Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The last meal every day!

Hey everyone,

I have my surgery date of Oct 6 for my sleeve. No liquid pre-op before hand either, which I am thinking is not in my favour considering, now, All I think about is food FOOD FOOD! like its a free for all every day, Not just the LAST MEAL, as I know my surgery day is coming and from that day on, It will change forever. Is it just me or does any of you feel this way?

Make the most of it ! I had to go on a 2 week partial liquid diet, 2 Optifast shakes per day plus one low fat, low carb, high Protein meal. I was good and stuck to it until the last 5 days when each of my one meals a day was one of my favourite meals from one of my favourite restaurants. My surgeon didn't seem too bothered, perhaps because I had a relatively low BMI and no health problems. Stuffing my face prior to surgery still probably wasn't that smart though !!! We are still obese and the lower the weight and smaller the liver during the op the less time spent on the table and the lower the risk. The silly thing is, all the food I stuffed in my face I can still eat and enjoy just in much smaller quantities :-) good luck !!

I DID feel that way, but it turned out to be an unfounded fear. Through reduced capacity with my sleeve, food journaling and exercise, I've developed a lifestyle that allows me to "eat like a thin person". For me, that means I eat what I like in small quantities. I don't give in to every whim immediately, but if there's something my body has been asking for for an extended period of time, I'll work it into my day. In this way I never feel deprived and I have far less "cravings". There's also no guilt because I make sure to get at least 75g of Protein per day rarely go over on my calories even when planning an indulgence. Some choose to give up trigger foods, but I find this works better for me. Does your lifestyle have to change to be a success? Definitely. You have to figure out what will work for you, but know that it down't HAVE to look like complete deprivation of all that is good!

I was on a two week liquid diet prior to surgery, but I made room every other day for one of my "last meals". Buffalo Wild Wings, Kung Pao chicken, Steak Fajitas, Red Hot & Blue Dry Ribs, Kung Pao chicken again because the first batch wasn't as good as it should have been :P ... I did avoid any extra carbs and sugar, and 80% of my meals were Protein shakes, and I did just fine. Don't go crazy, though, because you really are trying to shrink your liver so it's less at risk of being nicked during your surgery. Good luck!

I had my share of food funerals before I started a ten day pre-op liquid diet. Now that I am 8 1/2 months out, I don't really miss the fatty, greasy, sugary, salty, starchy, junky crap that I used to eat. No wonder I was heavy and sick! I guess I was also saying good-bye to the old me, to make room for new health and improved outlook on life. My body thanks me for the extra Protein and nutritious veggies.

I had my share of food funerals before I started a ten day pre-op liquid diet. Now that I am 8 1/2 months out, I don't really miss the fatty, greasy, sugary, salty, starchy, junky crap that I used to eat. No wonder I was heavy and sick! I guess I was also saying good-bye to the old me, to make room for new health and improved outlook on life. My body thanks me for the extra Protein and nutritious veggies.

I have to agree with you. Used to love, love, LOVE Buffalo Wild Wings and Five Guys burgers and fries. Now the thought of them kind of turns my stomach. Of course, Protein shakes kind of do that too. :wacko:

I am in the same boat, my surgery is Oct 1. I dont need to lose weight per my doctor but Ive been obsessing over food lately too! Ive gained 8 pounds and my surgeon is annoyed

I had to laugh about the Protein shakes - that thing which I hate! :unsure:

im on my last week. surgery is oct 6th and i have a 2 day pre-op liquid diet.i was told not to lose one lb because my bmi is low so im going out with a bang and eating all my favorites this week.

I would say have one specific day where it is a free for all! One of the things the psychiatrist said at the Nutrition class I had to go to was that, it's best to start working on the new & healthier you BEFORE surgery, so then it won't be so difficult afterwards. He also was serious when he said that if we gain too much weight, the surgeon has every right to postpone surgery if he doesn't think we're ready for it.