Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications....so broken and sadden

I am glad for everyone here that at least a few things are starting to look better & turn around at least a small amount. I've got my own set of complications and I am happy that people hopefully get a break. It really sucks. LOL. Sorry but it does.

I totally feel what you are going thru. Tomorrow will be my second time back at the hospital. I came thru the ER and after 6+ long hours they admitted me. At first I thought I had kidny stones but it was a blood clot in my lung and pnemonia. Then the next day I waa informed that I also had a small leak at the top of my stomach and esophgus. I have been fighting with the blood thiners which hae done nothing to shrink or remove the blood clot. I wouold have waited another dat to be seen for kidney stones I prob would be dead and that scares the crap oout of me. The pnemonia sees to be getting better slowing, I still weeze a lot and lose my breath really easy (thus making potty trips so hard). My white and red blood cell counts are so up and done I dont even know what to say. I am only allowed to drink 60 cc of Water and ice a day now. SO I AM STARVING NOW. I should be on the soft food reg food now.... sniff sniff. I have also gained 20lbs in 2 weeks and that makes me want to cry and I know I will have to work even harder just for eating ice chips.... pure bawling now. It is so hard to look on the bright side and say this will all be worth it, but I am tring and will keep trying and praying to God for his help and guidance to get me theu this.

@@beltran2000 - Hopefully the most of your weight gain is from all the fluids and you'll soon be on the mend.

I understand you've got a snag but I'm sure you are gonna get thru this. And be better for it. Ask yourself, would you do the same for your fiancee? Of course you would. You both will get thru this. In sickness and in health sweetie.

To beltran2000

Stay strong...when i was going through everything I thought I had made the worst mistake of my life. But it does get better. When I was on TPN I gained a little weight and stayed the same weight for like 2 or 3 months. But as soon as I got better the weight came flying off. So don't worry about your weight now...worry about getting better. Believe me IT IS WORTH IT IN THE END!!

You will see...just keep yourself occupied and stop worrying about where you should be and worry about your health and getting better. Sending prayers your way

I know how you feel......it will get better though. I was sleeved 7/12 and within one week was admitted to my local hospital where I spent almost 7 weeks there. No leak but abcess on spleen tunneling to liver, hospital acquired pneumonia, raging infections, the worst nausea, vomiting, and nothing helped. there were more problems...and the PICC line as well as the chest tube drains JP drains all sucked!!! But I survived and do not remember too much, which my family tells me that is good. To be honest, I still vomit regardless of how little I eat or drink and generally get my calories in prior to early afternoon. I rarely eat dinner unless it is a social gathering. I did have a Jtube nasal then J tube inserted in the OR for a feeding tube - for about 18 months. My weight is still not ideal but I am weak and always tired. I am only telling you this so you can see that in the BIG picture, you will feel better. I hated when people told me that...I kept saying "when"??? Supposedly, the sleeve was "pristine" said by the GI doctors, but my surgeon still swears there had to be a leak for me to be that ill. SO, when you look at your medications and you are feeling awful, try to visualize yourself healthy, eating well and back on your feet. I know it is hard when you do not feel well. I am a nurse, working only about 20-32 hours/week and almost done with my masters (on line). I never thought I would get to this point. What I am trying to say is that even though you are wondering "why", try, please try, to focus on the new you. Keep posting so we know you are improving each day and inching towards feeling "whole" again!

Trish

Wanting to know how you are doing. I am 8 months post op sleeve with a leak and struggling. Any info would be appreciated. Hope you all are doing better.

Ilive here in Chicago, so if you would like to talk to me send me a private email with your phone number. There is so much information I can share with you that I have learned through this entire horrific ordeal.

