Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to fifties group

Approved !! Waiting to hear from nurse about date to meet with surgeon and attend a full day class. Then date will be set. Hope March is my magic month !!

@@LainieG Very happy for you! Hope March is the month!

LainieG, congrats! So happy for you, I know it's been a very long time

@@LainieG so very happy and excited for you!

Approved !! Waiting to hear from nurse about date to meet with surgeon and attend a full day class. Then date will be set. Hope March is my magic month !!

Lainie I am sooooooo happy for you, it's been a long journey for you. so happy you can now see your rainbow. Keep us posted. I've thought of you often.

@@LainieG Congrats!! That is great news!

So I know there is a 2 week pre op diet, but do not know yet what it consists of, but will be finding out. In the meantime, what have some of you had on your pre op and how long did it last.

Is anyone here single and live alone ? I'd like to know how you are handling it. Think it is harder than if you have a family and have things around that may tempt you ? This is one of my concerns.

I will be removing anything edible from the house. What will keep for a while (nonperishbles) I am leaving with my son so he can eat what he wants. Will only have what I can eat in the house. To me this will make it easier, or at least I hope it will. Living alone I hope to this this will be an advantage.

This is very important to me to have this surgery. My brother passed away on Feb 2nd. I was in Texas at my niece's. She came up to see him before he was gone and we had to go back and he passed while gone. We came back last Thursday for the visitation and funeral. Heart disease runs in my family. Thank goodness it has not affected me except for a little A fib. He had a pacemaker and defibrillator implant a few years ago and later on replacements. He was not feeling good two weeks before he passed away. The heart center here in Columbia could do nothing for him so they transported him to St Luke's in KC. He was not a candidate for a heart transplant. They have an assist device that will help pump the heart but it has to be done in San Diego. He never would have made it there he was so sick so it was not a viable option. His right side of the heart could not pump enough blood and with nothing they could do his organs began shutting down. They started dialysis as he was not urinating at all. But he told them to stop. He was in so much pain and he told them he wanted to go home. So he went home on the 30th of Jan and hospice was set up. He became very agitated on Sunday night and the nurse was called in. She calmed him down around midnight and he went to sleep and died in his sleep at 1:30 am. But before that it was not a good death, he suffered hard the last two weeks of his life. The funeral was beautiful and he was buried in an old cemetery under a huge tree. The casket was gorgeous, made from barnwood with an inset picture of a barn and pasture on the lid. Now I have lost my parents and both brothers. Thank goodness, I have a wonderful son, two nieces, a nephew, two great-nephews and one on the way. The 3rd grandchild is to be born in June. So sad that he will miss that.

I don't know why I have told this whole story. It helps to talk about it with friends, and I consider you all my friends.

Nite all

LainieG , I'm so sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is to loose a member of your family.

@@LainieG, Sorry for your loss...

LainieG I am so sorry.

This is very important to me to have this surgery. My brother passed away on Feb 2nd. I was in Texas at my niece's. She came up to see him before he was gone and we had to go back and he passed while gone. We came back last Thursday for the visitation and funeral. Heart disease runs in my family. Thank goodness it has not affected me except for a little A fib. He had a pacemaker and defibrillator implant a few years ago and later on replacements. He was not feeling good two weeks before he passed away. The heart center here in Columbia could do nothing for him so they transported him to St Luke's in KC. He was not a candidate for a heart transplant. They have an assist device that will help pump the heart but it has to be done in San Diego. He never would have made it there he was so sick so it was not a viable option. His right side of the heart could not pump enough blood and with nothing they could do his organs began shutting down. They started dialysis as he was not urinating at all. But he told them to stop. He was in so much pain and he told them he wanted to go home. So he went home on the 30th of Jan and hospice was set up. He became very agitated on Sunday night and the nurse was called in. She calmed him down around midnight and he went to sleep and died in his sleep at 1:30 am. But before that it was not a good death, he suffered hard the last two weeks of his life. The funeral was beautiful and he was buried in an old cemetery under a huge tree. The casket was gorgeous, made from barnwood with an inset picture of a barn and pasture on the lid. Now I have lost my parents and both brothers. Thank goodness, I have a wonderful son, two nieces, a nephew, two great-nephews and one on the way. The 3rd grandchild is to be born in June. So sad that he will miss that.

I don't know why I have told this whole story. It helps to talk about it with friends, and I consider you all my friends.

Nite all

I have lost every member of my mother's family in the last several years. I am an only child and I have one cousin left on that side. I am fortunate to have 3 wonderful sons who have given me seven beautiful grandchildren and that was my reason for having the surgery. I want to be around to enjoy my family for a very long time.

I am so sorry for your loss. Knowing that your brother had a difficult time, I hope it inspires you to make this journey a successful one. I wish you peace for you and your family and the best of luck with your new life

@@LainieG, so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother & I'm glad you felt comfortable sharing that with us. thank you.

To answer your question about the pre-op diet, I was allowed Protein Drinks for Breakfast & lunch & dinner was meat & veggie only. I think 3 ounces of meat. Jello or broth in between, if I needed it.

I live w/my husband & you are correct, it can be more difficult when you live w/someone.

I had to stay busy to keep my mind off food. I won't lie, preop was really hard for me but I managed to lose 15lbs in the two week diet.

@@LainieG so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother & the difficult time it was. I have very little close family still around- both parents gone, my sister who is 10 years older lives across the country x 45 years & lives a different lifestyle.

Looking to your future is a good place to focus & belated congratulations on your approval. & yes, it's probably easier to live alone as far as the food goes- I was 2 months post op when my teenage daughter came home with fresh doughnuts!!(I loved doughnuts), made me want to cry, but then my older daughter made the Protein doughnuts for me from Eggface.

But I hope you'll have someone checking on you initially post op.

As far as preop diet, we had none except Clear Liquids the day ahead, I did loose 10 lbs in the 6 months before surgery & kept it off though.

Edited by SimplySue

That's one of my concerns. My husband and I will frequently include good food in our date nights. I imagine I will be sharing a bit of his meal instead of buying my own.