Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's talk poop

You clicked on this. Just remember that.

I'm at that magical age where my colon is suddenly another body part to take care of. I got my colonoscopy at age 50 and got a clean bill of health.

However, I was told that high Fiber was good and one way to know you were getting enough fiber was if your poop floats.

You clicked on this.

Mine floated nicely for years. I also took fiber capsules every day. Now, post banding, I was told no fiber capsules (they expand inside you) so I stopped. And now I eat Protein, protein and more protein. Some veggies and occasionally carbs.

Not floating anymore.

I really don't want to have to mix up a cocktail of fiber in a glass every morning. But if I have to in order to stay healthy, so be it.

How do you maintain good colon health on a high protein diet?

Broccoli, cauliflower, green Beans, brown rice w/beans, red peppers, apples, cantaloupe, jicama, greens, carrots, brussle sprouts.

Remember that the size of the amount of veggies we eat does not have to compare to the size of the meat we eat? You can consume cups and cups of veggies and still only consume under 100 cals. But eat your veggies last or the large amount of veggies will cause you to no longer want to eat your Protein. But that's just me?

tmf

great topic I to went for my test and Fiber was discussed. please if someone knows answer share.

Oh yeah. Now my poop is chicken mcnuggets.

I use benefiber or a stool softener when things get really uncomfortable.

I can't eat enough volume of fiberous foods without band discomfort (too full, or the gas presses up into my band and causes discomfort) so even with their low calorie content, it's a volume issue for me and my pouch.

I just had to give up the 1 poop a day mindset when I got banded, because it really doesn't work that way with these smaller volumes of protein-heavy foods.

actually a tribe in Africa that eats mainly nuts and seeds have a 2lb poop everyday. and they have low incidence of disease. another doctor said a healthy poop is one where all you need to do is wipe once. and floating poop is saying you are not getting enough fiber. since the band and because of all the pain medications I have to take pooping has also became a daily thought and action. my surgeon says Miralax in the morning and at night until regular and than just once a day. but I found that to be to much. pooping all day long, yawn. so I use ducolax (sp) every night. and have a regular poop in the morning. works for me.

@@JustWatchMe OK lady I know this is about colon health and it's really important but thanks for the laugh! I saw the post title and I have been chuckling ever since! I just adopted a couple of puppies so it's all about poop for me these days but not my own!!! That's the reason for the laughter, and listen after a rough week at work a good Friday afternoon laugh and even a poop is great!

As far as my habits go...I don't worry about if it floats, deep dives or sails off into the sunset. If I have one every day I am a happy lady!

I try to get some fruits and vegies in but for me it's getting the Water in that can really help or hinder the situation. I will have a western egg white omelet at least once a week and that helps get the Protein and the fiber in even in a small amount. :)

actually a tribe in Africa that eats mainly nuts and seeds have a 2lb poop everyday. and they have low incidence of disease. another doctor said a healthy poop is one where all you need to do is wipe once. and floating poop is saying you are not getting enough fiber. since the band and because of all the pain medications I have to take pooping has also became a daily thought and action. my surgeon says miralax in the morning and at night until regular and than just once a day. but I found that to be to much. pooping all day long, yawn. so I use ducolax (sp) every night. and have a regular poop in the morning. works for me.

So floating isn't good then?

the Holy Shredded Wheat works well for me

I just had a colonoscopy this morning. Of course that means I had my prep yesterday. I'm glad I don't have to do that for another 10 years. And I don't even want to think about pooping.

I take strong pain meds that cause Constipation. My band doctor and my orthopaedic surgeon both recommend Collace for constipation (a very mild stool soften) I take 2 at bedtime every night... works great !!!! You can get it at any drug store...but I would check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking any new medication.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

I know what you mean! Always tended toward Constipation but since banding it has been harder to keep the track on track. Colon health is so important. I did a series of colonics this spring and I'm going for one next week. This is something I got in to when I was juice fasting in the old (desperate) days. The colon is the length of however tall a person is. Wild, huh? The colonic practitioner can sure talk poop -- it's amazing, really. She recommended a Squatty Potty and I got one. Basically it's just a stool to put your feet up on so the knees are up higher. Modern toilets are apparently too tall -- a problem in geriatrics as eldercare facilities, etc. often have very high toilets. We are meant to be squatting. I love my Squatty Potty -- it's like yoga, a different way of perching.

In my 100 calorie Greek yogurt cup I add chia seeds (about a tablespoon) and a few nuts, maybe crushed up walnuts or sunflower seeds, and gluten free high Fiber Cereal flakes -- can't fit much in the cup with the yogurt so there is automatic Portion Control. The chia is great for the digestive track. Sometimes I use ground flaxseed, too -- love the nutty flavor. And I eat almonds here and there, an apple is great for constipation. Also I drink aloe juice every day. We fill up glass jars almost all the way with Water and add 1/2 cup aloe and big splash of unsweetened cranberry. I can tell when I haven't had enough of these (two to three bottles a day). Aloe is great for the insides.

Yesterday I bought some asparagus to steam -- that will be good. I miss the high volume veg world. Did my share of raw food dieting. Every kind of dieting, lol. Not anymore!

Didn't look at this yesterday but just had to today. It really is all about the poop. What a challenge it's been for me since being banded. Who knew how wonderful a really good s**t could be once it became as rare as The Hope Diamond. I take a stool softener and a prescription med for IBS. I don't actually have IBS but the doctor feels it will help me stay regular. Well..turns out what works best for me is acupuncture. She puts the needles in my hand and ear and that's for digestion. It really works. Oh, and about floating turds...mine sink like the Titanic so maybe more fiber is needed. I eat my veggies regularly and I have salad once or twice a week so I'm not sure what else to do. I take Mirilax once in a while for bloating emergencies. My colonoscopy comes up shortly. All I'm looking forward to in regards to that procedure is weighing myself after being all cleaned out. Maybe I can get down to 120 lbs. When I was 16, I weighed 113 lbs. Obviously I don't have that body anymore but it would be sorta cool to know I weighed close to that number again.

Lol, I weighed after I was cleaned out and lost only 3 lbs. I expected a lot more.

Just a word of caution, Be very careful during the prep. I did fine til around 10 pm. I went to the bathroom and came out of the bathroom and passed smoothe out. I hit pretty hard evidently, though I have no memory of the fall. My tailbone is pretty sore. GI doc said I was pretty dehydrated. I ended up with extra I've fluids after my scoping. The prep is brutal.

thanks for the heads up Sandy. I'm so not looking forward to this but I have to do it...I should have done it when I turned 50 and that was six years ago.... My doctor is really annoyed with me... :wacko:

thanks for the heads up Sandy. I'm so not looking forward to this but I have to do it...I should have done it when I turned 50 and that was six years ago.... My doctor is really annoyed with me... :wacko:

Yep, I waited til 55. Glad its over with. My report was great, no polyps or anything. Doc said my intestines were a little "crooked" which could explain my slower bowels. The prep is inhumane, lol.