Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Training for STRENGTH without going to the gym-OPTIONS?

hi all- i really am interested in doing some good training to tone and gain strength, especially because i have early bone loss in my spine and want to delay any onset of osteoporosis. also, i don't want to be this thin little woman who is weak and has sagging, i want to be STRONG and buff, and have taught skin.

are there ANY options other than going to a gym? i have tons of DVDs but i'm pretty sure that all the aerobic in the world won't tone and make me buff like a good old fashioned weight lifting session.

there is a Planet Fitness on the other side of my town, and i hate the idea of driving there every day, but i will do what i have to do for my longterm.

thoughts?

There are some programs that allow you to use your own body weight as resistance - I do Turbulence Training. There are others, do a web search and you should be able to find something you like. (You will do planks, squats, push-ups, step-ups, sit ups, crunches, etc.)

You can pick up some dumbbells at a reasonable price at Target, Walmart, etc. You don't need a lot to get you started. If you have a Play It Again Sports or used equipment dealer in your town, you may be able to find a good deal as well.

The important thing is to start...

I use dumbbells -- have various sizes from 3 lbs through 10 lbs, and will probably add some 12 lbs soon. I use weights and circuit training (combo of cardio and weights) DVD's. Kelly Coffey Meyer has some great DVD's that incorporate weights and she gives good instruction on form during the DVD's. Leslie Sansone has a DVD called Walk It Off in 30 Days that is a little more geared towards beginners -- it has one workout that is straight cardio and another that is a combination of weights and a little Pilates.

If you can afford it, buy a weight bench with weights (try Craigslist or EBay for a better deal than you can get from a sporting goods store) and hire a personal trainer to come to your house for a couple of sessions to show you how to use it and get you started.

Yup, grab some dumbbells and dial up youtube! I just book marked a couple of Jillian Michael's strength workouts with dumbbells and kettlebells. PopSugar Fitness has a number of videos, cardio and strength. And of course my fave series the Firm has a lot of options for you as well. You can absolutely do it without joining a gym.

check out Les Mills' Pump. it's available now on dvd and comes with weights, about $200 all together i think. i used to take these classes at the gym. they are high quality, with great music, and work the whole body smartly and i found it fun.

I use dumbbells -- have various sizes from 3 lbs through 10 lbs, and will probably add some 12 lbs soon.

If you can afford it, buy a weight bench with weights (try Craigslist or EBay for a better deal than you can get from a sporting goods store) and hire a personal trainer to come to your house for a couple of sessions to show you how to use it and get you started.

I have done all of the above as well as I have resistance bands and a couple kettle bells. I got everything off of Craigslist or at Play It Again. I started with and still do a lot of body weight exercises. Body weight exercises are very effective. In the beginning I could barely do a push up on my knees and now I do three to five sets of 15 on my toes. I don't go to the gym but do a group circuit style work out in a local park once a week as well (bootcamp). So you may find closer to home options. There are lots of choices, have fun. Here's a muscle shot for inspiration, saggy batwings and all.post-161802-14101869671972_thumb.jpg

I don't have time to go to a gym, so I bought a bowflex machine and love it. It doesn't build bulk muscle as is the case with free weights, which suits my needs well.

You can absolutely do resistance training without going to a gym and with a few simple implements like a pull up bar, resistance bands and a kettle bell or two, you can get strong and build lots of muscle without setting foot in a weight room. My gym is close to my work which is almost an hour from my house, so on weekends at home I'll often do wall squats, push ups, pull ups, planks , etc and still get a heckuva workout.

post-119154-0-03074500-1410189561_thumb.png

There are many resistance training videos on youtube. Pick up some resistance bands and/or use your own body weight for resistance. It's easy and can be done in just a few short minutes once or twice a week.

There are also very short once or twice a week programs for gaining strength and maybe building some muscle tone? They're called Hiit, Hist or Hit. High intensity interval training or High intensity strength training. Find one that fits your own lifestyle and modify it if you have to? Feeling thin and fit is a wonderful feeling.

Get yourself a kettlebell. Maybe 12 lbs to start You can start out with 30 seconds worth of Russian swings (you start in a wide stance, with the bell down between your legs). squat down and swing the bell up so that your arms are parallel to the floor. The bell should be at roughly boob level. Come back up to the beginning position and lower the bell down at the same time. Do as many as you can in that 30 seconds. You can do intervals of this. Maybe three intervals to start. Not only is there a cardio effect, the next day you will be so sore all over. The key is using your hips to swing the bell up, not your arms. You should really feel this in your major muscles of the lower body - quads, hams, glutes. If you feel it in your arms, you are using them to swing the bell and doing them incorrectly. (There are lots of tutorials on the innerwebz/youtube)

You can also do squats and lunges, as well as push ups and crunches without a gym. You can do step ups onto a kitchen chair.

Personally, I'm a lazy slug at home and cannot be arsed to do any actual working out there. I need to give someone (LA Fitness) my money each month in order to be motivated to work out. LOL!

I agree with all the above posters about getting or making some free weights. Two liter seltzer bottles filled with Water and taped together are about 5 lbs. for example.

Another thing not mentioned above is to consider adding is a TRX strap. The 'original' ones are expensive, but Fred MEyer and Target sell a knock off that's just fine. They all come with a booklet or video, and there's tons on line on Youtube. It's an adjustable strap with handles that uses your own weight to sculpt and tone, and typically your attach the strap but closing the door on it, with it's knob at the top on the other side of the door. The bonus there is that you shut the door on it, (with a Do Not Disturb! sign on it if you have roomies), and then it's a reminder not to leave the room until you're finished with your workout! I have one at our cabin where there's no gym--I alternate days with weight/strap and jogging.

great! thanks everyone for the input. i actually HAVE some dumbbells and a kettle bell too so they are a great start! i guess i didn't even think of youtube...today i did some old fashioned Sweatin To The Oldies and it was a great aerobic workout, but i have to get moving with some strength training.

I love my walking sticks. Try it. They tone the arms and encourage me to walk