Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to fifties group

@@mjmboston - Thank you! I agree, that # of calories is a bit scary. I also have been averaging 900-1000, but I'm a bit farther out than you & the 6+ month diet plan was 1300-1500, but I thought the 3-6 month plan was 1000-1300. I'm sure it also depends on how much you're exercising- I'm just walking at this point & she recommended adding toning & resistance. I've lost about 8-10 lbs per month since the beginning of the year. I figure as long as I'm going down that's the important part. When I was really successful at weight watchers years ago, I was a slow looser then too. Plus some days I can only eat so much (lite days) & then other days have a greater capacity- no rhyme or reason & I don't push it.

Edited by SimplySue

Hello Everyone.

I am new to this group... but have not yet had my sleeve surgery. I am in the preplanning phase, trying to choose a doctor etc. I am looking for information and encouragement and tips on a great doc in Atlanta area. I also want the real truth about post op.... Does it hurt? Will my stomach stretch? Were your expectations met post surgery? Do you regret anything? What is eating really like after the surgery? Just a million questions before I embark on this journey and I wanted to ask here because I love there is a group for the 50 and Fabulous.

@ hi! welcome! I was sleeved last Thursday (4/23/15) In answer to your questions above.....Does Post op hurt? Well...all surgeries hurt. It depends on your pain threshold and pain meds. My pain was occasionally at a 7 or a 6 while over night at the hospital. I was sent home with pain meds, and occasionally it has been the same, but it gets increasingly better. I don't know how your stomach can stretch. They cut away the stretchy part. (but your surgeon can answer that one for you) Don't overeat, or eat the wrong thing when you are healing. Remember, it's only stapled together. It takes a while to heal. I regret nothing. I am down 20 pounds since the preop diet, and I am looking forward to a fit and healthy life! I hope I helped some.

@wannab. Glad to see you are on the other side of surgery . It is nice to have part one done.

Now on to other side of recovery

It can be life changing if you put your soul into it.

Keep updating your progress. Inquiring minds want to applaud you????

@@Julie norton I will do my best! I'm pretty good at updates. Today I thought I was hungry....so after I finished "sipping" my premier Protein shake, to get my 30 gms of Protein in, I made a 1/2 cup of Syntrax matrix mint cookie drink with silk. I drank it too. Now there is no room for anything else. I still have 1/2 a bottle of Water to finish! lol At least I can laugh about it and I'm not sick.

@ hi & welcome. First off, I have ZERO regrets. Even though some people question their decision shortly after the surgery, I NEVER had a moments doubt.

My 1st week was rough. Pain scale 8-9/10. I was supposed to stay one night in the hospital but stayed two. It was soooo hard for me to walk due to the pain & my surgeon would not release me until I walked successfully.

Fast forward a week later, pain was minimal, I just lacked energy. Please know, there are so many people I know who had minimal pain. This is solely my experience. I didn't want to sugarcoat it.

Stretching of the stomach is one I can't answer. I will say, I am six months out & I can eat more than I could 3 months ago. I have to be very mindful of what I eat-which was a surprise to me. I thought the first year would be mindless.

Once I got past the pain I had minimal issues. I never threw up, never had the foamy mouth ((can't remember what they call it) but this basically can happen if you eat too much or something doesn't agree with you. It has been smooth sailing. Giving up pop/soda was not a problem. I can eat everything I ate preop with no side effects, I just eat a lot less which is awesome.

Exercise is key, I thought I would get away w/losing weight without exercising. NOT. The stall is real (the fact that I'm over 50 & have a thyroid condition, makes this challenging) I lost maybe 3 lbs the last two months. I just started back working out more diligently, so hopefully the scale will move soon.

Best of luck to you.

You are the first person that I have seen comment on having A thyroid condition. I had not even thought to add that to the equation. I too, AM over 50, postmenopausal, and have hypothyroidism. On top of that, I am unable to even walk short distances for exercise while in physical therapy for my back. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I have lost 50 plus pounds in 4 months. I had been feeling pretty discouraged, and my surgeon is not a big cheerleader, unfortunately. I appreciate you adding this other element which helps me understand my slow loss.

@@kimmeesue, prior to having the surgery, I researched to make sure it was possible to lose weight w/a thyroid condition. The last 10 years I would work out 3-4 days a week& may lose 1 pound for an entire month. If I stopped working out ( mostly because I was frustrated) I would gain the pound back plus a few more! it was horrible!

I was prepared for my weight loss to be slow and it has been, but I AM losing. As the saying goes....slow & steady wins the race. That's what I'm hoping for

Oh ladies! Last meeting was Friday, Monday is Clear Liquids, then surgery Tuesday morning. Starting to question my decision, but know that this the only way I'll be able to get the weight off. Last minute jitters, I just need to persevere.

Hang in there...it is so worth it! I've lost 50# since starting the prep diet! Surgery was March 25th...

LisaGB, that's so great! Keep on doing what your doing must be right!!!

Surgery tomorrow am, have spent day cleaning house to keep me busy:). Hope to get some sleep eventually.

Hi Ladies! It's been a while since I posted anything but I have been following every one and reading the threads....looks like every one is doing pretty well. I was struggling with a 4 lb gain but thanks to tami88 on here, she sent me the 5 Day Pouch Test and got be back on track so I am now a lb below goal again.

One of the reasons I have been so busy (outside of our incredibly hectic but fun life!) is that my book is finally out! I so appreciate all the support I have had on this site; if it wasn't for the information and support here, I would have been so lost. It's been such a fascinating journey....

Hey Queen congrats on your book! I can't wait to read it. I had my 6 month nut appointment yesterday and I am at goal. For the first time in over 30 years I am no longer overweight. My weight is 140. I am going to try to lose another 5 to give me some wiggle room. My biggest concern right now is my hair. It really fell out and then stopped growing so I had it cut really short. My nails also broke off and quit growing. I am now seeing some nail growth and hope the hair follows. I still have a hard time getting my Protein in because I am not a big meat eater and it is hard to eat at work but I am am working on it. This site has been so important in supporting me. I know the rest of my life I will need to continue to follow the rules and keep moving. The sleeve is the best gift I ever gave myself.

Wow! 6 months and you are at goal! I remember when you first joined....how exciting for you!!! And my hair also fell out at about 5-6 months but it didn't last long and in no time it was back to normal. And I suck at getting all my Protein in as well...I have a whole chapter about both of those things. So excited for you; and like you, it was the best thing I ever did as well. I wish I would have kept going and lost another 5-7 lbs when I hit goal at 138....because now I fight for every lb I lose. But at 3.5 years out, I am still at goal, so I'm happy! And yes, you will have to watch it the rest of your life, but so do most normal weight people...so we are just one of them now!