Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar addict and Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG) surgery?

Sweets have always been my downfall. I am now close to 11 months out and have nit had the first bite of sweets and no longer crave them after following my doctors hearing rules, #1, I don't have room foe them, #2, eating high Protein and low carbs, the cravings are not there now. I stay away from simple carbs which have always created those urges. I do eat complex carbs like fruit. Your system will change

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm 2 months out and have no issues with sugar. I allow myself to have a small amount when I want it. I'm ok with having it because the old me would have been a handful or more! I had my first small piece of cake this week and it didn't taste as good to me as it used too. I can say I don't crave as much sugar as I used to, but then again I don't eat nearly as much of anything like I did in the past.

yeah true....everything tastes diff now...a lot of food doesnt taste good anymore

I used to say that if I were to drown in a vat of sugar I'd be okay with that death. I'm also diabetic. That said, I do not dump at all. I can, in theory, eat all the sugar. I mean, I can have the chocolate chip cookie with no issues. Having said that, I don't crave it like I used to, and even if I do have the Cookies, I can only eat a small amount before the sleeve is like "girl, stahp!"

I'm a sweets man and I haven't had a craving yet. the only thing I am craving is cheese and maybe some meat. I am only 9 days out though.....

back in my oa days I found when I went off sugar it took about a week or two for all the cravings to go away. you will be on liquids longer than that probably so if you plan your cupboards well you will not be craving. somehow your system changes after the sleeve. I have indulged in a few bites here and there but seem to be ok without big dessert events. not eating bread helps me be LESS hungry and less craving. if I want something I will have a few bites usually. the sleeve has taken away almost all of the bottomless pit feelings, thank God. try to shop healthy and good luck. love sara

Sounds like y'all need to join your local SA. (Sugarholics Anonymous)

:D :D :D :D :lol:

Edited by mick

Ask your surgeon what the numbers are, how many rny patients get dumping, my understanding is that not everyone gets dumping and even less get it with the sleeve. I think that you will need to work through the sugar addiction surgery without relying on the surgery alone no matter what you choose.

I'm really stuck as to whether to get the sleeve or bypass... I went into this process set on bypass, but now I'm considering the sleeve. My biggest concern is that I'm a former sugar addict (have done well the last couple of months), but I feel like I would be better off with bypass because of the risk of dumping.

Is anyone here, who has had the sleeve, been successful in fighting the sugar cravings? Does the sleeve do anything to help you curb the cravings? I'm afraid that if I don't have that extra incentive (dumping) to avoid the sweets, I'll fall back into my sugar loving ways...

HI!

There is light at the end of the tunnel. I was a serious sugar addict - bread, pies, Cookies, pastas...you name it, I probably loved it.

Post sleeve, I am no longer a slave to the cravings. It's really amazing, considering how addicted I was before. It's like night and day.

HI!

There is light at the end of the tunnel. I was a serious sugar addict - bread, pies, Cookies, pastas...you name it, I probably loved it.

Post sleeve, I am no longer a slave to the cravings. It's really amazing, considering how addicted I was before. It's like night and day.

Great to know, thank you!

I've done just fine since July 22, when I first started this process (down 20 lbs). I just want to have all the tools possible in order to STAY on track... I wasn't sure if the sleeve would be enough, but it sounds like it could be. Definitely something to discuss with my surgeon.

Thanks again!

Edited by Quest4TheNewMe

I am 18 months out from sleeve. I have lost 130 lbs and working on maintaining now. I am a sugar addict and one taste would lead to non stop eating. I now get sick if I have too much sugar. I am one of the minority that dump with the sleeve. More than 2 bites of ice cream and I feel ill and get palpitations. Also for other sweet things. Now to satisfy sweet tooth I have fruit or plain yogurt with some fruit added. I am happy that I cannot tolerate too many sweets. My brain wants them sometimes but after much tryin I know that sweet bite is not worth it.

I have a sweet tooth also. I'm on my pre-op diet and just tried something that was very sweet, chocolaty and tasty. 6 oz. chocolate sugar free pudding + 1 1/2 tsp. PB2 + extra Sweet N' Low to taste.. It tasted like a soft creamy Reese's Peanut Butter cup.

I have a sweet tooth also. I'm on my pre-op diet and just tried something that was very sweet, chocolaty and tasty. 6 oz. chocolate sugar free pudding + 1 1/2 tsp. PB2 + extra Sweet N' Low to taste.. It tasted like a soft creamy Reese's Peanut Butter cup.

Now that sounds like a plan!

I have reactive hypoglycemia presurgery. My surgery is in 3 days. 2 sisters have had the bypass. They both can have a few bites of the sweets but anything more and they dump. I am having the bypass. I was set on the sleeve, but after talking to a lot of people including the surgeon, and research, I decided bypass was best for me

Quest.... a lot of this weight loss is mind over matter. Your head has to be in the game to make the surgery work. You may want to see a behaviorist or Psychiatrist to work on the sugar addiction. Either surgery will work for you and you can "cheat" on either one.... people can and have gained their weight back after both of these surgeries. The failure was not in the operation but in the mental approach these people took with WLS. You're going to have to limit or omit sugar from your diet to be successful... planning on using dumping isn't going to work. It's not a healthy or fun way to live. These surgeries are only tools to help... they can't solve all of the problems. It sounds to me like you're shopping for the best way to cheat while you continue to consume your drug food of choice. I am worried about you.... This is Not a healthy way to start.