Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The beginning of my journey

Hi Folks,

I'm in the prerequisite 6 month process of my weight loss journey. I have multiple required appointments with doctors, hospitals, therapists and nutritionists. In addition to this requirements, a 6 month life coach. All this is required to get insurance to pay for the surgery and to be approved by my doctor for surgery. Also, I have to quit smoking or they won't do the surgery. I'm on day 5 of my quit and that seems to be going well. I want to heal properly from what I assume will be gastric bypass surgery.

There are many questions that I have about the process and to be honest with you, it's a bit overwhelming with all the criteria that must be met. I'm 49 years old and have been overweight for over 20 years and I have high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. I want to turn 50 with these problems behind me.

What initially concerns me is the negative feedback I've received from acquaintances/friends at work. It seems that many people think it's a horrible idea. However, my family and close friends think it's a great idea, due to my health issues. As a result of the negative feedback from various people, I've resided to NOT discuss the topic with them. Did anyone else experience this behavior? If so, what did you do about it?

Thanks,

Robin

Also, another concern I have is looking sickly upon drastic weight loss. Do you think it's a good idea to do weight training prior to surgery (intensely) to tone/build your muscles prior to (for lack of a better term) wasting? What has been your experience?

I'm also considering buying up boost and ensure food supplements (whenever on sale) in the six months prior to surgery. That stuff is expensive and I also want to get a bullet to make Protein shakes...I like the idea of having simple meals for a while, not having to cook or plan meals. Did anyone else stock up on these products, Vitamins included and if so, which kinds. question questions questions.....I'm loaded with them....please bare with me :) Any input will be appreciated.

Edited by RobinL123

I wouldn't recommend buying Protein Shakes to stock up for after surgery. There are important requirements your nutritionist will go over for bariatric Protein shakes. Make sure you are going to a nutritionist (NUT) associated with a bariatric practice or experienced in this field. Please do not go and see a random nutritionist. You can decide what doctor to go with at a later date, the NUT appointments will transfer as far as insurance is concerned. But many bariatric practices require that you see their own nutritionist. You see, different doctors have different approaches to diet both prior and after surgery. Each thinks theirs is the best and sometimes won't operate until you have received the proper training. The best would be to pick a doctor and go with the entire program based on your choice. Research takes time and there are no short cuts for most of us.

Oh, I forgot to mention. I have not told anyone besides my husband about my surgery.

This is your journey, your decision. Unless you need them for support this is not a surgery by "popular vote." This is about you and how you choose to take care of yourself. I know this surgery is not for everyone, it takes serious focus, the last thing you need is to have to care for everyone's emotional needs at this time. This is about YOU!

I also got negative feedback from most everyone including my mom the only family who knows. So I am doing it but only a few close friends know. I also thought about the muscles and weight training pre op and I am dedicating my next 30 days to weight training before surgery. I pray it helps!

It will, and it will make you feel better. It makes sense for your mother to worry, she loves you, it's her full time job to worry about you, right?

• Thanks for the input fellow supporters. I will try the weight training for sure....just to build some more muscle....unfortunately I have to run right now and won't have access to a computer again until Monday....So I'll check then for more feedback...

Again....thank you..

About 12 years ago I was just doing research only on the bypass surgery and all my family and friends gave me all the negative reasons why I shouldn't do it. Needless to say they succeeded in discouraging me from doing it at that time. So here I am 12 years later still needing the surgery only this time when I told my family and friends there words could'nt get to me because I've done more than enough research to make a sound decision FOR ME! Some still are negative about it but I am stronger now more than ever to give them all the positive benefits without wavering. The biggest change is that I have made up my mind and I fully understand the level of change and commitment necesary. Everyone wants the support from our loved ones and friends but unfortunately some aren't going to be on the same page as you. I just choose to hope eventually they will come around once they see how dedicated I am to being sucessful.

Best of wishes to you on your journey.

I also agree...don't buy a lot of Protein drinks ahead of time. Your tastes buds change and what you liked before surgery you may not like after.

Also as far as what people think about your surgery....I can say I have been very lucky! Everyone I have told has been extremely supportive. Especially after I have lost 53 lbs and how much it has helped my Firbromyalgia. They can also see how much better I feel with the weight loss. However, I would have done it even if everyone was against it. This is a personal decision and it should be your's and your's alone. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. You are the one who has to make the changes and live with your decision.

Do your research and make your decision wisely! But make it for you...not for anyone else...whatever the decision is!

So far I have been pretty open with a lot of people about my plans for gastric bypass surgery. I have yet to come across anyone who has anything negative to say. I have been lucky to receive support from those whom I have told. If someone was to react negatively I would not care. I put a lot of time and thought into making this decision, and I know it is the right one for me. Therefore, I would not be bothered or influenced by what anyone else has to say.

One of the first friends I told was not supportive - she kept saying, "you look great as you are! You're not even that big!" and I kept saying over and over - that I had high BP, high cholesterol, arthritis and now diabetes. After her reaction, I decided to tell less and less people. It's 8 weeks now and I still haven't put it on FB. I told people who I felt would be supportive. I'm sure others have found out, but I did not need to deal with defending my choices with all the prep and anxiety I had on my own already. It's your decision and you don't need anyone's negativity.

I am sort of glad I didn't work out hard before hand, because my recovery has been kind of long and there's been LOTS of couch sitting. I'm pretty sure I would have lost all the muscle I had anyway. I'm almost ready to get back to the gym now and have a long way to go because of all the sitting.

Yep. I just tell people that I am having a hiatal hernia repair. And that I am dieting during my six weeks off work. All true.

I don't need the extra judging. I have told 4 people at work and my boss.

I work at a hospital in a cardiac unit. I would rather have this surgery than the one I see on a daily basis.

Betty Boop, me too, I'm having an imaginary "hiatal hernia" repair as well. I have even started complaining about it for added effect and credibility. I am also considering having some complications with my repair which will need some laproscopy to be going on my tummy, thus the extra scars. Since eating will be difficult I'll lose a lot of weight. I'll get so happy about it, this will cause me to stick to "my diet" and I will lose some more. LOL.

Good Luck!

Sorry I do not want to share my surgery for now. Maybe later, maybe never.

I am also going through the 6 month pre-surgery requirements & I had alot of questions and concerns. My advice to you is to do as much research as you can. The drs, nutritionists, etc. that you will see and the classes & evaluations that you will be involved in will help to answer alot of your questions. Also, joining this forum is such a great learning tool. I, too was going to stock up on Protein shakes, etc. Am I ever glad I didn't. The wonderful, experienced people on this forum are experienced and have given good advice on probably anything you need help with regarding WLS.

Good luck and hang in there.....questions will be answered!

Choosing to have WLS is a very personal thing. I think if you are not comfortable telling people then it is ok to keep it to yourself.

Well Beni our personal journey is personal. About 10 people know. Probably 8 more than necessary. But my son will only be here for 3-4 days after surgery and I will need some help.

But remember, most people are not going to be checking out your belly for a long while and by then the scars will be small.

Yep, I will be on a "liquid" diet for that six weeks I am off - then diet once returning g to work.

Like you day... Maybe someday or maybe never will people know.

We are getting and using g a tool and we really are going on a life diet and exercise program. Really.

8 days to go ... Whew! Just picked up my prehospital mess and post hospital meds. $50.