Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So last month I had some awful pain (I posted about it at that time to get feedback). Since then I've had a few instances of minor cramping/aching on my right side under my rib cage. I called the surgeons office yesterday because I knew they'd want to schedule a test. I already have my 18 month follow up scheduled for next Friday and didn't want to have to go in a second time for test results. So I went for an ultrasound this morning. They called this afternoon to tell me I have gall stones. They wanted to move up my appointment so I could be evaluated, but I told them to leave my appointment as is for now. She said if I have another attack (severe pain, not minor. I asked) I have to go to the ER right away and most likely have surgery. I'm kinda nervous. I've heard gallbladder surgery is really painful, and I can't afford to be out of work. :(

Edited by pookybear

I had my gallbladder out and it was a piece of cake Same day surgery, home that night. Very easy recovery! If you got through GBP, you will be just fine. :) I had my surgery on a Thursday and went back to work half days on Mondays (although I was exhausted!).You will feel SO MUCH BETTER once it's gone, especially if you've been having attacks. They are horrible.

If they do GB surgery laparoscopically, it's no huge deal. It's only when they have to make an incision to do an open cholecystectomy that it's so painful. That's because they cut through layers of muscle; that's where the pain comes from. You can also ask for the drug to help avoid further stones. I think it's called actigal and it's supposed to help prevent stones. I lived with bad stones for over a year before having mine removed (that was in 1983; open; before gastric sx). Now a days, it seems they just want to rush you right to surgery. Ask about options or waiting. Depends on how bad you're feeling.

Good luck.

It seems like my surgeon has us taking medication to prevent (urosidol) I think. Anyone else have preventative meds?

My surgeon makes us have a gall scan before surgery.... If there is stones he goes ahead and takes it out before hand that way it wont have to be done after....real good recovery time...good luck to you.

Gallbladder surgery is a walk in the park compared to rny. If you got through that, you will definitely be fine with having your gallbladder removed. Good luck and keep us updated!

Really? Thanks! When I was in the hospital from RNY my roommate had GB surgery and was wailing and crying all hours of the night. Scared the bejeezes out of me!

I agree that gallbladder was a cakewalk compared to RNY.

This Friday I have my 18 month follow up and they want to do an evaluation on my gallbladder as well. Anyone know what this entails? I already had an ultrasound done.

Really? Thanks! When I was in the hospital from RNY my roommate had GB surgery and was wailing and crying all hours of the night. Scared the bejeezes out of me!

I'm guessing the reason for the wailing was due to passing the stones and not because of the surgery. I know the night before my gall bladder surgery I was in the worst pain of my life as I continued to try and pass the stones while not being able to get any pain meds. It was so bad I flipped out of my hospital bed and ended up with lots of extra bruising and other issues just due to the wait.

The surgery itself was as already mentioned as easy as it gets. I was on my blackberry working an hour after I woke up and released later that day. I'd put it a step or two below having dental surgery.

Of course all of that said, if you wait too long and get to experience the horror of passing the stones - all bets are off.

Yeah, I DON'T want to go through that. I'm almost kind of hoping they do schedule surgery to take it out.

I had my gallbladder removed on Wednesday. It hasn't been to bad. I have only taken one pain pill. Just a little sore, but no where near as bad as a gallbladder attack.

I had my gb taken out at the same time as my RNY, laproscopically by davinci because my gb was apparently packed with stones. Im tellin ya, after surgery, even with the pain of the whole ordeal...I felt better with my gallbladder out. I never realized it had been making me feel so bad! You'll be good! Any pain you do go through will be so worth it.

I was told about 4 years ago mine GB should be removed . I looked online and found a Gall Bladder cleanse. It was very unpleasant ( tastes bad and lots of poop the next day) but it worked. I have recommended to several friends since them and most have avoided surgery.

"I was told about 4 years ago mine GB should be removed . I looked online and found a Gall Bladder cleanse. It was very unpleasant ( tastes bad and lots of poop the next day) but it worked. I have recommended to several friends since them and most have avoided surgery."

What was the cleanse?