Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

They said you lose on an average of 60 of your body weight

Okay so here's my question if I was 276 pounds before surgery and they say on an average people lose 60 of their weight within the first year. Does that mean that I will end up weighing around 165 pounds. Cuz I think 60 percent what my starting wait before surgery equals about around 170

That's 60% of your excess weight not of your total weight and it's an approximate calculation - some lose more some lose less it depends on whether you stick to the program and on how much you exercise

This is one of several common but wrong "facts" floating around out there about WLS.

This is not a fact, but it's just "on average" what ALL WLS patients lose.

In other words, some people lose 20%, some 40%, some 60%, some 80% and some 100% of their EXCESS WEIGHT (the amount that they're overweight).

Likewise, some patients maintain 100% of their weight loss, some maintain 80%, some maintain 60%, some maintain 40%, some maintain 20% -- and some gain back every bit of the weight they lost.

How much you lose and how much of your weight loss you maintain in future years is purely a function of:

* how much and what kind of food you eat

* how much Water you drink

* how much you exercise

* how well you deal long-term with your food / obesity / eating / addiction issues

(At least, that's how I understand it. Competing views are welcomed.)

Edited by VSGAnn2014

My starting weight was 256 pounds. My doc said "You'll probably settle in around 180." I said, "OK, what is that based on?" He said, "Averages." My response was, "I am not putting forth an average type of effort forth." Right now, I'm sitting at that 180 mark! Ugh.

There are a lot of things that factor into this - male/female, your metabolism, current health conditions, age, etc. This will be your individual journey.

I am happier today than I have been in over 25 years - if I don't lose another pound not only will my doctor consider me a success, but so will I. I want to lose more and I'm working hard to lose more. I have my life back, I have a better relationship with my family, I'm healthier, more active, etc. If I "only" lose 73 pounds I'll be OK. :-)

My starting weight was 362 pounds. Right now I am at 220, a loss of 140 pounds. My ideal weight was projected at 200 lbs, which means I have lost 86% of excess weight. At 9 months out, My weight loss has slowed but I am still losing about one pound a week. I agree with the above comments. There are a lot of variables including the weight that your body feels most comfortable. My best advice is to follow the program: Protein, then vegetables and fruit, limit carbs, drink fluids and increase activity or exercise on a daily basis

My starting weight was 256 pounds. My doc said "You'll probably settle in around 180." I said, "OK, what is that based on?" He said, "Averages." My response was, "I am not putting forth an average type of effort forth." Right now, I'm sitting at that 180 mark! Ugh.

There are a lot of things that factor into this - male/female, your metabolism, current health conditions, age, etc. This will be your individual journey.

I am happier today than I have been in over 25 years - if I don't lose another pound not only will my doctor consider me a success, but so will I. I want to lose more and I'm working hard to lose more. I have my life back, I have a better relationship with my family, I'm healthier, more active, etc. If I "only" lose 73 pounds I'll be OK. :-)

My doc said something similar and his final number was between 170-160 lbs (I'm 5'4"). I hit his number at 9 months out and then my personal goal of 140 lbs at 13 months out. Now I am 136-137 and at some point will buckle down to hit my stretch goal of 130. My point is that all of these numbers are within our control. You can hit 100% EWL, it's up to you.