Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you get your protein in right after surgery?

I had my surgery on Oct. 7th. I had a rough time of it right after surgery, or so I've been told. I was so doped up, I don't remember very much. But I was doing great by the second day. I haven't needed any pain medicine since coming home from the hospital. Overall, I'm doing well. I get a frequent gassy feeling in my chest after swallowing, no big deal though. But my one concern is that I'm only getting in about 50-75% of my Protein requirement. I'm on full liquid right now. I mix the Nestle Beneprotein powder I was given by the bariatric center prior to my surgery with my Greek yogurt, but a scoop of that only has 6 g Protein. And I gag down one Muscle shake a day, which has about 20 g, but I really don't like the taste.

Anyway, is it common not to reach the protein goal right at the beginning? Should I be majorly concerned?

I also had my surgery oct 7. I dont start full liquids until tomorrow. However my nutrionist recomended we buy Protein Powder. Must be 20 grams per scoop. Then we mix it in only 4 oz skim milk. This give 24 grams of Protein in 4oz. Easier to get down then yogurt. I also add a bit of cinnamon to my choc shake. Cuts the protein flavor. Right now im able to get 72 grams a day

I did not. My surgeon's guidelines were to concentrate on getting in liquids and work up to the Protein goal over the first few weeks. My first few days out of surgery I was not consuming 60 grams of Protein. I wasn't even drinking Protein shakes until week two.

I didn't start getting a significant amount of Protein in until 7 days post-op, when I was allowed to start drinking Protein Shakes again. I was only allowed broth and Jello the first four days, then drinkable yogurt at 5 days, but that only has about 4-5g of protein per serving, and I wasn't able to handle much more than a serving per day at that point. But on Day 7 I started protein shakes and was able to get in 40-60 grams a day that way until I was allowed to start my pureed stage. Once I was able to have scrambled eggs, soft cheese, and shredded meats, I was finally able to start getting up into the 85-100 range my nutritionist wanted me in.

No, I did not get my allotted Protein (from liquids). My surgeon wanted me to focus on staying hydrated, and getting my fluids in. Later on, there were days when I didn't get my protein in. When I went in for my labs a few months back they said my protein levels were actually really good. My doctor had me focusing on getting my protein from food, rather than Protein Shakes.

I had my surgery on the 7th too. I am on a liquid diet for another week. I didn't know you could mix only 4oz to the Protein Shake. I will try the cinnamon too. I hate to ask this but has anyone had diarrhea after you came home.

Absolutely. There were some very bad days!!! Just make sure to stay hydrated. I swear that is where a lot of my weight loss came from.

:)

No, definitely not. The first week was really about staying hydrated and just trying to get my Water in...that was challenge enough. I didn't worry too much about counting and tracking Protein, etc until after that.

Your replies eased my concerns. I went for my post-op checkup yesterday to meet with the surgeon, but he wasn't there. I met with the nurse instead, but she wasn't concerned about Protein at this point. She said in that first week the important thing was getting in enough liquid.

While 64 oz of Fluid is the goal, the real danger zone is when we drink less than 40 ounces a day. I usually get in 50-70, but the other post-op patients I was talking to at the bariatric meeting were not able to hit goal--ever. Today I get to start pureed foods. Looking forward to it...I think.