Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having My Band Removed

Hi eveyone.. I haven't been here in quite a while. I have to have my band removed. I've had Nutcracker Esophagus, which is not caused by the band, but does not allow fills (they always close up) for about a year now. I have no fill now, have some restriction on good foods (tuna salad? ??) but have just been going hog wild on the bad stuff.

No excuse, but through all this, my husband's been sick, unemployed,and now will probably need a liver transplant.

Saw a wonderful doctor last week & without question, the band has to come out, and I decided to go for RNY. I had been down to 158, now I'm up to 203 again (high was 232) I am so disgusted and unhappy.

I must stress that I loved my band. If used correctly, filled correctly and not abused, I feel that it is a wonderful tool, and had I not had this problem would have continued as a happy bandster

Thanks to all of you for your past support, and I know you'll be pulling for me now

Good luck to you and to your husband! Have you considered the sleeve gastrectomy? Is that an option with Nutcracker's Esophagus? If you don't know anything about it, obesityhelp.com has a nice section about it.

Hi Karen,

I'm sorry to hear you'll be losing your band, but SO glad to hear you have other options! Your health and quality of life are what comes first, and you need to take care of yourself. That's especially hard when family is sick, as I'm sure you know.

Good luck with everything and best wishes for strong health and healing for both you and your husband!

Awwwww Karen, I am so sorry to hear not only about your band, but your DH also. You have both been through so much this last year.

We've missed you here on LBT!

How is your daughter doing with her band?

I am glad you still have other options to help you. Please keep us updated on your surgery!:(:) :)

I'm sorry to hear about losing your band and about your husband. Hopefully, everything will work out for the best. You seem to have a great attitude in the face of adversity. Good thoughts are coming your way!

Hi everyone.

The sleeve is not an option because it's not covered by my insurance. Also, I can't take a chance on relying on just restriction.

Nutcracker Esophagus is a rare condition marked by very rapid contractions through the esophagus; it's confirmed by a minometry (swallow test where they put tubes through your nostrils into your exoph. Not fun, but worth it.) It can cause pain, I thought I was having a heart attack, and it can ultimately result in cancer. It was first suspected in me when my barium swallows went down so fast & they saw so many contractions under fluro. when the barium went down. Then when my fills kept closing up after 2-3 good weeks, I had the minometry. One time, it got to the point where I couldn't sip Water, had waited a week for an unfill becasue the person who does them wasn't around, and I when the Fluid was out, I spit out a tiny Welbutrin pill that had been sitting there for the whole week. It looked untouched.

Don't worry, it's RARE!

Betty, Hanna's doing great. She's down 50+ lbs., still a little way to go, but a great difference in her life. She's been in Israel since September, due back June 7. I can hardly wait. She's 19 already, can you believe it? And look at you, girl, down 98 lbs. WOW! That's so great. I am so happy for you. You must be lovin it.

It's so nice to hear from old friends. That's my bad habit, hiding out when things aren't going well for me. I'll tell you about my family, my job, anything except me, because I think I failed. I thought I could keep the weight off once the band was unfilled. Ha!

Having lots of tests, Tuesday's endo. & phych, Thursday's nutritionist (and colonoscopy, but that was from before), next Monday's stress test, echo, and the lovely sleep test. It's so weird, because when I first met the doctor, it turned out that he knew & is friends w/ my doctors from my mastectomy...so he's getting me in when docs supposedly have no appt's. also the psych didn't have appointments for over a month...when I heard her name, I realized she had led a weight loss group Hanna participated in years ago...I emailed her Thursday night & I'm seeing her Thursday. Weird, huh?

Just waiting to hear when the endoscopy will be. I'll definately be approved for band removal, it's just the by-pass that we'll have to wait for. Maybe they can just sneak it in as long as I'm on the table.

Keep ya posted...

couldn't edit...all i got was smiley faces, millions of them!

***THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR GOOD THOUGHTS, PLEASE KEEP SENDING THEM!***

Karen I am sooooo sorry to hear you are having problems

my prayers are with you and your family it's one thing

for a member of the family to be sick but both you

and your DH and unemployed as well is so much for

you to handle but rest assured your lap band family

is praying for you here to a speedy recovery keep

us posted plenty of hugs:girl_hug: :(:) :) :woot: :bananalama: :bananajump:

Hi eveyone.. I haven't been here in quite a while. I have to have my band removed. I've had Nutcracker Esophagus, which is not caused by the band, but does not allow fills (they always close up) for about a year now. I have no fill now, have some restriction on good foods (tuna salad???) but have just been going hog wild on the bad stuff.

No excuse, but through all this, my husband's been sick, unemployed,and now will probably need a liver transplant.

Saw a wonderful doctor last week & without question, the band has to come out, and I decided to go for RNY. I had been down to 158, now I'm up to 203 again (high was 232) I am so disgusted and unhappy.

I must stress that I loved my band. If used correctly, filled correctly and not abused, I feel that it is a wonderful tool, and had I not had this problem would have continued as a happy bandster

Thanks to all of you for your past support, and I know you'll be pulling for me now

Oh Karen, I am so very sorry. I wish there was something we could do for you. :)

Can you tell me more about nutcracker esophagus? I don't think I have heard about that. I'd be interested to learn more if you don't mind.

Again, so very sorry about your band!

I too am so sorry. Don't know you well but have enjoyed all of your advice and thoughts. I just wanted you to know I will be praying for you and you will be in my thoughts. Tell your daughter she's done wonderful. Take care and keep us posted.

Wasabubble Butt, it's all there, about 3 posts up. (long post, dated yesterday)

Karen my best to you. Whatever your outcome I wish it to be healthy and also wellness to your husband.

We live in a society with a very troubled medical system. I am thrilled that I have sleep apnea because that increases my chances of being approved for RNY.

My whole sleep study was uneventful and funny. Everything I've read on these posts about the hair gunk is true and worse. I woke up every time I turned over. They're not really supposed to give results, and since many people told me that they'd come in during the night w/a mask (or whatever it's called) if I had SA, I was kind of disappointed in the a.m. when they hadn't. I had told the tech my situation, and after I said "I know you can't tell me the results, but...." he smiled and said "I'm sure you'll feel better after your surgery," and proceeded to give me a paper to fill out that was entitled "Questionaire for Sleep Apnea Patients." Some secret!

Anyway, I had my endoscopy today, and my poor unfilled band is just fine...no erosion, slippage etc. He did notice some bile, which indicates reflux. When my insurance covered Nexium there was no bile. I'm on Previcid sol tabs. I know there are other PPI's out there, but I miss my Nexium!

I'll keep ya posted!

Take care,

Karen