Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Devastated :(

Well I was ready to submit for insurance approval next week and get my surgery date scheduled and I just found out today that my surgeon just up and left and went to Russia. I work for the hospital and he was the only bariatric surgeon there, so now I don't have a surgeon to do my surgery. I can't go to another hospital because I can't afford it. I was going to be able to get it done through the hospital I work at for free. I'm heartbroken and it could take months to a year for the hospital to bring in a new surgeon. I feel like all my hopes and dreams just got shattered. I put in all the time and work to meet my pre op requirements.

Ok, so take a very deep breath. You did? Good. Now don't give up yet. Months could mean just that. Two, three, etc. Sometimes we have to look at things that happen, that go against what we want, and tell ourselves there much be a reason why. So your insurance can only be used at your hospital? Also, there has to be others waiting to have the surgery along with you. Hospitals are in the business of making money. It would be in their best interest to recruit and hire a new surgeon as soon as possible. These things happen. Please hang in there. Best.

That really sucks. I am so sorry. I didn't have a surgeon problem it was the metal health guy. He cancelled on 4x and the last time was the day before my surgery. I was the first person ever to have surgery done without a psych eval by my surgeon. Hang in there things have to get better.

I can go elsewhere but I work at the hospital and it was going to be free to do it there. If I go elsewhere I will be subject to my $6000 out of network deductible and 20% co insurance. I can't afford to do it that way.

:( I feel so bad for you!

I'm so sorry, I know that broke your heart. I pray that it all works out and they hire a replacement quickly.

I just need a lot of prayer right now cuz I don't want this to send me into a dark depression. I have been miserable for years about my weight and I was actually seeing the light at the end of the tunnel anticipating the surgery.

I can't believe that there is only 1 hospital in your insurance's network that does this. Might want to give your insurance a call and ask them. If there is another that you can go to because of what happened. They may allow it.

I'm not sure if you have some kind of 401-k or Roth IRA etc, but they usually have 3 reasons you can draw from them w/o getting a penalty. One is for medical reasons, you might be able to draw from it, I don't know if you would have to pay it back or not. They would have to advise you on this.

I learned a long time ago, "everything happens for a reason" sometimes it just takes awhile to find out what the reason was. The fact that your surgeon and office staff left so quickly is kind of scary.

You have come this far, and you will make it to the other side, sooner as opposed to later!

perhaps you can call your insurance provider, tell them what is happening, ask them if they cover another bariatric program since this one is temporarily unavailable, and also ask your hospital public access manager what is their plan for substitute care. this is very unusual and strange, so maybe it is way better for you to be safe in the care of another. I cant think of when I have ever heard of a doctor running away like that, but I sure wouldnt want that person doing surgery on me! let us know what happens, and just know this confirmed to you that you are really ready to do this. love, sara, rn ....deep breath....

Are you kidding me?? I was reading your post with my jaw hitting the floor. I still don't believe it.

U are going to get thru this.

I'm gonna pm ya.

Talk to ya soon hun

I kinda new something was up when I stopped getting responses to my emails from the surgeons coordinator. No one even called to tell me he left. I only found out because I called the office today to talk to the coordinator.

I just need a lot of prayer right now cuz I don't want this to send me into a dark depression. I have been miserable for years about my weight and I was actually seeing the light at the end of the tunnel anticipating the surgery.

You'll get through this. I'll be praying for you!!

Don't most hospitals need gastrointestinal surgeons? Do you think they'll bring in someone to cover until they hire a permanent replacement? I can appreciate it's a hard blow to you, but maybe let this shake out a little before losing hope. Hang in there and keep talking to us, we'll keep your spirits up until your solution comes to you.