Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are there any moderates around here?

Someone may be a "liberal Republican" or a "conservative Democrat", but as long as they vote Republican or vote Democrat, that's what they are.

Yep......there has never been a political platform that I agreed with totally, but when it comes time to vote, I'm a yellow dog Democrat.

I can't pick a side anymore!

I used to think I was liberal, but now that I'm an adult with responsibilities and a child, my views have changed drastically.

I am pro-environment to the nth degree. It's a crime to pollute. (I do as much as I possibly can to be "green" and still I feel guilty at night, I will strive to be green for the rest of my life)

I am anti-corporate corruption, pro-small business, anti-big business

anti-socialized healthcare, anti-immigration (by that I mean we should eliminate illegal immigration and reduce legal immigration or better monitor it), anti-multi-culturalism (I believe too many cultures and languages in one place creates chaos and conflict because there are too many boundaries for people to overcome when socializing and working together), pro-gay partner rights but anti-gay marriage,

I think abortions are wrong but only doctors and their patients can make the decision about the life of an unborn before it's old enough to survive outside the womb, employers should pay working wages, guns don't kill people-people do, this country lacks communities.

I am pro-mass transit, anti-oil (mostly because burning gas and oil make me sick, literally), pro-wind power, pro-hydro, blah blah blah.

Anyway, I also believe it's my responsbility to vote, and sometimse I have the hardest time of it. Then I end up choosing the candidate that is most trustworthy because a politician can change their mind but not how well it works. (i.e. a smart, honest, trustworthy, reasonable representative who I disagree with is preferable to a weak, dumb, shady, dishonest, unreasonable politician I agree with)

Evilah

PS. Let 'er rip!

Everyone has to have a lable. Its aggrevating to the n-th degree.

Are you walking down this path in life stuck in a political party even if you only are for 50% of what they stand for???

Is it disgusting to you that the laws are being written that they either fall so far left or so far right, that you only feel like you can half way support it?

Im sick of this disgusting us or them, democrat or republican, all right or all wrong mentality that has stricken this country.

It seems that if you even waiver for a minute to the "other side" (of what ever issue) you have to be a part of the "other group".

I, for one, am going to say it. Republicans have good ideas, Democrats have good ideas, sometimes, both parties have ideas that SUCK. Same goes for what ever "camp" you happen to be in, political or not.

Why does everyone have to sing the "their my party, got to toe the line" on crap you really cant support because its only "they thought of it first, so I cant support them"

ARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

@#$!$%)$68

Ok, rant over.

I think many people secretly feel this way. They just get pushed into a corner and become intimidated,and come out swinging hardline.

I can't pick a side anymore!

I used to think I was liberal, but now that I'm an adult with responsibilities and a child, my views have changed drastically.

I am pro-environment to the nth degree. It's a crime to pollute. (I do as much as I possibly can to be "green" and still I feel guilty at night, I will strive to be green for the rest of my life)

I am anti-corporate corruption, pro-small business, anti-big business

anti-socialized healthcare, anti-immigration (by that I mean we should eliminate illegal immigration and reduce legal immigration or better monitor it), anti-multi-culturalism (I believe too many cultures and languages in one place creates chaos and conflict because there are too many boundaries for people to overcome when socializing and working together), pro-gay partner rights but anti-gay marriage,

I think abortions are wrong but only doctors and their patients can make the decision about the life of an unborn before it's old enough to survive outside the womb, employers should pay working wages, guns don't kill people-people do, this country lacks communities.

I am pro-mass transit, anti-oil (mostly because burning gas and oil make me sick, literally), pro-wind power, pro-hydro, blah blah blah.

Anyway, I also believe it's my responsbility to vote, and sometimse I have the hardest time of it. Then I end up choosing the candidate that is most trustworthy because a politician can change their mind but not how well it works. (i.e. a smart, honest, trustworthy, reasonable representative who I disagree with is preferable to a weak, dumb, shady, dishonest, unreasonable politician I agree with)

Evilah

PS. Let 'er rip!

Evillah, I suspect that you are in the same quandary as most folk. You have some values which are considered as leftist and others which are considered as being right-wing. Up here in Canada you would be considered a centrist.

