Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My advice is to not fear the unknown. I can tolerate a large amount of sugar.

Skyhawks35,

I am here to comfort your frail nerves lol. I loved sugar. Especially Mt. Dew, Cookies, cakes, pies, and candy. You named it, I loved it. The surgery has a unique way a playing with your taste buds and it changes them almost immediately. It is very weird. I have talked to many patients and they all agree with what happened to me. Right before surgery I was drinking the Zero Calorie Gatorade G2 and Zero Calorie Poweraide. It was something I could drink as a part of my pre-surgical diet and I was pounding it down by the gallon. Literally, the day they started allowing me to drink liquids again, they gave me a G2 to drink. I took one sip and almost spit it out! It was so sweet it was actually sickening. I found that after that moment and almost to this day, I still have to dilute my G2 half in half with Water.

I have no idea what it is, or what mechanism is triggered in the body to cause this, but many post surgery patients discover that a lot of the foods they eat taste different. I used to love pickles and now, a year later, I still can't stomach them. As far as sugar goes, with the fact that I was seemingly more sensitive to sugar products, I have tried to not introduce them back. I stick to sugar free products whenever possible. I have found that a lot of sweet treats taste way too sweet so I have to find toned down versions of. The good news is, because it no longer tastes good, you wont miss it as much.

Every persons body is different and will react in different ways, but expect your taste buds to change almost instantly post surgery. Use these changes to your advantage such as with the sensitivity to sugar. Believe me, you will be doing so many amazing things as you progress there will be times when you will forget about it entirely. I have a long list of good sugar free treats for all occasions. Let me know if you have any additional questions. If I can help in any way at all please let me know by contacting me at one of the links below. Don't be too concerned about the surgery. I know you will do amazing and it will be the start of an epic journey that will change your life. Take time to enjoy the process.

Jonathan Blue

@Fat2FitBlue

Blog: http://wakingupfromh...s.blogspot.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook...ealjonathanblue

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. I guess it is fear of the unknown. Its just weird to think for almost 30 years these foods have been my toxic friends and now im saying goodbye.

I'm such a sugaraholic that I dream of gorging on sweets and that's the only time I have them is in my dreams. LOL

I don't touch sugary things at all like I did all my life.

I'm offered to try stuff all the time and I just say no.

I have found substitutes for wanting something sweet like Quest Bars that have 20g or 21g of Protein in them. They come in a multitude of flavors.

sugar free popsicles. I prefer Bomb Pops sugar free popsicles made with Splenda.

Sugar free pudding.

I use Torani sugar free syrups in my Protein shakes to have different flavored shakes. They come in all sorts of flavors and are made with Splenda.

I use PB2 Peanut Butter or PB2 chocolate Peanut Butter powders to my shakes and they add 4g of Protein to the shake also.

These are just a few things you can do or if you cook or bake I suggest you go to the site of The World According to Eggface. You will find a lot of recipes to help you.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery and don't worry so much it will be okay.