Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric surgery causes alcoholism?

This may really sound dumb but here it goes.

My boss hates the concept of bariatric surgery. She insists it causes someone to become an alcoholic. I really don't think this is true. I know her sister in law that had gastric bypass is an alcoholic but honestly don't think the surgery caused it alcoholism runs in her husbands family. Did anyone else hear of something like this?

Oprah did a show years ago when gastric bypass was becoming popular. Many individuals failed to work the mental health part and transfered their food addiction to alcohol. It in no way says that it is definitive that WLS causes alcoholism.

I'm pre-surgery, and don't think I know it all -- that's for sure, but I agree with the last post by Shiloh0772 about the Oprah show. Alcohol use is highly discouraged by surgeons (from what I learned in the patient education class). Smokers are also advised or required to quit smoking prior to and after surgery to avoid complications. Besides, when you want to improve your appearance and health by having gastric surgery, why would you want to mess things up by getting addicted to alcohol or drugs.

People who drank before (especially those with alcoholism, admitted or not to their surgeon) and people who trade their food addictions for alcohol because of depression (or any other reason) are just harming themselves and risking complications.

That's why support groups here and thru the various surgery clinics, and even some support groups elsewhere are so important, but it's up to the individual gastric surgery patient to reach out for help. It's also a factor I'm sure in why the Surgery Centers make you go thru a psychological evaluation before surgery.

I have a really nice psychologist at the Bariatric Center of Kansas City that I not only saw for the psych evaluation, but also for continuing care pre-operatively and plan to have sessions post-operatively as needed.

Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol causes alcoholism. -_-

It is a serious risk, addiction transference is a real risk post WLS. I personally know someone who DIED in her 40s after losing weight post bypass due to alcoholism. She was type 1 diabetic, got uber skinny, went off the rails so to speak (left her hubby and kids) and died an unemployed alcoholic.

However, most people don't do this. Let's say it happens to 5 percent (I made that up do not know the stats) it is all part of the calculated risk. I had 100 percent chance of early disability and premature death without surgery with a BMI over 50..

If you think you are at risk, freaking don't drink at all. I choose to socially drink but have rules/boundaries around it just like I do with food.

When WLS post-op patients can no longer soothe their anxieties and other unpleasant emotions with food, they may transfer their food addiction to alcohol, sex, shopping, gambling, drugs, cigarettes, etc. I don't know how many people suffer transfer addictions. However, they're a very well known risk of WLS. But they are NOT guaranteed after WLS for the majority of patients.

But the risk is why most surgeons urge that new WLS patients don't drink for X period of time post-op. There are so many new behaviors and disciplines to work on post-op (which, if you groove them in strongly, actually WILL determine your long-term success) that you should avoid anything to derail your progress.

Some people do (and some don't) follow this advice. I think that most social drinkers start to drink occasionally post-op. Like CGJ said, most people do NOT become addicted.

FTR, I'm 7 weeks post-op today and have sampled alcohol twice since surgery: 1 oz. wine (at a party) and 1/2 ounce scotch (after dinner one night). I'm not sensing any urge to drink even as much as I did pre-op.

Transfer addiction is "a thing". It's real and it can happen. Statistics show that alcoholism rates are higher among WLS patients than in the general population, as is divorce and other things. It's an accepted truth. I'm not sure what the statistics are, but it's a risk, not a certainty. They tell us this so we can be knowledgeable about it, and act accordingly to mitigate the risk for ourselves.

I'm almost 2 years post op, and I don't drink any more than I did preop. I do shop more though - and while I'm not addicted, it is a fun pass time, and I do use it to avoid food. When I'm home all day with nothing to do, I want to eat, so I shop instead. Some people exercise, some people clean, and probably some don't do anything to distract themselves.

So, your boss is probably right about her sister in law, but that doesn't mean it will happen to you. What happens to you is up to YOU.

I switch from alcohol to coffee. After trying a few drinks post surgery I have found its just not for me. I enjoy sobiety.