Last month they converted me from the gastric sleeve to a gastric bypass's. In the process my stomach was completely twisted inside of me. I have been in excruciating pain clinic because my primary care physician and my surgeons no longer want to treat me for pain. My team of surgeons say they cannot find anything wrong with me. Therefore I have made phone calls to the mayo Clinic in Minnesotaclinic because my primary care physician and my surgeons no longer want to treat me for pain. My team of surgeons say they cannot find anything wrong with me. Therefore I have made phone calls to the Mayo Clinic to enquire about what insurance they take, how long would I be there, what I have to stay in a hotel or do I stay at the hospital? In the meantime I'm working with my local bank to obtain a line of credit on my house. I am weak, lethargic and the list goes on and on. I still drink my 30 mL, that's equivalent to a shot glass of Pedialyte to ensure I do not get dehydrated and end up in the hospital again. I have a friend who is going to start interviewing a nurse's aid to help me at my house for a month or two. I need to drink every hour on the hour so my sleep is messed up. If you could call me, that would be wonderful then I can explain to you what the team of surgeons have told me here in Chicago. The back to your question, I am doing a tad better than before. I lost so much weight I look as if I am 100 years old - I just look horrible! The back to your question, I am doing a tad better than before. I lost so much weight I look as if I am 100 years old I am scared to lose anymore weight this last week I have been having major anxiety and panic attacks because I can't eat anything and I'm afraid that I will continuously lose weight and die. This has been I am scared to lose anymore weight this last week I have been having major anxiety and panic attacks because I can't eat anything and I'm afraid that I will continuously lose weight and die. This has literally affected my physical and psychological well-being this has literally affected my physical and psychological well-being.

My surgeon in Mexico was Dr. Almanza. To date, I am so pissed off I have not heard from him or any of his staff. I have left numerous messages, my doctor and my team of surgeons also called to get surgical notes and everything else. He is extremely neglectful. He is lucky he is hiding in Mexico because if he was here in the states it would be considered patient abandonment and over this one he could lose his license.

Do to me weathering the storm, I still try to remain positive which is extremely hard.

When all said and done I am going to need psychiatric care. It's bad enough when you have issues with anxiety plus issues with being overweight that is now coupled with all my other fears that manifested itself from the surgery.

One day at a time. But I will give you a list of medications I'm on, why you need them what it does for your body. I will give you a list of the Vitamins I am on why it's necessary to take them I can go through everything with you and you can ask me any questions you like. I forgot to mention last week I was admitted into the ERdue to Constipation and very lightheaded or I fell down twice getting out of bed. Ugggghhh.

We will get t due to constipation and very lightheaded or I fell down twice. We will get through this. I should weigh anywhere from 165 to 175 I am down to 142 pounds and I am 6 foot tall broad shoulders and now I look as if I'm on my deathbed. It's 5:11 AM I'm going to go to bad but I will keep a lookout for your message. My name is Steve, I will talk with you soon. My area code is 847 so if you see that number coming in that is me.

Edited by Steven1569

Keep us informed. I'm sorry over your situation. I think but am not sure, that some surgeons expect things like that to heal on their own.

I appreciate your thoughtful words. Unfortunately this would have never healed on it's own. I would have died if I did not get medical help. What hurts me the most is that I feel like I'm laying on my deathbed, and numerous phone calls went on answered when everyone was trying to get a hold of Dr. Mario Almonza. I called him numerous times, my sister called, my primary care physician called the nurse who I had to hire to take care of me at my house called, my team of surgeons there were four of them tried to call. To date, no phone call. Not to even see I called him numerous times, my sister called, my primary care physician called the nurse who I had to hire to take care of me at my house called, my team of 3 surgeons tried to call. In addition, we also needed to staples that were used in the event I was allergic to the Staples. It seemed every time I turned around I was hitting a brick wall nothing was working in my favor. I would have been better off spending $30,000 out-of-pocket here in Chicago for the surgery. With all my medication and everything else I am so far into debt. I have had to Max my credit cards, get a line of credit on my house every thing.

