Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain before surgery

Hey guy,

Glad to have found this forum. I have my date scheduled for the 10th of Feb and I'm wondering how much weight people gained before going on the pre op diet. I am definetly saying "goodbye" to some foods, pizza specifically.

Did anyone else have a farewell tour?

There was 6 months between the doctors recommending me for surgery and my first official visit with my surgeon in that time I gained about 20lbs probably because I knew it was my last chance to be "bad" lol but then the doctor set goals so I couldn't eat all that rubbish .... But anyway good luck & remember the more you loose before surgery the better the results will be after it , I only wish I had been told that before my surgery :)

I had a food funeral before I went on my pre-op diet. I never felt that it was a mistake although believe it or not you will be able to eat everything after your surgery only in smaller amounts. So for me it turned out to be a worry that I did not need to worry about.

There are things that have changed like I find different foods more to my taste then say Pasta. I eat differently because that is what my body wants now. I love fish, okay I am in love with fish. Can't get enough. Before surgery. Rarely ate anything but Salmon. Now the sea is my Oyster! You may find this happening to you.

Try not to gain to much because you will have to lose that after along with the rest. Also the lighter you are the less complications possibly.

Now is a good time to learn to train yourself and get off of some of the sugar or fatty foods and try to eat healthier. Remember this is a life changer. No time like the present to start the journey. :)

I also had a six month program pre surgery which I felt helped me get my arms around this entire process. I lost 42 pounds during that time.

That being said, I did have a food funeral. I have been smoking foods for a few years as a hobby and really enjoy BBQ. Because it is not the kind of vacation I would do now, My wife and I took a road. We flew to Kansas City and did a grand tour through KC, St Louis, Kentucky, Nashville and Memphis stopping at every BBQ joint along the way. It was great but it was truly was a funeral. I can still have BBQ, and still love to cook it, but not in the amounts I did previously

Macman knows how to have a true food funeral!! Lol!! I'm in KC, and made my fair amount of trips to Gates and Jack Stack before I closed the coffin lid! I am a realist and am keeping my goal in sight. I'm exceeding more. I have learned to have a bite of something (even though I'm 12 days post op) and be finished versus eating more than I should. Less frequency and in moderation are my guidelines.

I guess I said good bye to some foods before hitting the program hard. to date, this has been the longest I have gone with out a bourbon, pizza, burger in a long ass time and I LOVE Bourbon. I am almost 3 weeks out and really don't miss that stuff too much right now. I am more focused on shredding pounds. when you start dropping it keeps you motivated. in my time before the pre-op diet, I ended up losing a few pounds while saying goodbye to all that junk food.

Rovobay

I too enjoy a bourbon on occasion. You will hear differing comments about alcohol and weather you should or should not partake. It is a personal decision. I waited about 4 months to have a drink. I agree with the focus on weight loss and getting your head in a great place to do this, especially early in the process. But I happen to feel that an occasional drink ( one every couple weeks) is not going to mess me up. I can say that being at goal weight, 9 months post op.

I said some quick goodbyes but kicked it into high gear eventually. The liver-shrinking issue had me a bit spooked. My liver has some miles on it, and I could picture it in a dank dive bar, white-haired and wide-eyed telling harrowing tails of the horrors it saw on the battlefield to a room full of other livers hanging on its every word. Decided that it could use all the help it could get.

So, I feel better after reading this. My wife and I are getting sleeves done in December. And for about a month now, we have been eating things that we haven't had in ages, even went to Cracker Barrel the other morning after our last medical visit for country fried steak and eggs for a late Breakfast, with biscuits, gravy, butter...OMG. so, b this is a normal phase? Trying to control it now but planning a big bloe out for the night before pre surgery liquid diet stsrts

Totally a normal phase , to eat a bit of junk and your favourite things before you start the liquid diet remember while you are doing this for your health etc etc after surgery is really hard & even 6 months out I am still struggling with food and there are days I just wish I could eat a big meal :-) so yeah don't feel too bad about a little splurge before the diet starts

Had several food funerals! Had a checklist of foods to feast on before pre-liquid diet! Accomplished most of them. Didn't really gain anything since I did exercise while splurging...but I'm not even interested in some of those foods now! Completely normal.