Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to fifties group

Kathy how are things going for 4 weeks out. Good pain etc

@@Grandma2tweeties, I returned to work today and I am feeling really good. I told some of my friends that this past weekend was probably the first time I felt no pain. The first two weeks were really painful, but I should add that when I was released, I was instructed to give myself HEPRIN shots 3x a day. This added to my pain level. However, by the second week, the pain lessened each day.

I have not joined a support group yet. However, my bariatric center does have one.and I do plan on attending in December.

Kathy why the continued shots? I'm glad you're feeling better now. How are things going with your tolerance to food and ability to eat? How'd your weight loss going for you?

Bella thanks for the encouragement about the pre diet and the jump start bonus!

@@onmywaytoonederland Welcome!! I am fairly new as well. Surgery was originally scheduled for November 24th but I had to reschedule. Its now the week of December 15th, still waiting on the exact date. But finally heard on Monday insurance was approved. I was told by the Doc don't worry about it, they always approve (BCBS) but I was still worried!

Anyway, welcome! Looking forward to our journey!

Kathy why the continued shots? I'm glad you're feeling better now. How are things going with your tolerance to food and ability to eat? How'd your weight loss going for you?

My doctor is extremely cautious. He said most complications from this surgery is related to blood clots. So the shots were preventative. Personally, I felt it was a bit much.

Eating is going really well. I never got sick from anything I ate. I have had a few things that were uncomfortable (deli meat surprisingly & fish) seems like certain fish are difficult - not all.

I lost 17 lbs post op & 15 preop. I was told by others on this forum most people lose 20 the first month & approximately 10 the following months. Not sure how accurate this is. I have my two month f/u tomorrow, so I'll ask my surgeon.

Correction I have my ONE month follow-up tomorrow, not two.

Hi All, Thank you for the warm welcome! To answer questions, my pre op is the day before Thanksgiving. He has not said anything about a special pre op diet. Maybe he will then. Starting this coming Monday I am going to stop most carbs and all caffeine (just because I think it will help my liver). I am having this done in Vegas by one of the top doctors in the country. I know I'm in good hands and have the faith that this is the absolute right decision for me. Just a bit nervous about the anesthesia part.

Looks like we are all on our way to a happier, healthier 2015 and renewed energy! I can't wait!

p.s. Just thought I would add....I am understanding that one of the side effects of WLS is feeling cold....well, bring. it. on!!! Menopause has me flashing like a police bubble and I am so looking forward to feeling cold, and shopping for sweaters will not be a bad thing. :)

Edited by onmywaytoonederland

I didn't have any problems on liquids. Today was my first day on puréed. I started with a scrambled egg and after 4 bites I was in so much pain it was almost unbearable. Lasted about an hour, kept feeling like it was going to come back up but didn't(thank goodness) Anyone else have problems progressing? Today is day 14

Traveler 60. Just try every new food very cautiously, remembering to take very small bites and really chewing. The one time I had trouble was when I wasn't paying attention, while talking to my husband I was just eating like I used to, by the time I realized what I was doing my stomach was really hurting....now that talks you how mindlessly I used to eat :) one time was a lesson well learned. Good luck on trying new foods.

@@onmywaytoonederland, you are correct, a side effect is feeling cold and personally, I am loving that side effect. Not sure how long it will last but for now I love it. Maybe not so much in 5 years.... But I'll deal with it then.

Prior to being sleeved, I had just started having night sweats but I have not had one since my surgery. Yippie!

Welcome Ladies and Happy Birthday Lisa!!!

I've not had any problems with pureed foods, haven't tried an egg yet it's not on my list of pureed foods. Today is day 18 for me.

I didn't have any problems on liquids. Today was my first day on puréed. I started with a scrambled egg and after 4 bites I was in so much pain it was almost unbearable. Lasted about an hour, kept feeling like it was going to come back up but didn't(thank goodness) Anyone else have problems progressing? Today is day 14

Well, I am not looking forward being cold. I am one of those people who would take a nap with cold feet thinking it's going to get warm under the covers. Nope it's stays cold so therefore no nap for me. Yes I put socks on. It's a weird phenomenon. I also miss taking my hot soaking baths. I stopped almost a year ago because my knee would not bend all the way so getting out was tough. Boy , do I miss it. So after surgery and the knee surgery I will be able to get back in the tub. One of the things on my list for the winter is getting wool socks!!

Kathy thanks for the detailed response. I can't believe how wonderfully helpful everyone on this site is. I'm super excited countdown to preop appointment on this Wednesday the 19th. I was happy to hear about BCBS that's who I have to, blessed to have 100% coverage. I'm super excited to get through surgery and on the road to a healthier me!!!

Traveler I hope things get better for you soon. I'll keep you in my prayers!

9grammy how are you doing in eating areas and pain wise with post op.

My poor husband if I get colder, lol. He looked forward to my hot flashes......just his luck I only had a very few for like a month or so!!!