Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sick from Weight Loss

Sick from weight loss

Now that I have you reading let me tell you what is going on. I am not sick because of the weight loss; the weight loss has released toxic chemicals from my fat. In my life I have been exposed to some bad chemicals. After the Lap-Band I began to loose weight and felt great. After about 70 pounds of weight loss I got very sick. I have not had my band filled as planed to keep up my weight loss. I am regaining my health and letting my body recover. I have increased my food intake and feel a lot better.

Having said all of that I will get another fill in the future (soon I hope). I am very glad I was able to get the band. The band could have been unfilled if needed. I did not get it unfilled; I took in more food. I have learned that I need to go slow in my weight loss or risk getting very sick.

What I can say to others is that a slow weight loss my be disappointing, but it may be much better for your health. I knew that I had exposure to some bad chemicals. I chose to forget about the effects on my future health. As I started to loose weight I did not understand the effects of the chemicals that were being released from my shrinking fat. It is much better to be able to have the band that can be adjusted. I feel that had I not been able to take in more food and recover that my health would be worse.

Now I say "get the band and take it slow"

that's scary, I know I have been exposed some nast chemicals. I don't think it will be bad, but I don't know.

Thank you for this post. I am a slow loser at 1 lb per week. I feel great though. I'm glad my body is adjusting properly.

Can I ask WHAT kind of chemicals were you exposed to that your body has stored in your fat cells???

fat soluble toxins:

:) Parabens (preservatives in cosmetics, food, etc.)

:D Estrogen Mimickers, and estrogen itself

(Birth control pills, dioxin from water/air, pthalates from plastics even polyethylene plastics 4,5,1,and2 but especially from polycarbonate plastics)

:D Solvents (alcohols such rubbing alcohol, benzene -soft drinks with benzoate and citric acid-, various alcohols used in shampoos and cosmetics),

:) Air pollution from cigarettes and cars, but ESPECIALLY cars (PAH's polyaromatic hydrocarbons).

:mad: Water pollution (Pesticides, etc.)

Im' assuming most people don't expose themselves to pesticides, but then someone buys them. There's so many more successful natural ways to deal with pests than pesticides. If you live near a cotton field, or even near any other farm where crop dusting is used, you probably have bad exposure to these sorts of chemicals)

If it is fat soluble, whatever does not get deconstructed and made excretable by your liver, or absorbed by Fiber (and excreted as a solid) in your gut) goes right into your fat cells.

Plus, heavy metals can get stuck there too if they form a complex with a molecule (one that is fat soluble on one end, and can chelate a heavy metal on the other end). I know for sure that they get stuck in your liver cells, and won't come out unless you use chelation therapy.

MINI RANT: Most people go on and on about the dangers of tobacco, but here's the deal, your daily commute exposure or exposure if you live near a highly trafficked roadway or freeway is as bad or worse than smoking a cigarette. It has been proven repeatedly that such exposure increases heart disease, decreases childern's intelligence, and causes respiratory problems such as COPD. Google it. I live in Washington, and my response to their no smoking ban, was that there are from more people smoking their tailpipes right into my lungs than cigarettes. I have asthma, and second-hand smoke will irritate me, but diesel fumes or burning oil will send me to the hospital. I have a really hard time being civil to other people who talk about how "healthy" they are, and concerned about other people, then putt away in their poison puffing vehicle.

If you drive a vehicle with bad exhaust PLEASE PLEASE fix it, or if you don't know find out. There are so many people whose lives are made miserable by car exhaust.

Chimney smoke is pretty bad too, because of the large particles it contains.

I drive a newer honda 4 door honda civic which has near zero emissions, and as soon as I've saved up the down payment, I am purchasing a prius which has virtually zero emissions. I shove my large body into a newer smaller car, even though I could afford to drive a larger more comfortable slightly older larger car, because I can't drive something that I know makes me sick, and others too.

Thanks for the education -- this was the first I had heard of someone getting sick from losing weight == from toxins stored in the body!

Thanks again!

Gina

Sick from weight loss

Now that I have you reading let me tell you what is going on. I am not sick because of the weight loss; the weight loss has released toxic chemicals from my fat. In my life I have been exposed to some bad chemicals. After the Lap-Band I began to loose weight and felt great. After about 70 pounds of weight loss I got very sick. I have not had my band filled as planed to keep up my weight loss. I am regaining my health and letting my body recover. I have increased my food intake and feel a lot better.

Having said all of that I will get another fill in the future (soon I hope). I am very glad I was able to get the band. The band could have been unfilled if needed. I did not get it unfilled; I took in more food. I have learned that I need to go slow in my weight loss or risk getting very sick.

What I can say to others is that a slow weight loss my be disappointing, but it may be much better for your health. I knew that I had exposure to some bad chemicals. I chose to forget about the effects on my future health. As I started to loose weight I did not understand the effects of the chemicals that were being released from my shrinking fat. It is much better to be able to have the band that can be adjusted. I feel that had I not been able to take in more food and recover that my health would be worse.

What diagnostics have you had that indicate this is your problem?

It's true "was a bubble butt" some of the same symptoms could mean the body is rejecting the band, or that there is erosion or something-- that the band is the problem, not the toxins.

It's true "was a bubble butt" some of the same symptoms could mean the body is rejecting the band, or that there is erosion or something-- that the band is the problem, not the toxins.

No, not necessarily rejecting the band, that is something that is like 1 in a million cases. There are lots of things it could be and that is why I question the diagnostics that were done to demonstrate the problem.

I'm curious about the diagnosis too. I'm sure there are lots of us dealing with health issues that maybe should have this checked out..

Sick from weight loss

I was recently super sick and my PCP said he could smell keytones in my breath. This is a byproduct created when you are burning up fat and muscle. I ended up getting 2 IV's in the office and had to go to HRMC for a magnesium infusion again. I was so lethargic. Had zero energy. Got my band unfilled .4 cc!

I am diabetic so that complicates it some but I wonder if you were throwing off keytones. On the Atkin's diet they want you in ketosis but my kidneys can't handle the stress of ketosis. Just an idea you might want to run by your doc.

I had lost 12 lbs in 4 weeks and could not eat Breakfast and it was just Soup for lunch. I could only get some dinner down.

Now I can overeat so am trying to just get my health back and trying to eat reasonably. :hungry:

Diabetic ketoacidosis is a serious condition and putting your body into a state of ketosis when you have kidney issues is dangerous. Like wasabubble, I would be interested in learning what toxins were causing the illness, what were the presenting symptoms, how it was diagnosed, and what the treatment plan was.

Elizabeth, I was actually scared as I was so weak. I was not nauseated but just had no zip. I would just want to lay down and if l laid down then I would sleep and then when I would get up my band would be too tight to eat anything. It was terrible.

...Like wasabubble, I would be interested in learning what toxins were causing the illness, what were the presenting symptoms, how it was diagnosed, and what the treatment plan was.

Well, we've asked three times since before the 14th when the OP was last on line and no answer what the diagnostics were or the results. I have a hunch we aren't going to get that answer.

Maybe the original poster just wanted to vent or offer some wisdom based on her own experience, and is way past having her condition re-analyzed by other people, or explaining her conclusions, diagnosis, treatment plan. Maybe she didn't want any help or medical advice.