Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications....so broken and sadden

I had a similar experience with a 9cm abcess. I went into kidney failure and nearly died. I went through hell this summer and after 7 months my leak didn't heal and I had a total gastrectomy. It was tough to go through but now that I am on the other side of it and 125 pounds lighter I don't dwell on it too much. You are strong and you will get through. Most leaks heal in 6-8 weeks. If not there is hope and it won't go on forever. Stay strong.

When I read somewhere that all leaks eventually do heal, that gave me the hope I needed at the time I needed it.

My original sleeve surgery was July 22, 2014, then on August 13, 2014 I went to surgeon for check-up, I was having gas pains but otherwise everything seemed normal. I woke up the next day in such horrible pain that I could barely walk, anyway I was admitted to hospital- had exploritory sugery later that day, I woke up with a feeding tube in my nose and a drain on left side near stomach. This hospital stay was 8 days.

I had a big leak because I had multiple abcesses.

I was hospitalized 6 more times, due to other complications as well-drain fell out, drain not working, new drain etc.

After the fist six weeks they moved the feeding tube from my nose to my stomach area near jp drain.

Eventurally I was put on a PICC line for 7- 8 weeks

That darn jp drain was removed finally in February 2015, and the feeding tube was removed March 3, 2015 so yeah my ordeal did last 7 1/2 months, I was either stuck in a recliner or a hospital bed. It did take several weeks for me to get used to sleeping back in my own bed.

and I must all those times that feeding tube got clogged was not fun either.

Yes, I would do it all again! I am super thankful I had such a great surgeon! My next follow-up isn't until May of 2016!

Oh and as to what caused those leaks, Dr didn't know but I blame a smoothie I had the Monday prior to having to much foam! Advice I had read here that I should have taken "AVOID foam at all cost" for a couple months after surgery.

Rayjun

Just for informational purposes not all leaks heal. Mine never did and I ended up having my whole stomach removed.

hello everyone!!

i don't come up here much because I switched jobs and I am currently in nursing school....

Right now i have lost well over 100 lbs and i feel great!! It has been a challenging journey but throught preserverance and prayer I have come out on the other side.

I am currently at 185 lbs from a starting weight of 320lbs. I think I want to lose maybe another 30 but I kinda like where I am at as far as the way I look and also my health is much much better. I have a lot of energy now and have a new outlook on life.

Things are weird for me because I now can go shop in any store I want, and it is a little overwhelming lol...too many choices (i love love love to shop!!)

I still have a challenge with food, which i will probably have the rest of my life...pre-op i wasn't a sweets person...now i love Cookies and cakes (not much..just a couple of bits).. I had to end up learning how to make sugar free Desserts lol

i guess once i learn how to post pictures I will do a before and after

big question: after everything would i do it all over again...YES I WOULD!!

i have a life i never thought i could have...that i thought was out of reach for me...when you are sick it sucks and you don't see the light at the end of the tunnel...but there is a light and you WILL get better and things WILL be great!!

Awesome news. I know the feeling of being sick and not seeing the light. I went through my ordeal for about 7 months and over 30 procedures culminating in a total stomach removal. I felt like it would never end. But now I am down 130 pounds, eating fairly well, bike riding, exercising and living a life better than before the surgery. So glad you came through the other side!

I had the sleeve done in June 2011, was 59 and wore the insulin pump at the time. The good news is it's January 6th 2016 and I am still alive and relatively good health. I had an awesome surgeon. I never felt "good" after surgery and initially had no leaks. Within 3 weeks I had a leak, had a stent put in and not realizing it until I was very sick, the stent had moved and I was horribly sick again. My doctor was out of state on vacation so my daughter took me to the local hospital where I was stabilized until my bariatric surgeon was notified. He had me transferred to a larger hospital where a fellow bariatric surgeon could care for me. He operated to remove the stent and put a larger one in, and when he couldn't get it out he put the larger one in behind it. At that point I could hardly swallow. I ended up in the hospital w/a picc line and could have nothing but ice chips for 3 months. 7 surgeries later, my original Doctor got one of the stents out (the other is still in) and fixed my leak so I finally was on the road to recovery. I tell you this not to scare you but let you know I did make it, my 29 yr old daughter had the sleeve by the same Doctor and had no adverse reactions. The sleeve surgery has greatly improved and the doctor said most people who have leaks are over 55 and are diabetics. The sleeve Surgery is no longer in its infancy. YOU will be fine. I thought I was going to die and was only given a 35% chance of recovery and that was going to be on a feeding tube. I thought I'd never work again, see my grandchildren grow up. I'm 64 now and still work. Keep your chin up sweetheart. Sending prayers and love your way.

