Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on June 4th, 2014. I started at 265, dropped weight before the surgery, and dropped over ten pounds the two weeks post op. I was so happy, so excited to see such a change so immediately. No one, not even my doctor, warned me about the months that follow surgery. I went in to the surgery with the idea that it would work from the get-go, and that my restriction combined with the will from pre-surgery would create an unstoppable momentum.

I was grossly misinformed.

I was allowed to eat more than creams and liquids around the end of June/beginning of July. With the lack of a fill, I was able to eat and drink any and everything. It was disheartening. I thought over and over again that I was one of the % of people who wouldn't see success with the LB. The emotional toll that it took was the hardest.

I had fill in June, July, and August. I was at 7 cc's and wasn't seeing any difference at all. My lifestyle, while I had been hopeful, had become even more sedentary and unhealthy the longer I went without seeing any change. I felt that the surgery was for naught. The TR ladies were helpful, but with gaining one to two pounds with every check-in, I went from 265, to 247, to 253 by September 26th.

I had my last fill the 26th, up to 7.5 cc's. I had liquids the first 24 hours, then went to regular foods. Immediately I felt a difference.I had gotten too used to eating too fast, too much, too quickly. Within minutes I was full--and could see that 7.5 cc's was the absolute perfect setting for me at the moment.

I'm down to 244 and at my lowest weight in two years. Bandster hell is real. It's hard. It's depressing. It's also something I wish friends and doctors would have told me about to prepare for. Here's to making it through the toughest 4 months, and being confident that things are going to work out :)

J

Awwww! So happy you are feeling on track now! Here's to losers !

Sorry you had to go

through bandsters hell so misinformed !! It would of helped if you had known what to expect !!!! But im glad to see you're on your way to Loserville !!! Hope all continues to go well ! Keep up the good work !!

Thank you for posting this. I'm a couple of weeks post op an I'm really having to watch what I put in my mouth! The scale isn't moving with getting an average of 1400 cal in daily. I look forward to some fills!

Thanks for sharing this, I was just banded yesterday, and I will keep this in mind over the next few months:)

Edited by MamaRita

Amen!

I think your experience may be why my surgeon had me on such a strict post op protocol. I was banded in March 2014. My regimen was six weeks of full liquids post op then a fill. At that fill I was told to eat 800 calories a day. It was not easy and most days I was around 1000. It took some discipline to stay compliant but I was lucky and I felt my band working pretty early on. Now at 6-1/2 months out and four fills I'm pretty sure I'm in the green. Most days it's easy to eat well. However if I choose the wrong foods or don't start a meal with solid Protein I can overdo it.

My surgeon gave me a folder with most of this information. I didn't get a chance to read it as my schnauzer son got hold of it. I had to learn much the same way all of the things we're supposed to learn. I experience easy days and hard days, the main objective is keep focus and not let yourself surrender to the "rut". As justwatchme says, follow the rules and it works. If wonder off the trail, I see it taking me places I don't want to be.

Thanks for sharing.... This is a journey like no other....

Thank you for all the support and love on this post :) Knowing there are so many behind me is a wonderful feeling :)

Hi.... I got banded on 6th Oct.... I started at 111.80 kilos and today am on liquids but amazingly am down to 104 kilos.... I think following the dietician strictly helps....

I had somewhat the same experience a couple of weeks, feeling there was no restriction 2 weeks after my 3rd fill. Now I have great restriction 4 weeks after the fill. I got help and fellow bandsters to stay the course and not forget the rules. I wish you all the best.