Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol intake

Almost forgot.. It hasn't messed with my weight loss either. I'm down 70 something lbs an only been sleeved 4 months..

Surgery weight 296

CW 224

Start size 22/24

Current size 14/16

Edited by Krystal0528

My dr said to wait 9 months to a year but that the main reason was because of alcoholism. He said that most wls patients take comfort on certain foods an of course by eating them, an after surgery an literally NOT being able to have them that ppl substitute there go to. So basically when ur having a hard time dealing with something or having bad day.. Instead of munching on snack they find comfort in drinking alcoholic beverages an become an alcoholic.

Your Doctor said you would become an Alcoholic????? Sorry but that stikes a nerve... I can understand substituting alchohol for comfort food but that doesn't make one an Alcoholic anymore that eating a cookie makes you a cookie monster!

I had my sleeve 9-2, and yes I've had a few drinks since. Unlike everyone else it seems, I am not any more sensitive to alcohol than I was before. I like to occasionally have some light cranberry juice with vodka, and my stomach seems just fine. And I'm still losing. I think it is hooey to say if you drink, you will not lose weight. Calories in, calories out. Alcohol doesn't have super calories that defy physiology. They are empty calories, sure. Alcohol may impair your judgment about food choices, yep. But I've seen no credible evidence that drinking alcohol will stall weight loss, all calorie intake being equal. I'm obviously not saying go against what your surgeon says, this is just my experience.

Thanks that's what I heard from other friends! I'm not worried about being an alcoholic so I can deal w it just want to lose weight and still have a life! Because I'm changing!!

So I drank on my 6 mth anniversary. First time. I'm usually sugar free but decide to have some sugary drinks. I was giggling haha but surprisingly didn't get drunk and we were downing shots of tequila rose (which tastes like shit post-op) pretty well. I started to get a headache during the drinking. The next 3-4 days I was so sick I couldn't eat or drink, my head and stomach hated me. No more of that. I have however a couple of times had a very tiny glass of red wine with no problems.

I was sleeved on 9/23, I have had a glass or two of wine since then. I haven't noticed the flavor has changed but I did notice I drank slowly.. very slowly, a 4 oz glass lasted about 90 mins which is fine.

I drink dry red wine or dry whites so they were not sweet at all. I haven't really noticed that flavors have changed but I haven't tried anything sweet or fried and I don't mind missing out on those. We collect wine and have about 200 bottles plus sitting in the house with our fall wine club wine deliveries coming in right now ;-)

I was banded for a long time and I knew a lot of RNY patients, I noticed more with the RNY where the intestines were changed that patients felt the effects of alcohol faster and some patients did trade a food addiction for a booze addiction.

I think if you deal with your food issues you will be ok with booze but it is empty calories!

I had a long island ice tea. It use to take four from my favorite restaurant to get a buzz. However, after one I was feeling fine at 9 weeks post-op. I will have one more at 12 weeks on Friday. Lol But you have to set limits. Know your body and mind. Be careful!

I was sleeved in July and I have drank 4xs since mid September and I'm still loosing! Oh and It hasn't made me an alcoholic so that's a plus!! I drink vodka with Water and squeeze the flavored drops in it. My favorites are strawberry lemonade or fruit punch. I do feel the effects a little quicker but not much of a difference in my overall tolerance since before the surgery.

Your Doctor said you would become an Alcoholic????? Sorry but that stikes a nerve... I can understand substituting alchohol for comfort food but that doesn't make one an Alcoholic anymore that eating a cookie makes you a cookie monster!

Let me rephrase this a little... Because my doctor didn't just say, "You will become an alcoholic." He was basically giving me facts, about how most of us have an addiction an it's food, that's our comfort an go to. When we can't have certain thing we try to replace them with sonething else.. Like alcohol. Statistics show that 34% of wls patients that drink to early after surgery continue to keep drinking more than they had prior to surgery, an 15% end up doing rehabilitation programs for alcohol instead of over eating. He basically was giving me facts an letting me know the statistics of what others have gone through. I have been looking for these statistics online to post link but I can't seem to find.... Sooooo idk if dr was pulling my leg or not, but to be honest I really dnt care. It's not a crime to have a drink every now an then, so I will continue.

#BottomsUp

I was banded for 12 years and in those 12 years I got to know a lot of WLS patients and I think his stats are probably true. I think if you are predisposed to an addictive personality you have a higher risk of being addicted to something regardless. I have alcoholics in my family so I am cautious with booze. I drink, but I moderate heavily and always have it is nothing for me to go to a bar and not drink or stop drinking for dry January to cleanse post party season. I never want to lose control of my drinking and make it a need not a like.

I respect your surgeon for warning you about booze.

I do know people who have gone nuts with booze the other area I have seen people struggle with is interpersonal relationships/romantic relationships especially women. All the sudden they look fantastic and men start paying attention to them and they loose their minds, I have seen a lot of marriages break up. Women who have been obese for a long time aren't trained to deal with the flattery and attention and it overwhelms them and goes straight to their heads and not in a good way.

Booze, specifically whiskey, is likely the leading cause of me getting to my highest weight. I am proud to say that I have not had a sip of booze in over 2 months. That is the longest it has been in over 15 years!!! not too tempted but the thought still sits in the back of my mind. I know I will drink again, but I won't let it control me. (I am only 6 weeks post-op)

I drank alcohol 4 weeks after surgery and still do every week or two. No problems. It's all liquor...no beer....no carbs.

I have had wine a few time ! I don't have the desire! Just don't want to stop losing weight! So my journey continues! Any reply let me know about drinking wine

I used to drink massive amounts of alcohol in college 30 yrs ago, so after my maturity hit I maybe had a beer or two every few weeks or wine with my dinner like maybe once every few months, if I went out with friends I nursed 1 mixed drink all night, so I am missing u occasional beer or wine, I'm just confused as to whether I can or can't have it, there are too many theories and not enough research to go either way, I don't drink anywhere near I used to in my youth, but I wanted to take my wife to a vineyard near where we live and enjoy some wine tasting and lunch, and on the 4th I was craving my favorite beer, the only constants I find in any information available had to do with the sugars, and alcohol absorption in the body, has anyone asked their DR. ????