The saying everyone is different is raining in my head. I am 4 1/2 yr post op RNY, but I am also 19 1/2 yr sober. I had lost a lot of weight before in 1986 I went down to 164lbs but I started to go out and have 'fun' because I looked so good. I remember how the weight came back on 2 fold because I changed from drinking to eating and at my highest weight before surgery was 334 lbs. Since I was 15 yrs sober at the time the thought of drinking is so not there, but it could be. My surgeon was concerned of my addictive behavior. Haven't had chocolate since 1986. Don't compare. Remember 1 drink to an RNY patient is really drinking 5 it hits us harder. Be careful.

I am nearly 3 years post op, and am maintaining an approx 160# loss. I guess you don't get to be the size of two full grown men without there being some "issues" involved, right?

Last summer, I was hooked on caffeine big time and was exercising alot. I made goal in Feb 2013 so you can imagine I was feeling like maintaining was a newborn baby that required alot of attention. I didn't exercise to an unhealthy amount, but my motivation was to burn off the anxiety I was feeling.. that is the unhealthy part. I think that when we contemplate our own behaviors, it is the emotions that drive it, and the impact on our lives that determine if it is healthy or not. I used to shop alot at discount stores etc but I didn't spend much and I could afford it. I wasn't addicted, it was more like I marveled that clothes actually looked good on me!!! IT was a novelty. Now, I am like "eh" not so interesting. I don't consider my little blip of being a regular visitor at Ross, TJ Maxx etc as an addiction, but rather a passing phase for me.

I have dialed back on both caffeine and exercise considerably... the word addiction means different things to different people so I hesitate to use it, but what I seek is balance and a fullfilling life. I am a work in process, but one of the things I "watch" is what to do with my excess energy.

Lately, I have been going to just being active, and less interested in doing boot camps, hard core spinning workouts and stuff. Like, I go dancing which is a bit of exercise AND social. IT makes me feel good, but it doesn't feel like I NEED to do it. When i come home from a night out listening to live music and dancing - which is probably 2-4 times a month (and having zero to 2 drinks depending on the situation and length of evening etc - I never drive buzzed so alot of factors) I feel GREAT. And I feel great the next day, it is like something is being fullfilled.

since getting to goal, i feel myself moving up the masloves needs triangle. Now that my basic needs of decent health and fitness is addressed, I seek more from life. I realize that cannot be filled from the outside, but rather from within and I see it as a current and future "area of work" for me.

I bet it is for many formerly obese people (and others too!).

Like i said, I am a work in process, but the truth of the matter is that once overeating and that protective layer of fat leaves you... you may find yourself trying to figure out what the "new you" is like. For me shedding fat exposed so much energy that it has been a bit much... but i am getting calmer, steadier and more at peace all the time.

I realize that this is the number one reason I regained weight when I was younger and got down to a slim weight. I would get very wound up... and just didn't know what to do with it. Being fat made me more sluggish and I guess "content" although that is a strange thought.

Anyway, it is good to be armed with information. Some people freak out in the first few months post weight loss - you hear them on this forum wailing over not being able to stuff themselves with food. It didn't really happen for me like that - I think I was oddly more emotionally wrapped up with the fat suit than I was with the food since my "issues" bubbled up more after I got to goal. I guess by the time I had WLS I was so "over" food as a friend, if you know what I mean.

Great post, CGJ.

Really great. And speaks to me, too.

19 1/2 yr sober - changed from drinking to eating

@@Paulajo24

congrats on you long period of sobriety (msp?)

drinking, smoking - then changing to food :blink:

all bad addictions :angry:

which is the worse of 3 evils???

i think we all know the right answer!!

4.5ears Post op RNy!!!

congrats on all your accomplishments :)

hope alll is well

@@Timmy2shirts

not a dumb question

as others have said some people can have cross addictions :(

sure this can happen :(

turning to drugs, alcohol et al

no stats from me about changing addictions, but i "think" the % is small

IMO your boss made yet another ignorant statement concerning WLS :angry:

many people don't understand the surgery

they say stupid things like "you took the easy way out"

try not to let let comments made from others bother you

good luck :)

Kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

It doesn't "cause" alcoholism! However, sometimes patients have been known to transfer their food addiction to some other forms of addiction including alcoholism, drugs, sex, shopping, gambling, etc. This is one of the biggies the Psych is looking for when they do the evaluation required for most of our surgeries. It's something we all need to be cognizant of for sure.