Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rosie O’Donnell Makes Hurtful Comments About the Lap-Band on “The View”

You can join in on my convo with Rosie at https://twitter.com/Rosie/status/515475737269510144

Alex, it says the thread no longer exists?? Is that a broken link, or has good old Rosie pulled the plug?

no debate here which WLS is better

i had the sleeve and i'm very happy these past 2.5 years

that being said......

any WLS people choose for themselves is great

lap band, gastric bypass or sleeve or whatever else

i do watch the view and i do like Rosie

but...........when she made those remarks about the band, my mouth dropped in disbelief!! :huh:

that was an irrresponsible, outrageous thing to say :angry:

its one thing for people to "disagree" other WLS (which they shouldn't do) but the way she said it was awful, very disrespectful etc etc

regardless of any apology that "might" be said on the View - the damage has been done :(

Rosie screwed up :angry:

10 whips with a wet noodle!!!! ;)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Link still works. Rosie isn't saying much...

I added the actual video clip of Rosie on The View to my original post.

Link still works. Rosie isn't saying much...

Yep.... crickets... she doesn't seem to have much to say off camera.

It could be worse, Roseanne Barr could join the cast.

And may God have mercy on us all if the day ever arrives, could you imagine?!

On Wednesday, ABC’s “The View” included a tactless segment for weight loss surgery patients. In it, Rosie O’Donnell said that she disagreed with New Jersey Governor Chris Christie’s choice to get the laparoscopic adjustable gastric band (lap-band), calling it an “inefficient” way to lose weight. You can watch the segment here:

Ms. O’Donnell herself is a gastric sleeve patient who had struggled with her weight throughout her professional life. She got the procedure done in July of 2013, and has since lost about 50 pounds.

Upsetting Effects of Ms. O’Donnell’s Words

Ms. O’Donnell not only insulted Governor Christie, but also every lap-band patient. She stated outright that the lap-band has a 50 percent rate of removal, and is an inefficient way to lose weight. She strongly implied that anyone who gets the lap-band chooses to do so because they haven’t done enough research.

This kind of divisiveness between weight loss surgery patients is harmful to everyone who is affected by obesity. Weight loss surgery can literally save lives and give people back their quality of life. It can be the only way to lose weight for many people. The only way to improve weight loss surgery outcomes and acceptance is to provide a unified front. When someone like Ms. O’Donnell bashes lap-band surgery, it only adds to the public’s general misconception of weight loss surgery as a foolish choice.

The Lap-Band Is a Good Choice for Many

The gastric sleeve is the right choice for some weight loss surgery patients, and it may have been the right choice for Ms. O’Donnell. For other patients, the lap-band is the right choice – and, in contrast to Ms. O’Donnell’s accusations, they can arrive at that decision after careful research. They may be hesitant to permanently remove most of the stomach, as in the gastric sleeve, and may value the ability to adjust their bands.

There’s no shortage of evidence that the lap-band can work. In fact, it may even be working for Governor Christie! He will not publicly discuss specific numbers, but he’s clearly lost weight since getting the lap-band in February of 2013. Rumor has it he’s down 85 pounds, but he hasn’t confirmed this amount.

A Better Choice of Words

Ms. O’Donnell is certainly entitled to her opinion, but it doesn’t seem necessary for an influential celebrity to insult all lap-band patients in front of millions of viewers on national television.

• She could easily have praised the gastric sleeve and all that it has done for her without bashing the lap-band.
  • She could have discussed why she chose the sleeve over the lap-band and gastric bypass.
  • She could have praised Governor Christie for his weight loss without insulting his choice of weight loss surgery.

How Can “The View” Make Amends?

“The View” could have handled the situation a little differently. The show could have done something as simple as asking Ms. O’Donnell for evidence for her claims. For example, where did she learn that half of all lap-bands are removed? That flies in the face of what patients learn from their surgeons, who spend years studying the lap-band and other types of weight loss surgery.

There’s still time to make amends and show weight loss surgery patients some respect. “The View” could dedicate a segment of a future show to discussing weight loss surgery more accurately. Any number of bariatric surgeons and allied health professionals could serve as credible guests in an informative interview.

Make Your Voice Heard!

What you think matters to Hollywood celebrities and TV shows. Their success depends on your approval and continued support. If you want to weigh in on how you feel about Ms. O’Donnell’s insensitive comment about the lap-band, why not tell her and “The View” what you’re thinking? You can tweet them at @ @Rosie and @theviewTV to explain how hurtful her words were. They’re on Facebook at https://www.facebook...DonnellOfficial and https://www.facebook.com/TheView.

Ms. O’Donnell may benefit from learning that the lap-band is a good choice for some weight loss surgery patients, and “The View” may learn that the show needs to take responsibility for presenting a more accurate picture of this – and any other – sensitive topic.

Click here to view the article

I just don't like her...never did and never will. I don't even know why the heck they hired her back? Ughh and for the rest of them...ugghh! The took the table away..ugghh. The View is doomed unless they do something about it. So for her say something so inadequate, insensitive she should keep her mouth shut. I hope the higher ups had a talk with her. I just hope she leaves.......

And may God have mercy on us all if the day ever arrives, could you imagine?!

LOL!

Well ... going into Pollyanna mode here ... maybe the uproar will result in much more discussion on The View (and elsewhere) about WLS that will produce a better educated general public and more interest in WLS by future WLS patients.

The great thing about "dialogue" on any subject is that it is never over. We just get to keep talking, thinking and learning.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

Jessi-- back that up with facts. Any elective medical procedure with the failure rate you claim would not be practiced. No doctor needs that failure rate, nor the risk of dealing will a sullied reputation. So, show us facts for lap band failure rates for procedures--excluding the archaic 4 CC band which is no longer used in the US. Surgical techniques have also improved. Your research?? I suggest it is flawed, and myopic.

My doctor and the whole surgical group no longer recommend lapbands. One of the older doctors will not perform them anymore. It would be good to analyze how many lap bands are perform in "centers of excellence" and other similar reputable facilities vs how many are done in side of the freeway advertised clinics.

My question is how Rosie only claims to have lost 50lbs. Is it because she doesn't want to admit what her highest weight is?

My doctor is in a "Circle of Excellence." I wanted a sleeve, he strongly recommended the band based on my age, health and on his experience. My wife wanted a band, and because of some medications she had to take, he advised her to have the sleeve.

The band works... if someone goes to a "freeway clinic" and has problems, the fault most likely lies with the surgical group, and not the procedure.

Edited by labwalker

Amen! Exactly!!

I totally Agree with the assessment of Mrs. O'Donnell.. She is a crazy witch who is always running her pie hole about something she knows nothing about. As for the View what a insult to or intelligence.. None of these women are smart enough to give advice to anyone. My band and I are totally happy, Thank You very Much Rosie...

Ummmmm....can we just talk about the fact that everything she said is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!?!? As someone who HAS done my research and has lived in the WLS world for quite some time now, she's correct. Half of lapbands ARE in fact removed, and the long term success rates of lapband are much less than that of gastric sleeve or RNY. Everyone is so freaking quick to get insulted these days and I wish you would just stop it already. She spoke her opinion, which by the way was riddled with fact after fact, and you guys all get your panties in a wad? Grow UP already.

#anywhoareyoubutaskilledtrainedsurgeon.calmdown

Now Star Jones tho she denied it, she is super thin last time I saw her

Edited by kyrickchick64