Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prior to surgery I gave up caffeine because I was told it is an irritant to the stomach. I have not started back on it, but at some point I would like to resume a cup of coffee in the morning. I am willing to do Decaf but would prefer caffeinated coffee. I am now 3 months out from surgery and wonder if it is safe to resume? Or should I stay away from caffeine permanently?

Prior to surgery I gave up caffeine because I was told it is an irritant to the stomach. I have not started back on it, but at some point I would like to resume a cup of coffee in the morning. I am willing to do Decaf but would prefer caffeinated coffee. I am now 3 months out from surgery and wonder if it is safe to resume? Or should I stay away from caffeine permanently?

My NUT said once we are allowed regular foods (4 weeks out for us) it is fine to have one cup of coffee a day. This is just what my NUT said and I would certainly recommend checking with yours because there are drastically different rules from doc to doc. I tried some coffee recently (4 wks out) and it wasn't irritating, I was fine. I didn't have a full cup, probably only like a 1/4 of a cup.

I was told to avoid caffeine because it can be dehydrating. I'm not sure if I can have it again or not. I know many, many bariatric patients eventually have caffeine, my husband included.

My dietician said at 12 weeks I could start coffee again. I gave up and started drinking it at 6 weeks. No problems, and the best cup of coffee ever!

I look forward to having some coffee within limitations at some point again! It must have tasted so delightful! ;)

I look forward to having some coffee within limitations at some point again! It must have tasted so delightful! ;)

I'm 8 months in and I drink 1 every morning. Sometimes even a Starbucks coffee. It's fine as long as you eat something 30 min before or 30 min after. That's how I feel atleast. :).

I've gotten a paper on Post Op rules but its loose about coffee etc. I was going to set a personal goal to possibly not have it for at least 6mths but that is very LOOSELY writen on my goal list! haha I do miss it I have not had any for about what? 10days I'm on my PreOp diet it says you can have Decaf coffee but I've opted to do without. I have anxiety as is and find myself not sleeping as I should.

I am 6 months out and I drink coffee everyday and I have been for months. Everybody is different but it never bothered me.

I interpret it as, IDEALLY we would never have it again...but sometimes you're desperate! I had a Starbucks iced tea for the first time since surgery the other day (10 weeks out) and had no issues at all. And it gave me quite a buzz since I hadn't had it in so long! So my thought is, we should save it for "emergencies " only.

coffee was on my hospital menu. I'm one week post op and have had a latte a few times which was suggested by my NUT! I was told to stay away from coffee if I was having problems getting my hydrating fluids in, but otherwise it is fine for me to have.

Thank you for all the input. I have my 3 month check up this Friday and I will discuss with the RN. I just wanted to see what actual sleevers had experienced. ????

I have coffee all the time. I throw a scoop of Protein powder into it and add a wee bit of Creamer and ice and make it an iced coffee. Keeps me regular, and since I tend to retain Water keeps me from bloating up. I do not count it toward my Water goal though. Water goal is separate.

My nut advised that caffiene/coffee were on the *never again* list post-op, however she also stated that they commonly have patients that disregard this advice.