid food all the time. But I'm very lucky I've only had nauseousness maybe 3 times in the last month but I did throw up once the day after Thanksgiving when I ate some too dry Turkey ... That was not fun I won't be doing that again so I am being very careful. I've lost 29 pounds in 6 weeks that includes my two week pre op diet so I'm happy with the results so far. I feel like I'm in a bit of a stall I hope by next week I'll have lost more weight. Haven't been motivated to go to the gym yet but hopefully I'll go do the treadmill some tomorrow. That's about it for me just trying to keep tabs with the group. Take care everyone

My surgery was on the 25th so I am now almost 9 days post. I am still really struggling to get in all of my Protein and liquids, I feel full constantly. I am also still still very sore on my left side, and my pain medicine gives me nightmares.

@NewJeffery Thank You for the encouragement! I am praying that I will have my best day yet at a month out so that Christmas is awesome!

Ready2B - Thanks for your kind words about my father in laws passing. Much appreciated.

Jen Cox - I'm so happy to hear that you're doing well. I'm hanging in there too.

I've lost about 32lb. and am pleased, but I still worry about how much I'm supposed to be eating. Sometimes I feel like I can't even manage more than a few bites, and other times I actually can eat quite a bit more.

Is anyone else finding that they can eat larger amount every once in a while???? I sure don't want to stretch my pouch.

Yes, I have that awful "Morning Mouth" too. Any ideas what that's from? I see my surgeon next week for my 4 week visit. I'm going to ask him.

Dabliss I often feel like there are times when I can eat more and other times where I can eat as much the same goes for drinking liquids. I constantly worry about stretching my pouch. I'm surprised at the amount of Water I can drink sometimes. Now if I could just remember my third Calcium in the day I'd be doing okay I always forget it. Glad to hear you're hanging in there thanks for getting back to me.

Sometimes I have to stop myself from eating and sometimes my pouch let's me know it is time to stop. On a few occasions I ate such a small amount and had a lot of discomfort afterwards and other times it seems like I can't eat a larger amount and have no problems. It sounds like some other people are experiencing this too. I will be 4 weeks out on Monday and I have been having terrible Constipation for the last 2 weeks. I have been taking Miralax, but it hasn't helped. I guess my body is still adjusting to all the changes going on. Is anyone else having this problem? I did not have it in the beginning, but I sure do now!

I was in the honeymoon phase a couple of weeks ago, but sadly the honeymoon seems to be over way too quickly! I am stalled already this past week at only 20 lbs lost since surgery on Nov. 10th - almost a month ago. I was losing a pound a day, but now haven't lost anything in 5 days. So it is hard not to worry that I won't lose much weight after all - and that scares me.

I told my husband last night that I hate food! I hate having to eat it and I hate when I do I am so cautious that I can't really enjoy it. It seems if my mouth likes it, my pouch doesn't and vice versa. cheese seems to be the only thing that pleases both but I am quickly getting tired of that too.My tummy is so finicky that he and I don't eat meals together because I have to eat when my pouch says it is okay, which stinks because sharing mealtime was special to us and I miss it. So most nights, he grabs a frozen dinner when he feels like it and I nibble cheese or whatever when I can. I am really hating this arrangement.

The first couple of weeks went so beautifully and I was easily getting in all my Protein & fluids, but now it is a real challenge to get in (and keep) even half. My energy is low and I am frustrated and a bit depressed wondering how long things will be like this. Fortunately I have my one month appointment this week so maybe I will get some tips that might improve things a little.

Sorry to be such a downer but I decided to share anyway in case anyone else is feeling the same way about now or has already gone through this phase and might have some words of wisdom for me.

Hey Ready2b I'm not having similar emotional issues, but struggling with some behavioral, emotional issues.

I went back to Church today. I'm an Assistant Pastor and I've been away for 4 weeks. I didn't tell anyone about my surgery (I don't know why because we are a small, country, intimate church), but people kind of know, but they are polite enough not to inquire.

Here's my issue. All day people kept telling me how great I looked. I should keep doing whatever it is I am doing because I look younger, healthier, etc.. I don't know how to take these types of compliments. I haven't heard them for over 35 years. I'm better at insults and criticism for my weight than compliments. In fact, I responded negatively. I said things like, "You know me, just wait until our Christmas dinner. I'm going to eat it all back, ha ha, ha." AM I NUTS!!! Internally I thought, "You still have 175lbs to lose this is nothing!!"

I didn't realize that the emotional aspect of this journey was going to be this tough. I really underestimated it. Now tomorrow I go back to work (I am a Chaplain at a Homeless Shelter) and I am kind of scared, which is really hard for me to admit.

Thank you Ready2b for opening up because it allowed me to vent and put out somethings I'm dealing with today.

Jeffrey (New Jeffrey)

I guess that's there is a little joy in being single and isolated from people a lot of the time while I'm still away from work (except my children). I haven't really missed meals as social time.

I've never been a meal-time mom. The kids now eat at their convenience and only really ever ask me for suggestions or give me their grocery store requests or fast food orders. I think that started because they convinced themselves that I can't cook - maybe they're right. Some how, someway, I've gotta make this work for me- even if I'm perpetually single forever.

@Gingerisgreat. Hang in there. I'll be 4 weeks out this coming Tuesday, and I have to admit that yesterday and today i've felt better than I have. I've go more energy, and the pain is pretty much gone on my left side. The only time I feel a twinge is if I bend over at the waist to pick something up off the floor or something.

It'll get easier to get all your Protein and Fluid in too.

hang in there.

@@Time4ChangeNY Hi D. Still not pooping???? I'm not going to well either. I've given up on the Miralax. I actually took a dose of good old Milk of Magnesia and it helped, but I don't think it totally did the job. :huh:

I really think if we could actually eat some veggies that aren't mush or a salad, we'd do better.

I'd kill for a ceasar salad..

Ready2B and Newjeffery,

I hear you both loud and clear. I've been trying to shut down my fear this last several days too. I was out doing some Christmas shopping and ran into someone I hadn't seen in awhile...not a close friend, but someone I see every then and again. She made a big to do about how good I looked. Asked if I had changed my hair or makeup. I haven't lost so much weight that I think it really shows. The 30lbs. I've lost is a drop in the bucket compared to the 160 I need to loose, but I guess it does show in my face. I started feeling uncomfortable like I owed her some kind of explanation. I'm afraid at what people that I'm not real close to will think or say when they see me in several months.

The other thing that bothers me is that people I do know well (family included) keep asking me how I'm doing and if I feel alright. I keep thinking that they expect to hear that I feel like crap and that I'm starving to death. I've even had someone comment on how little I ate at a meal and that they were very concerned that i was going to make myself sick. Obviously this person doesn't really understand what I did, or they wouldn't make such a stupid comment.

I worry that because I've had this surgery that some people are going to think that I should be loosing 30-40 lbs a month, and that if I don't, I must be doing something wrong. I worry all the time that I'm not doing something right.....

I keep thinking I should be loosing faster than I am, especially since I only lost 1 lb this past week. I keep thinking that my dead metabolism is going to keep me from being successful and it scares me.

I think we all have our demons and fears, and only time will help us get past them. That's why we post here. We're all in the same boat, and it's good to know that others are struggling in some of the same ways.