The least he could do is call! That's okay, I am going to make it my mission to warn everyone here in the states about him throug that's okay, I am going to make it my mission to warn everyone here in the states about him. I'm going to create a website using his name and I'm going to post h social media. To date, I know he has lost seven potential customers because I spoke to them on the phone personally each one of them. Thank you all for listening, I truly appreciate it. It's almost been a year and you should see me now I look like I come from a concentration camp

I'm sorry. Really, as someone harmed, I can say the same. There has been a lot of comments about the lack of followup from surgeons (here in the states) especially for issues one year out or more. That is usually regain. The only option we patients really have is to tell others of what happened to us and try to get it fixed so it doesn't happen again.

I can certainly understand that one.

Ilive here in Chicago, so if you would like to talk to me send me a private email with your phone number. There is so much information I can share with you that I have learned through this entire horrific ordeal.

Last month they converted me from the gastric sleeve to a gastric bypass's. In the process my stomach was completely twisted inside of me. I have been in excruciating pain clinic because my primary care physician and my surgeons no longer want to treat me for pain. My team of surgeons say they cannot find anything wrong with me. Therefore I have made phone calls to the mayo Clinic in Minnesotaclinic because my primary care physician and my surgeons no longer want to treat me for pain. My team of surgeons say they cannot find anything wrong with me. Therefore I have made phone calls to the Mayo Clinic to enquire about what insurance they take, how long would I be there, what I have to stay in a hotel or do I stay at the hospital? In the meantime I'm working with my local bank to obtain a line of credit on my house. I am weak, lethargic and the list goes on and on. I still drink my 30 mL, that's equivalent to a shot glass of Pedialyte to ensure I do not get dehydrated and end up in the hospital again. I have a friend who is going to start interviewing a nurse's aid to help me at my house for a month or two. I need to drink every hour on the hour so my sleep is messed up. If you could call me, that would be wonderful then I can explain to you what the team of surgeons have told me here in Chicago. The back to your question, I am doing a tad better than before. I lost so much weight I look as if I am 100 years old - I just look horrible! The back to your question, I am doing a tad better than before. I lost so much weight I look as if I am 100 years old I am scared to lose anymore weight this last week I have been having major anxiety and panic attacks because I can't eat anything and I'm afraid that I will continuously lose weight and die. This has been I am scared to lose anymore weight this last week I have been having major anxiety and panic attacks because I can't eat anything and I'm afraid that I will continuously lose weight and die. This has literally affected my physical and psychological well-being this has literally affected my physical and psychological well-being.

My surgeon in Mexico was Dr. Almanza. To date, I am so pissed off I have not heard from him or any of his staff. I have left numerous messages, my doctor and my team of surgeons also called to get surgical notes and everything else. He is extremely neglectful. He is lucky he is hiding in Mexico because if he was here in the states it would be considered patient abandonment and over this one he could lose his license.

Do to me weathering the storm, I still try to remain positive which is extremely hard.

When all said and done I am going to need psychiatric care. It's bad enough when you have issues with anxiety plus issues with being overweight that is now coupled with all my other fears that manifested itself from the surgery.

One day at a time. But I will give you a list of medications I'm on, why you need them what it does for your body. I will give you a list of the Vitamins I am on why it's necessary to take them I can go through everything with you and you can ask me any questions you like. I forgot to mention last week I was admitted into the ERdue to Constipation and very lightheaded or I fell down twice getting out of bed. Ugggghhh.

We will get t due to constipation and very lightheaded or I fell down twice. We will get through this. I should weigh anywhere from 165 to 175 I am down to 142 pounds and I am 6 foot tall broad shoulders and now I look as if I'm on my deathbed. It's 5:11 AM I'm going to go to bad but I will keep a lookout for your message. My name is Steve, I will talk with you soon. My area code is 847 so if you see that number coming in that is me.

My heart and prayers go out to you ALL that are experiencing such tremendous distress and complications! I also pray for the health and welfare for all those that have had WLS.

