Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need VSG Veteran Input

Hello all.. I've had a few issues the past couple days and am looking to see if it's happened to anyone else.. I'm calling my surgeon tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone on here could provide feedback.. So here's what happened....

I'm 8 days post op and my surgeon allows soft food as tolerated at this stage. Last night I ate a few pieces of avocado and because I was excited about it I didn't chew enough and it made me really sick. I threw up about 5 minutes later.. And got my first case of the slimies. I had it for about 4 hours and spit about a cup of saliva. Meanwhile my stomach was making horrible noises and had pressure in my esophagus. Then I made myself throw up again... This time a piece of avocado came up and the slimies subsided. The whole time I was sipping Water since I knew it was going to be dehydrating. Finally was able to fall asleep. Then this morning woke up feeling good.. Ate a bit of blended chicken Soup (everything was pulverized) and got the same pressure and slimies... Threw it up. Then was able to sip on Water had pressure and gurgling but no vomit with water. Then tried to drink a premier Protein drink but couldn't keep it down. I haven't gotten sick since then but every time I try to sip broth or drink Fluid I get the same pressure and stomach noises. I'm worried about keeping things down. Prior to last night, everything has been so great... Now I'm concerned :( Has anyone experienced these chain of events?

Not exactly, but I got cream of wheat stuck and had major slimies at that stage. You may be rushing the soft foods too soon. Don't think I tried avocado until I was 2 or 3 months post-op. Go back to Clear Liquids for a day or so but do call your surgeon tomorrow and tell them about it. In general try to avoid throwing up. If you feel like something is stuck do not make yourself throw up. It's very unpleasant and will hurt but it will go down eventually. If that happens and you are sliming and have bad indigestion try walking around and keep moving as much as you can. That helps your body digest the food and move it thru. I had this happen several times til I was about 6 months post-op. I still make the occasional error in judgement about how much I can comfortably eat and I often eat too fast. I'll be workin on that for the rest of my life! Hope you're feeling better tomorrow.

As for the types of foods you can eat, Just because your surgeon says you can do it, doesn't mean you can. Everyone heals at different rates. I was on full liquids for 3 weeks and it was still hard at that point to eat puréed food. It was closer to 5 weeks before I tried anything that required chewing.

Definitely talk to your surgeon. It is concerning that you can't keep down liquids now, Maybe the avocado/puking incident caused additional swelling that is creating a bit of a stricture. Good luck. Keep us posted.

The weird this is.. Until I ate the avocado I was eating mushy food just fine without any discomfort.. I was thinking my stomach may have been inflamed like you said. Thankfully, after I wrote this post I had some Greek yogurt and was just fine.. Also downed a good bit of water... So now I feel hydrated again. I will certainly be touching base with the surgeon though. Thank you for your input!!!

You know there is a quite nasty stomach flu going around..... my coworker, his wife, my grandchildren and my son all had it. Basically you puke everything for a couple days then it goes away.. just saying it might be....

Some mushy foods just don't go down and digest the same. The fat content in the avocado may have been too high too soon. Good luck to you.

I still have issues with baked sweet potatoes and I'm 20 months out.

Thanks everyone! I spoke to my surgeon and we agreed that since I hadn't chewed well enough it irritated my sleeve when I vomited enough that it swelled shut so to speak and when the inflammation went down I was able to get food down again! Crazy but makes sense. He said it's not uncommon this early out but that in time food will pass easier and easier.

I'm amazed at how soon some doctors allow solid foods. The stomach is still healing; edema (swelling) is still present at 8 days (and in that second week), etc. food particles can get trapped in the stapled area, etc. but... Hope you feel better soon.

(I need to email Alex screen shots of BP on my iPad. Since the "new" app, I cannot see anything like before and, hence, have been unable to see folks' messages.) hope everyone is doing well and looking good!

You might want to go back to liquids for a few days to let your system recover a bit ... Bouillon was my best friend. Warm and soothing. It sounds like your body wants you to slow it down.