Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American vsgers!

I'm having my surgery the week do the 13th of July hopefully in TJ Mexico with Dr. Maytorena. I would like to lose about 65-80 lbs. that's a big range but lol just have to see as I go how I feel and how I look.

I know what you mean. I am getting sleeved on July 6th! I am anxious + a bit nervous. I wish you well. God bless.
thanks same to you! I'm ready!

Hello all! I'm scheduled for VSG on 7/30/15. I'm nervous and anxious but I know the results are necessary for my health at this point. Prayers to everyone!

Hello all! I'm scheduled for VSG on 7/30/15. I'm nervous and anxious but I know the results are necessary for my health at this point. Prayers to everyone!

Hey! I know the feeling. I go on the 22nd!! I'm super nervous, but excited and ready for it.

My natural hair ladies, I need your help!

So I'm in or very close to month 3 post surgery and somewhat dreading it. This is the month that people seem to have noticed hair shed and loss. I'm vigilant and understand that I am not super woman and immune to what will be but I can't tell. I'm a natural with a big head of thick - ish hair. And I can't tell the difference between post surgery shed or my normal hair shedding. Naturalistas, could you tell a difference?

I have natural hair and I was sleeved 12/15/14. I began noticing hair thinning and breakage around 4 months PostOp. At that point I began more protective styling, using less heat (flat-ironing 1-2 a month), taking Natures Bounty Hair, Skin, & Nails gummies, and trimming my ends every 4-6 weeks. Honestly, around month 6/7 is when my hair got back to normal. So I would say, just give it a couple months when you begin experiencing changes in your hair- eat your daily recommended Protein, take your Vitamins, and drink plenty of Water.

I'm natural, I am just a few days post op. I am taking collagen, I took pills before now I switched to powder which I drink in about 2-3 oz of Water. In the past I have done well with phyto cap energy Vitamins. I plan on purchasing some this week. They are small, really work and do not cause breakouts. I am hoping those supplements along with my Dr prescribed vitamins will prevent a lot of Hair loss. Also I have been getting a minimum of 60 grams of Protein in each day. When I was really trying to grow my hair out fast a few years ago, I upped my protein intake with supplements and it really worked. I am hoping that by keeping my protein 90 plus that I can prevent hair loss. Some people say you can't prevent it because it is shock from surgery. My surgery did not seem to be that traumatic to my body, so I am hoping for the best. My hair is always in protective styles so hopefully that helps.

I'm natural, I am just a few days post op. I am taking collagen, I took pills before now I switched to powder which I drink in about 2-3 oz of Water. In the past I have done well with phyto cap energy Vitamins. I plan on purchasing some this week. They are small, really work and do not cause breakouts. I am hoping those supplements along with my Dr prescribed Vitamins will prevent a lot of hair loss. Also I have been getting a minimum of 60 grams of Protein in each day. When I was really trying to grow my hair out fast a few years ago, I upped my Protein intake with supplements and it really worked. I am hoping that by keeping my protein 90 plus that I can prevent Hair loss. Some people say you can't prevent it because it is shock from surgery. My surgery did not seem to be that traumatic to my body, so I am hoping for the best. My hair is always in protective styles so hopefully that helps.

I think it's unavoidable to some extent. Most people experience it from 3-6 months PostOp. The best thing is to make sure your getting adequate protein, taking your vitamins, and Getting plenty of fluids.

Hope your recovery is going well! And good luck with your journey!

Edited by MyssJones

up my 6 month supervised diet and a psych evaluation required by my insurance, plus the 3 nutritional visits required by my surgeon. Now I'm in the 2 week waiting zone for insurance approval.

I'm going through the process with Optum Health Bariatric program through United Healthcare. Has anyone else been through this process with UHC? If so, was it a full two weeks? Any other info you have would be great! I'm penciled in for a August 12 surgery date, dependent upon insurance approval.

Edited by sleeveme77

Hello everyone!!!!

I'm scheduled for Aug. 31st!!!! I look at other peoples weight goals for my height (5'71/2) and wonder what is more realistic for me. I obviously want to be healthy but I would like for my body to still be shapely, I really don't want to be really small with no shape. To anyone who lost about 100 is your body shape the same or did you thin out all together?

Recently got approved to be sleeved, but no date yet. Waiting on preoperative apt with surgeon to decide on date. Glad there is a thread for sistas as well!

I start my two week pre-op diet on Wednesday. I'm revising from the band to the sleeve on August 12th. I'm so ready to get this started.

UPDATE: I just got a call asking me if I wanted to change my date to August 10. Hel-lro! Yes Indeed!

Edited by monieanne

I was sleeved 6/22/15. So far since surgery I'm down about 25 pounds. The hardest part is the liquid post-op. I did Clear Liquids for 10 days, the full liquids for 14 days then puréed for 1 week. Now I'm at soft/ maintenance! My energy is great and I have no complaints. Started back to work today and feel good! Good luck everyone!

Hi all! Congrats to the new and soon-to-be sleevers! My journey is going well. I hit 8 months post-op last week and I am down 130 lbs. My goal is to lose another 45 lbs. No complications or Hair loss issues. I take my Vitamins religiously, so my labs are good. The sleeve has exceeded my expectations! Easily the best decision I've made in years. Glad to have my active lifestyle back. ????