Steven1569, I live in Chicago and I am in the process of starting my WLS journey. My bariatric team is through Central Dupage Hospital (Northwestern Medicine) and my surgeon will be Dr. Woodard. After reading this forum regarding complications, I am wondering what questions should I really be asking? What should I expect from my medical team? What type of protocols should I inquire about in the event of a complication? Is there a 'group' of experienced, knowledgeable professionals that you have found here in Illinois?

I read you had your surgery in Mexico - but it appears you have now have a team here in Chicago.

Any advise you can give to this Newbie would be great! I didn't just want to hear all the good things about WLS ; so, I am glad I found this forum.

Hello,

I was wondering how you are doing and how the leak/pocket has healed? I currently am in the middle of dealing with a very similar issue. About 3 days after surgery I had lots of gas pain and felt extremely sick. I eventually went in for some fluids because they thought I was dehydrated but eventually after a CT scan, found a leak that led to two pockets of Fluid. I had two drains placed over the course of 2 weeks and then was tranferred to a different hospital to see if they would put a stent in my esophagus. The gastric surgeon ended up putting two internal pig tail drains in and botox in my sphincter to make the path to the sleeve, the one with least resistance. It has been almost 3 weeks since those internal drains were placed and both have been taken out via endoscopy and one external drain has been removed. I have been going in to get upper GI's every week to see the progress. I am currently on TPN through my PICC line and I am constantly nauseated from an empty stomach. It's been 6 and a half weeks since I have eaten any food and like you, all I can do is cry. I feel so defeated and depressed from the situation as if there is not real solution. I just wanna feel better and this drain stinks really bad. Let me know how you are doing and what solutions surgeons had for you.

Thank you

as im writing this i am uncontrollably crying. I had gastric sleeve surgury on 8/25. I was fine the first week, the second week i noticed I had lots of gas pain...so i thought...then i thought it was Constipation. Called the nurse at the office and she gave me more pain meds and told me to take a mirilax. After i did all that I did feel better, but my upper left side of stomach still was hurting. I also felt that i couldn't drink enough so I felt dehydrated. So on 9/7 I went tot he hospital. I was admitted once they did a CT scan and found an infection and abcess with a small leak. I was then rushed to surgury and admitted to the hospital. I had a horrible time at the first hospital I was at because the nursing staff seemed to not know how to do anything. They even had me miss a dose of antibiotics. I got a PICC line and was told that my white blood cell count is high and needed to come down to normal range. Throughout the week, things only got worst. Finally on that friday my doctors wanted to transfer me to another hospital in case they needed to put in a stent. I went there and everything was seemed to turn around. On that saturday, I got a CT assisted procedure where they sucked out the bad stuff in my abcess and put in another drain. Afterwards my white blood cell count decreased and I felt better. Well Im home now with 2 drains, a PICC line, and TPN and 5 days with of antibiotics.

Im so sad and hurt because I don't know what to do. Im so scared this is going to go on for months. I'm only 29 years old. I look at all these boxes of medicine and I break down crying. And the thing about is is that I did it to myself. I was pefectly healthy. I was 297 lbs, but i was active. I have faith in God that he will bring me through this and take care of everything. Its just so hard right now. I am out of work, I can't bathe myself, or even comb my hair. And my poor fiance. He is hanging in there with me and supporting me. He helps me do everything while still working. I just cry everything I think about what I did to him. I love him so much and i never wanted this for him. He was fine with me, he just wanted me healthy and thats all. Not a certain size or anything. I did this because I couldn't control myself and displine myself to stay in a healthy lifestyle on my own. I didn't think it would be easy, but I didn't think it would be like this. I am sooooo scared.

i have an appointment on monday for a swallow study (don't know what that is), then an appointment with my surgeon the next day. I pray that everything goes well. I don't know how much I can take of this.

Has anyone went through something like this?

I just read this entire thread and was wondering how you are doing?