as im writing this i am uncontrollably crying. I had gastric sleeve surgury on 8/25. I was fine the first week, the second week i noticed I had lots of gas pain...so i thought...then i thought it was Constipation. Called the nurse at the office and she gave me more pain meds and told me to take a mirilax. After i did all that I did feel better, but my upper left side of stomach still was hurting. I also felt that i couldn't drink enough so I felt dehydrated. So on 9/7 I went tot he hospital. I was admitted once they did a CT scan and found an infection and abcess with a small leak. I was then rushed to surgury and admitted to the hospital. I had a horrible time at the first hospital I was at because the nursing staff seemed to not know how to do anything. They even had me miss a dose of antibiotics. I got a PICC line and was told that my white blood cell count is high and needed to come down to normal range. Throughout the week, things only got worst. Finally on that friday my doctors wanted to transfer me to another hospital in case they needed to put in a stent. I went there and everything was seemed to turn around. On that saturday, I got a CT assisted procedure where they sucked out the bad stuff in my abcess and put in another drain. Afterwards my white blood cell count decreased and I felt better. Well Im home now with 2 drains, a PICC line, and TPN and 5 days with of antibiotics.

Im so sad and hurt because I don't know what to do. Im so scared this is going to go on for months. I'm only 29 years old. I look at all these boxes of medicine and I break down crying. And the thing about is is that I did it to myself. I was pefectly healthy. I was 297 lbs, but i was active. I have faith in God that he will bring me through this and take care of everything. Its just so hard right now. I am out of work, I can't bathe myself, or even comb my hair. And my poor fiance. He is hanging in there with me and supporting me. He helps me do everything while still working. I just cry everything I think about what I did to him. I love him so much and i never wanted this for him. He was fine with me, he just wanted me healthy and thats all. Not a certain size or anything. I did this because I couldn't control myself and displine myself to stay in a healthy lifestyle on my own. I didn't think it would be easy, but I didn't think it would be like this. I am sooooo scared.

i have an appointment on monday for a swallow study (don't know what that is), then an appointment with my surgeon the next day. I pray that everything goes well. I don't know how much I can take of this.

Has anyone went through something like this?

I hope to God you are doing better. Praying for you!! Please let us know how you are doing. GOD BLESS

thanks everyone for the encouraging words...I went on monday for a GI swallow study and today I went to see my doctor for the results....LEAK HAS HEALED...AND ALL BLOOD WORK IS NORMAL (AT LEAST WERE HE WANTS IT))...

I just screamed thank you jesus...I am a woman of faith and this has been one of the hardest things I have every went through. He took out one of my drains and put me on Clear liquids...still on tpn til I can eat enough Protein.

I am so happy..

This has been a long journey this month...I just thank God for seeing me through this...I pray He can continue to heal me and to carry me though the rest of this journey.

one question for all...the place where he took out the drain is leaking a lot of like pus stuff...doesn't hurt or stink...called nurse and she said it was okay as long as it didn't stink or was like a deep yellow or green color... has anyone experienced this?

THANK YOU JESUS????????????????

I'm new on here and I just wanted to share on 1/28 I felt horrible. I was extremely cold, and couldn't stop shaking to the point I could hardly drive.I came home and covered myself with 3 blankets and couldn't warm up called the surgeon and began to puke. Needless to say I was rushed to the e.r where I was running a 101.5 fever and bp was really high. Ct scan showed Fluid and air in my abdominal cavity. Swallow test showed no leak. They ruled it a once abscess or pinhole leak that healed itself..spent 2 days in the sticu Npo since I was soooo nauseous and another 3 floor level where I was so weak nauseous and dizzy that I had to have help to do anything. Oh did I mention I was sepsis. 5 days of intense antibiotics and loads of iv fluids. All my levels evened out.. And now I'm on 2 different antibiotics... Only thing that seems unsettling to me is why no drain to remove the "liquid", I was told that they were guaging how I felt to send me home..which I was better but I still am uneasy about this... I know these are the best Dr's in Houston but it just doesn't sound right...help!

I went through the same thing thought I was healed and I was not they put a stent in for 3 months which hurt every day but I am now healed and lost over 100 lbs it was so worth it keep your head up

Heay i read that you had a stent put in. When you say it hurt everyday, is it the chest pain you are talking about ? My girlfriend just had a stent put in, and she has been puking every 30 min since the stent placement yesterday. Did you puke to ? And for how long?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App