The problem with voting for a worthy candidate is that he or she is often pressured to vote along party lines and so what you are getting is not that individual's particular set of ethics but the party programme. This means that when you are voting you must examine the platforms of the dueling parties and take this into account.

Given your set of values I would be inclined, if I were you, to vote Democrat. And now I will tell you why. Up here in Canada we have 3 major parties, a conservative one, a middle of the road party and a party which is left-wing. Though our left-wing party has never been successful at gaining power at the federal level it has won power at the provincial (state) level from time to time in various Canadian provinces. Once this idealist, left-wing party manages to achieve power it inevitably slides towards the political centre. It has to, for it must deal with the needs of both big and small business - the wheels of economy, in brief - as well as the constraints of the operating budget, the concerns of the taxpayer, etc. In short, a left-wing government becomes aware that compromises do have to be made.

Your Democrat party will never be able to push through universal health care; there is simply too much opposition from big business and too much fear of this type of programme from people like yourself. They will never be able to push through same sex marriage for exactly the same reasons. Similarly, your Republican party will probably be unsuccessful at outlawing abortion altogether.

But the Democrat party is a greener and more environmentally friendly party. They are also considerably less friendly to big business and to big oil, preferring, instead, to support small businesses and small business initiatives, preferring to loosen American dependency on fossil fuels, and choosing to recognise the value of the worker and the importance of trickle up economics. I do believe that the Democratic party is prepared to be a little more creative and responsive with respect to the serious problems which harrass both America and the international community today.

Of course I am writing from the viewpoint of a Canadian and you must understand that we are viewing your situation as outsiders. This can be useful but at the same time we foreigners do miss a lot of the subtleties, eh.:)

Green,

Very well spoken! How can you be so clear-headed and half starving at the same time? LOL! Ok, maybe you're not half-starving. Maybe I have lyme disease or something.

I hate Bush, and I don't like McCain either, but I might would be persuaded to vote for Rudy Julliani, anyway last time I voted for Kerry. It was like well, shall I vote for the skull or the bones? last election. I could have done without the war bit, but now we're in such international deep SH** that we're going to have to be heavily militarized, and also make vast investments in other countries just to get through it.

Evilah

Green,

Very well spoken! How can you be so clear-headed and half starving at the same time? LOL! Ok, maybe you're not half-starving. Maybe I have lyme disease or something.

I hate Bush, and I don't like McCain either, but I might would be persuaded to vote for Rudy Julliani, anyway last time I voted for Kerry. It was like well, shall I vote for the skull or the bones? last election. I could have done without the war bit, but now we're in such international deep SH** that we're going to have to be heavily militarized, and also make vast investments in other countries just to get through it.

Evilah

Thanks for the compliment, eh! :what:

It seems to me that there are some interesting men, men with actual signs of intelligence, in the race for the chance to run for a Republican presidency this time around. Rudy Giuliani is one.

Certainly for America to win back its standing in the eyes of the international community it will have to elect an intelligent president this time around, one who doesn't talk about gittin' his orders from God. In international diplomatic circles this sounds just plain weird. And of course the war in Iraq has badly damaged America's reputation as well as ruining the current British Prime Minister's, Tony Blair, political future. You might recall that he supported the war in Iraq and now he is being forced to resign because he is the single most hated politician in Britain as a result of this action.

At the moment I am not starving but I am sick.:sick I have had a cold for four weeks now and I caught some kind of intestinal bug when I was down in Mexico.:help: I am living on cough Syrup with codiene and Immodium!:) Ugh!

I say, proudly, that i am a republican (SHOCK). BUT! I am not proud of my party. And there are many republican representatives out there that feel the same way and are trying to change things. Giuliani is one of those, and I for one could back him completely. of course, no two people will feel exactly the same way. When I vote, I try to vote for the person that mirrors my wants and needs as much as possible. On specific issues, i vote depending on the issue. That is all anyone can do. But I do vote, and I vote my mind. I do not let my party, or anyone else, affect my vote in anyway.

LOL...I'm not shocked, Funny. :biggrin1:

I typically vote Democrat but I've supported and voted for some Republicans when I've had enough information on that candidate to feel confident in my vote.