Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar addict and Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG) surgery?

local SA. (Sugarholics Anonymous)

:D :D :D :D :lol:

@@mick

:Dback at ya!!!

kathy

It sounds to me like you're shopping for the best way to cheat while you continue to consume your drug food of choice. I am worried about you.... This is Not a healthy way to start.

As I've already said, I've been fine the last couple of months with avoiding all sweets. I'm not looking to cheat, I'm looking for the TOOL that has the greatest likelihood of helping to keep me ON track. I know what my weakness has been in the past.

I'm going to resume my lurker status now and save my questions for my surgical team. Carry on.

I'm almost 2 years out, and I really like sweets. Cake, in particular. At first, I didn't want or think much about it. Now, I have to consciously avoid sweets. I always say cake is the gateway food! If I have some, I want more, and it can send me into a tailspin of eating other junk. As long as I avoid it, I'm OK. I will say that even though I want it, lots of the things I try just doesn't taste as good as I think I remember. So, I try to remember that as a way to help with self control.

I don't know what's right for you. Sometimes I wish I had the RNY for this reason, but then I think about the advantages of the sleeve, and I'm glad I made this choice. Either way, whichever surgery you choose, it's going to be hard work. Neither of them will make you behave. (Oh, how I wish it could!) I know people who have RNY and just eat bad even though it makes them sick.

Another thing, I made a conscious effort to change my habits. It takes me a lot longer to develop a new habit than they say in the literature, lol. Like, almost 2 years after VSG, and I know I could easily revert back to previous habits. But, slowly, my new lifestyle is starting to become so ingrained that I rarely reach for something "bad". I'm all about moderation in most things, so I do allow myself sweet treats once in a while. I usually try to plan it, but you can't always plan life, so I just roll with it and keep my eye on the prize - being thin! Good luck, whatever you decide.

I had the sleeve and it doesn't help with cravings. The reason I chose sleeve over bypass is because I didn't want to experience dumping. I knew there would be times I would want a bite of something sweet, and didn't want to deal with dumping. I have lost 140 pounds with the sleeve and am at goal.

I chose the sleeve because I don't want my insides rearranged and if I make Cookies at Christmas, I want to be able to at least taste them and make sure I'm not giving my loved ones gross treats. I want to be able to eat normally but with moderation, which is what the sleeve helps with. I am a volume eater. Even if it's healthy, I just eat too much

I am scheduled to have the VSG in January 2015. It is a revision and removal of the band, port, etc. I didn't plan this; my band slipped and because Dr. S had to put me under to remove the band, I figured I might as well go for it. My husband had a VSG in 2011 and was very successful, losing about 100 lbs. He went from a 54" waist to a 40". I might sound very blasé about having the VSG, but I'm looking for help in losing the remaining 80 lbs. that the band left. From everything I've read, it looks like a good choice. Only time will tell; so I will post an update after the procedure. If anyone has had experience with a failed band and then had VSG surgery, I would love to hear from you. Thanks.

Mary

sugar addict here....addicted to sugar UP UNTIL THE DAY BEFORE surgery, when i was FORCED to go cold turkey. i can honestly say, a week later, my sleeve is doing so WONDERFULLY in that things that i used to love are now toooooo sweet! i would have NEVER been happy with a teaspoon of sugar in 8 ounces of tea, but i am now completely satisfied with it. also, i have dumping syndrome. if i eat something sweet (i drank apple juice uncut by accident) i get dizzy and flustered.

i know that we are encouraged to use artificial sweetners, but i absolutely cannot. one thing that has reversed for me is this. before surgery i loved the taste of aspartame and didn't mind other sweetners. post surgery, i immediately get sick from ALL fake sugars. i have tried everything--even stevia gives me a Migraine and the taste of aspartame makes me nauseated.

i am able to control the sugar i eat and feel good about doing it. i have not had any heavy sugar laden meals yet, and honestly don't think i could stand the sweetness at this point!

so for me, i will be using regular sugar, just in very small amounts.

i am also a volume eater--if that helps. i will admit, my sleeve immediately after surgery can hold more than i expected it could, and i was alarmed because i thought that meant i would slip back into the horror pit of volume eating. but i am doing so very well with never allowing myself to go beyond being "satisfied", it's amazing! i don't allow myself to get "full". i stop at "satisfied". i also now have the understanding that if i want more, i can go back later.

i used to be a hoard eater--eating everything like i was hoarding it. i would tell myself, "you can go back and get more later" but i would find myself stuffing myself to sickness, because i just couldn't bring myself to "come back later".

now, i find myself putting half of my drinks away, putting half of my yogurt back, everything. and voila! when i go back later, a bit hungry again, it is there. i have overcome a problem that i've had for years literally in a week.

i heart my sleeve.

Edited by mrsbailey921

Sugar was my biggest vice, second was red meat. I am just short of three months out. Eating either one of them now, even a little, makes me so ill they will likely be off my list forever. If I ever eat either of them again it will be in very tiny quantities. For now, keep them out of my sight. Ugh.

It's been 3 1/2 weeks since surgery and I was a sugar addict for sure. Sweets don't sound good to me at all! I hope it stays that way! My friend got the bypass and can eat sweets without dumping, so no guarantee you will get the dumping! Just the thought of my intestines getting rerouted scared me! I am loving my sleeve! Never hungry, when I eat I get full after 5 bites and loved that I have dropped 25 lbs already! Best decision ever!!!

In the beginning I had no cravings for sweets at all. That sugar monster kicked in two weeks. I am 3 months out now. I make sure that I have my Protein drink during the day and it helps a lot. I also keep Protein Bars around too. My sleeve doe snot like artificial sweeteners. I do use pure Amish honey in my homemade granola bars and I am okay with those. I am always looking for healthy sweet Snacks on Pinterest. I have not dared to eat candy bars or other candies. I am too scared.

Later losers!

Thanks for your reply. It's good to get feedback here and good to know what might happen. It sounds like my sugar addiction will come to a stop. I had hoped that the band would do it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all will go well. Thanks again and bravo to you on your journey. You are half way!

Mary