Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dealing with food addiction POST SURGERY

Ok I had gastric sleeve surgery on the 4th last saturday and I am now 9 days out of surgery. The system I find with my surgeon is very different unlike the ones I am reading like I said I am Nigerian live in Nigeria but did my surgery in England. 2 days after surgery my surgeon got me on yogurts and I tolerated it and the day after I started yogurt in the morning, Soup and yogurt in the afternoon and Soups and yogurt at night and it was soup with bits in and I was fine. The next morning I had porridge (oatmeal) that was lumpy I was fine. I was walking about the next day as at today the pain is almost non existent except for a weird back pain like I had epidural (odd). I am now beginning to fight a need to snack as all I do is sit in my hotel room watch TV and my life revolved around food for a long time that is why I ballooned to 361 pounds. I have been quite naughty as I have been ordering room service wasting a lot of money on food I cant eat. This is where the food addiction kicks in that I am now afraid surgery cant solve. Can anyone relate to me and tell me how they got over it post op. On the flip side I am now 343 pounds today YAYYY. I need to know this too is normal

A book helped me a lot:

Emotional First + Aid Kit for Bariatric Surgery by Cynthia Alexander

http://www.amazon.com/Emotional-First-Aid-Kit-Practical/dp/0976852659/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413172008&sr=1-1&keywords=emotional+first+aid+kit+for+bariatric+surgery

Also, I would get out of the room and TV and walk, a lot... eventually, you could get a bike and meet people. You need a life besides the 4 walls of a room and TV!

Thank you @@BeagleLover very good advice ill go into town today and look at nice shoes I can use to reward myself. Ill get the book as well as I need something to help me.

Are you on stomach acid reducer?

4 weeks after surgery, they took me off those tablets and hunger came roaring back; as soon as I went back on them, the hunger went away.

Having said that, it seems that maybe your issue is more like mine - boredom fuelling food.

I am learning ( not perfect) that I just have to say "no" to that and find something else to do..

Good Luck!

The back pain appears to be as a result of lying on ur back on the operating table, that should ease off shortly. My sips of diluted Ribena seems to help me with the urge to binge.

Edited by Dollyp

Thank you everyone I have managed to start walking about and go out windows shopping imagining myself going into normal shops not only the plus size ones. Another thing I am now beginning to battle with is coming to the realisation that my life has changed and breaking up with my best friend food? ???

@@nikkydizzle, SO happy to hear that you are on your way to healthy-- physically and mentally!!!

I wish I could snack sometimes lol, my sleeve is pretty sensitive and if I overeat, or even attempt one more bite I will throw up...well dry heave for 10-20 minutes.

I know at some point I will have to add Snacks in and eat 5 mini meals, but it seems so daunting to me right now. I'm a month post op on Monday, and still don't have much of an appetite, and when I do eat, I can eat a few bites and be done.

Stop spending money on room service and spend it on a therapist.

:)

Hello, thank you for your post. Like you and everyone else on this site, I have an addiction to food. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE ALL THINGS BREAD! With that being said, when the post-op day arrived for me to try bread, I opted not to. My taste buds have changed since surgery, but I do not want to remember what it tastes like. I have control what I eat now and I want to stay in control. I want to be a success . My advice to you is remember what got you into this situation. You have received a second chance. Good luck. Melanie

Hello, thank you for your post. Like you and everyone else on this site, I have an addiction to food. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE ALL THINGS BREAD! With that being said, when the post-op day arrived for me to try bread, I opted not to. My taste buds have changed since surgery, but I do not want to remember what it tastes like. I have control what I eat now and I want to stay in control. I want to be a success . My advice to you is remember what got you into this situation. You have received a second chance. Good luck. Melanie

I tried toast and it sits like a lump in my stomach...no point in eating it