Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded in Monterrey by Dr. Sanchez (now deceased). I found the entire experience to exceed my expectations. The surgery was smooth, the hospital top notch, the recovery fine. Many of the doctors in Mexico are much more experienced with the surgery, just do your research on the doctor and facility first, and be 100% certain you have aftercare. Some U.S. docs wont provide aftercare to Mexican banded patients.

:help: Looking into getting my band placed in Mexico....the few people that i have told that i am going to do this have voiced concern about infection. Can anyone tell me what the hospitals and Doctors are like there?;) :help:

It really depends on the Doctor. I've heard some facilities in Mexico are as nice or nicer than those in the states. Mine, however, wasn't! I should have called off the surgery when I realized the pics of the hospital on their website were fakes. (but we do stupid things when we are determined and desperate)

As far as the dr goes...I felt as though I was dropped off on the curb right after I was banded. Of course I got an infection, and had a horrible time finding a Dr in the states to accept me as a patient.

I'm not saying to not go to Mexico, just please do EXTENSIVE research to ensure you don't have a situation similar to mine!

GOOD LUCK!

I had a great experience in Mexico and the facility was very clean. I was treated very well and did not get any type of infection. The thing is if you live really far from your Dr. and you do have any complications or infections you have to find a local Dr. that will agree to treat you. That is the risk of having it done in Mexico.

Nataliesmom.......what Dr. did you go to in Mexico? I am curious to know who it was that treated you so poorly?

I would try to find a Dr. that is local to do your fills and follow up before you have the band put in. I have had two fills done by my Dr. Ramos Kelly and he always takes very good care of me. Dr. Ortiz is very popular on this site and have never seen anyone say anything negative about him. Just make sure you do a lot of research on the Dr. you pick and if your not too far come visit them and see there medical facility to make your decision.

Good luck!!!

Nataliesmom.......what Dr. did you go to in Mexico? I am curious to know who it was that treated you so poor?

Dr. Lopez Dominguez with Betancourt Medical in TJ.

Important lesson learned the hard way!

I'm glad you had a good experience! I've heard a lot of good things about Dr. Ortiz.

I actually went to Dr. Ramos Kelly at Obesity Busters and he is a great Dr. What kind of infection did you get and how did you get it treated? Did you have to pay for treatment out of pocket?

I actually went to Dr. Ramos Kelly at Obesity Busters and he is a great Dr. What kind of infection did you get and how did you get it treated? Did you have to pay for treatment out of pocket?

Oh, I'm sorry I misread your post.

I have a port infection that turned into pseudomonas. My American Dr immediately admitted me into the hospital for a week on IV antibiotics. Since then, she's also attempted going back in cleaning out the port area, all w/ no luck. She was going to replace the port itself, but when she opened me up...low and behold... the band was not compatible w/ United States bands. So, now the only other option is band removal (which will have to wait until October after my baby is born!)

And yes... this has all been out of pocket. In the beginning I had medical insurance, but soon after lost my job due to all the complications. My medical bills are through the roof, and I'm still facing the cost of removal.

So...that's my sob story! lol

The good news is - I have a wonderful Dr that took me on as a patient when she really didn't have to.

Hopefully others can learn from my mistakes!

Hello. Look up www.bajanor.com. This where I went. I was referred there by someone that works at a doctor's office where my mom works. She couldn't afford the surgery here in the states, and her insurance wouldn't cover it. We were in the same boat, and decided to go there. I had my band placed on April 19, and my husband did it too. Neither of us have had any complications.

All that and you are pregnant!!! OH MY GOSH!!! How scary has that been!! The port infection in your body does not effect the baby? I am so sorry that you had to go threw with all of that. Your original Dr. that put the band in wouldn't reimburse any of the funds you have had to face? That is just so awful! I hope that you have a wonderful healthy baby and that you can get the band removed safely. Has it been hard to eat at all? I know one of the girls on my November bandsters page just had her band removed because her stomach totally shut down because it was just rejecting it. She has been in the hospital 4 times in the last two months because she couldn't even get liquids down and they finally just took it out.

Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgot to mention that they have the US approved Inamed brand band. Johnson and Johnson is also to be approved next month. That is the band we got. Not getting a US band is risky for that reason. So sorry to hear of your situation. That is what I was afraid of. In the meantime, we plan to fly back down there for adjustments. Unless we can find something in Canada. It is only 2 hours away, and much more convenient.

All that and you are pregnant!!! OH MY GOSH!!! How scary has that been!! The port infection in your body does not effect the baby? I am so sorry that you had to go threw with all of that. Your original Dr. that put the band in wouldn't reimburse any of the funds you have had to face? That is just so awful! I hope that you have a wonderful healthy baby and that you can get the band removed safely. Has it been hard to eat at all? I know one of the girls on my November bandsters page just had her band removed because her stomach totally shut down because it was just rejecting it. She has been in the hospital 4 times in the last two months because she couldn't even get liquids down and they finally just took it out.

Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes! My situation has gotten more and more complicated! I have no clue if the infection will effect the baby or not, and I worry about it daily. My lap band dr took me off the oral antibiotics, and said any future treatment will have to wait until after he/she is here.

I have an appointment set, but haven't had my first OB visit yet. That poor doc is going to be bogged down w/ questions and concerns. He'll probably regret taking me on as a patient. lol

Suffering consequences of your own actions is one thing, but to think that my baby may suffer is devestating. But I have strong faith in the Lord which has been so very helpful.

Thank you for your concerns and well wishes ;)

Go to Ready4Achange.com, thats where I went and it was fabulous. Dr. Sanchez done my surgery and now his partner is doing them since his untimely death. They are fabulous and have done more bands that most anyone in the world. They have proctored so many US doctors. He's done over 7000 and charges 8500.00 for absolutely everything. That includes all of your transportation while your there your stay, meds, and your food for yourself. They are great and do surgery out of a state of the art hospital with full trauma and icu unit. It's not a clinic. Go to they're website or pm me if you have any questions. They guarantee theyre bands if you was to have trouble they fix for free and they set up your aftercare for you here in the states if you don't want the free fills for life there. I've not had one problems. I would go back there in a heartbeat.

i was banded in mx by Dr. Ortiz. whereas the staff was perfectly nice, the clinic clean and shiny, going to mx is not the funnest thing ever. i failed to consider things like crossing the border every time i need a fill. it has proven to be a HUGE PAIN in my huge behind. also, after the surgery i really felt sort of... left alone to drift. no follow up care, etc. i don't regret the level of care i received and i very much enjoyed the beautiful hotel.

so, the moral of my lil story is think of afterwards. do you have somewhere to go if you have complications? what about fills?

those are the 2 things i wish someone mentioned to me before!

good luck!!!

What does anyone know about how to find out if a doctor is properly licensed and if they are a good one to choose? Looking into Mexico, but very afraid.

go to Ready4Achange.com and it lists the credentials of Dr. Zapata (that's who's doing my surgery on June 7th). He worked with Dr. Sanchez until Dr. Sanchez's untimely death (he did my mom's surgery in aug '06) and she loved him. They've done more lap bands than anyone and has proctored several american doctors in the procedure. it also shows pictures of the hospital and the hotel you're placed in. the whole procedure costs $7500 plus airfare. i think you will be pleased. let me know what you decide.

So you really like the place??? That is who I am thinking of going with. That price includes airfair? For how many?? Just me? I wonder what it will cost to fly my mom with me as my husband doesn't have a passport...How long did it take to get your surgery scheduled (basically from the time you talked to them how long till' your surgery?) How do you do a pre-op visit consult like I would have here if I went to the dr in the states?